WORLD CUP PLAY-OFFS: the Scottish balls-up scenario. It couldn't happen, could it?!

nate

I have this utterly weird feeling that we're qualifying for this World Cup. I reckon Portugal are shite at the back, our midfield three would utterly dominate Serbia. So long as we don't pick up a host of bookings tomorrow I honestly feel positive about us.

I Never. Fuckin. Learn.

Amazing to think that idiot Murray at The Guardian was talking about tonight’s match being “meaningless” if we beat Moldova.

Winning tonight would be a massive boost to our hopes of qualifying. Being seeded doesn’t mean we’re home and dry of course but I’d certainly prefer to play Macedonia, Ukraine or Austria at Hampden than have to go to Portugal, Russia or Poland.

13 hours ago, Donathan said:

North Macedonia need a winner against Iceland to prevent Romania nicking their playoff berth. Either way that group is guaranteed to be unseeded. 

Finland/Ukraine group probably won’t be seeded either. Finland would need to beat France to get above us and Ukraine can’t get above us (but can finish second with a win in Bosnia and the Finns fail to beat France)

The Croatia win was poor for us. We now need to either win, or draw + any 3 of:

1) Spain beat Sweden by 3+ (7:45pm tonight) 21.5%

2) Bulgaria beat Switzerland by 5+ (7:45pm tomorrow) basically impossible 

3) Hungary beat Poland (7:45pm tomorrow) 16.9%

4) Finland fail to beat France by 3+ (Tuesday 7:45pm) almost certain

5) Belgium beat Wales (Tuesday 7:45pm) 41.3%

6) Netherlands get at least a point against Norway AND Turkey fail to beat Montenegro by 4 (Tuesday 7:45pm) 86.4%

I still fancy our chances with a draw. 4) and 6) should go our way and you’d hope one of 1), 3) and 5) goes our way 

Thanks for this! 

We have to play a full strength team against the Danes to try absolutely everything to secure a home tie for the semi final, let’s deal with with any suspensions if we need to…Obv SoD will come in for Patterson but the only other change we should consider surely is Dykes for Adams, I think we should play both tho and go for it! Packed Hampden under the floodies with no injuries and on a run, what an opportunity!

26 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

Thanks for this! 

We have to play a full strength team against the Danes to try absolutely everything to secure a home tie for the semi final, let’s deal with with any suspensions if we need to…Obv SoD will come in for Patterson but the only other change we should consider surely is Dykes for Adams, I think we should play both tho and go for it! Packed Hampden under the floodies with no injuries and on a run, what an opportunity!

Dykes and Adams for me work better as a pairing. I’d drop Armstrong and go back to the 3-4-1-2. If Dykes can’t go then maybe start Ryan Christie alongside Adams. 

Harsh on Armstrong. Looking back at the highlights did confirm that he lacks sharpness and confidence. He never stopped showing for the ball and making dangerous runs. Not the driving presence he was a few years ago though.

Well up for this but I would rather we get beat and pick up no bookings than we go hell for leather, win a spirited game and go into a vital game missing key players.

58 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Dykes and Adams for me work better as a pairing. I’d drop Armstrong and go back to the 3-4-1-2. If Dykes can’t go then maybe start Ryan Christie alongside Adams. 

I actually forgot about Armstrong mate, yep him and Adams should be the only 2 considered, Armstrong was decent, tricky one, wouldn’t be too fussed tho if Christie came in for him! Adams getting a booking would be a tough one but his movement and Dykes providing height is a no brainer for me! If both of them starting meant Armstrong & Christie were dropped I’d rather we went with that, have McGinn in behind.

Edited by M0rtonfc

4 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Many Southampton fans thought he was a strong candidate for their POTY last year (ultimately went to a JWP).

He hasn't been great for Scotland but think he still has a lot to offer once he is back up to form and fitness. Definitely a very good player.

Tbf, Southampton started last season well and then fell off a fucking cliff. Went from top of the league to relegation contenders.

19 minutes ago, velo army said:

Harsh on Armstrong. Looking back at the highlights did confirm that he lacks sharpness and confidence. He never stopped showing for the ball and making dangerous runs. Not the driving presence he was a few years ago though.

Well up for this but I would rather we get beat and pick up no bookings than we go hell for leather, win a spirited game and go into a vital game missing key players.

It’s a tricky one indeed but I think I would more fancy our chances at a sell out Hampden missing a few players against an unseeded team rather than full strength away to bloody Russia or somewhere heavy stinking! 

16 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

Aye, play the strongest team possible and worry about bookings later. We're going to be missing some players in the semi final and final (if we get there) anyway, we can't rest boys for the next two games.

Another factor that points me towards agreeing with you is the strength in depth of our squad atm. While we’ve got some key players on the tightrope, we’ve achieved positive results with key players missing in the past and of course we hope not to pick up too many yellows tonight anyway. 

Robertson suspended? Kick Tierney out to LWB and bring in reinforcements to the back 3.

Gilmour suspended? Ryan Jack should be brought back in for the playoffs if so.

McGinn is a trickier one to replace but we’ve got no shortage of creative options in the midfield. 

Originally I was in favour of resting folk, but with the way the playoffs are shaping, I think we need the seeding (or a spectacularly lucky draw) to have any realistic chance.

Almost every team that's played over the last few days have lost a couple of players to suspension, so we won't be the only ones. Plus come March who knows who'll even be available, so go for it tonight.  If we're behind at half-time you can withdraw players to protect them 

Clarke certainly seemed to suggest in his press conference that he would be playing as strong a team as possible. He made a very good point that there is no point worrying too much about yellow cards when the next games are 4 months away, the players could well end up injured and not in the squad anyway.

3 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

who is all on a booking? i know robertson is , he's experienced enough to get through most of the game without making a daft challenge, i wouldnt fancy resting players tonight.

Robbo, McGinn, Gilmour, Hendry, McTominay, O'Donnell, Adams and Nisbet.

Certainly some you wouldn't want to lose

Just now, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Robbo, McGinn, Gilmour, Hendry, McTominay, O'Donnell, Adams and Nisbet.

Certainly some you wouldn't want to lose

ahh , mcginn and gilmour worry me the most for getting booked. but if they are smart enough im sure they could do the job without picking up a yellow but it is a concern.

15 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

ahh , mcginn and gilmour worry me the most for getting booked. but if they are smart enough im sure they could do the job without picking up a yellow but it is a concern.

As much as I rate Gilmour, I sort of think he’s more replaceable in a one game situation than a lot of others in our team. Ryan Jack is one option to come back in or you move McTominay up to midfield. 

McGinn would be very difficult to replace. He’s miles ahead of our other attacking mids. 

Agreed McGinn is probably the most worrying (followed by Robertson and Gilmour) the rest we can do fairly easily without.

We just have no other players that are similar to McGinn. I assume the suspensions would also apply in a semi final so Clarke is right we just need to risk it for both of the next two games.