WORLD CUP PLAY-OFFS: the Scottish balls-up scenario. It couldn't happen, could it?!

nate

1 minute ago, Frank Grimes said:

Pitch is hilarious for the Russia game 

Players can’t even pass the ball 

Do love a game in the public baths  :thumsup2

Referees must be under some pressure not to abandon the match for these qualifiers.

7 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I saw people saying support Croatia. I get that Russia losing means they would still have a better chance of being seeded but I would much rather meet Russia than Croatia in the play offs. 

Would you rather host Croatia at Hampden or go to Russia though? Recent experience suggests neither is a particularly attractive proposition.

10 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Would you rather host Croatia at Hampden or go to Russia though? Recent experience suggests neither is a particularly attractive proposition.

Even if we are seeded none of the games will be easy as such. All the teams in the playoffs are likely to be higher in the FIFA rankings then us. Based on the Euros then I probably would rather take on Russia even if it was away. Of course the Ref will be bribed or threatened with punishment or probably both so…..

Hope that the Dutch do manage to qualify. Only seen a couple of their games, but they've looked absolutely wild at both ends and their matches could be quite entertaining.

41 minutes ago, Mr Tourette said:

Just looking at the Netherlands group and it could be a nervous night for them on Monday. Should Norway beat them and Turkey win in Montenegro, they will finish third on 20 points!

They shouldn’t really be losing at home to Norway 

Edited by Donathan

North Macedonia need a winner against Iceland to prevent Romania nicking their playoff berth. Either way that group is guaranteed to be unseeded. 

Finland/Ukraine group probably won’t be seeded either. Finland would need to beat France to get above us and Ukraine can’t get above us (but can finish second with a win in Bosnia and the Finns fail to beat France)

The Croatia win was poor for us. We now need to either win, or draw + any 3 of:

1) Spain beat Sweden by 3+ (7:45pm tonight) 21.5%

2) Bulgaria beat Switzerland by 5+ (7:45pm tomorrow) basically impossible 

3) Hungary beat Poland (7:45pm tomorrow) 16.9%

4) Finland fail to beat France by 3+ (Tuesday 7:45pm) almost certain

5) Belgium beat Wales (Tuesday 7:45pm) 41.3%

6) Netherlands get at least a point against Norway AND Turkey fail to beat Montenegro by 4 (Tuesday 7:45pm) 86.4%

I still fancy our chances with a draw. 4) and 6) should go our way and you’d hope one of 1), 3) and 5) goes our way 

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

We deserve to be in the play-offs. If we can't beat Denmark at Hampden then we don't deserve to be seeded. Pretty simple, imo.

The team seeded 10th in the world rankings ! Ahead of Germany. Would you say the same if we were playing Germany at home ?

Of course we could win or get a draw. But a defeat based on their rankings and recent performances would hardly be a surprise. 

I will go 1-1 and points 4 to 6 from the above happening. Knowing our luck we will and Wales will get a point from Belgium.