Montrose Vs Cove

Only 1 point separates the team's going into Saturday's fixture at Links Park. It's a top of the table clash for the second week in a row for Cove who were unlucky to not secure the 3 points against a resilient Queen's.

Montrose will be a stern test, currently on a 5 game unbeaten run which includes 3 draws. Mo have undoubtedly strengthen since the teams last met with Cammy B and Keating's coming in.

Cove are 3 wins, a draw and a loss in their last 5. Last week's match was our best performance all season. We looked like how we played last season (a positive) and have Harry Milne, Blair Yule and Scott Ross to return. Mitch broke his 7 league game goalless streak and Jamie Masson is looking fit and dangerous of the left flank.

Big 3 points up for grabs

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

Very tough game indeed but one I think we will win on Saturday.Cove are a good team no doubt about it but I reckon we will win this...👍⚽💙

Tough one to call but you might well be right. 3 wins and 3 losses away from home for us so far. It's bang or bust normally.

Last2 visits to LP for Cove were a 1-0 defeat thanks to a Fraser Fyvie og in a game we should have at least took a point from and a 2-0 win (think Mitch got them both)

I fancy Mitch to score again after his goal last weekend. If we repeat our performance against QP we'll be hoping to grab all the points.

Was impressed with Mo at Balmoral. Dangerous from set pieces and defending them is a wee chink in our armour. 

Can Mitch and Rory outscore Mo? That's how I see us winning.

13 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Tough one to call but you might well be right. 3 wins and 3 losses away from home for us so far. It's bang or bust normally.

Last2 visits to LP for Cove were a 1-0 defeat thanks to a Fraser Fyvie og in a game we should have at least took a point from and a 2-0 win (think Mitch got them both)

I fancy Mitch to score again after his goal last weekend. If we repeat our performance against QP we'll be hoping to grab all the points.

Was impressed with Mo at Balmoral. Dangerous from set pieces and defending them is a wee chink in our armour. 

Can Mitch and Rory outscore Mo? That's how I see us winning.

Two very good players right their Mitch and Rory keep them quiet then I think we will do okay.Hopefully Blair Lyons and James Keating's are back for the weekend Blair especially missed them both at Peterhead on Saturday.CH pairing will probably be Quinn who was immense last weekend along with Matty Alan or Kerr Waddell? Dillon will be suspended after that awful red card that nobody seem to take notice too apart from the linesman.

50 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Two very good players right their Mitch and Rory keep them quiet then I think we will do okay.Hopefully Blair Lyons and James Keating's are back for the weekend Blair especially missed them both at Peterhead on Saturday.CH pairing will probably be Quinn who was immense last weekend along with Matty Alan or Kerr Waddell? Dillon will be suspended after that awful red card that nobody seem to take notice too apart from the linesman.

Montrose appealed the red card, but the two match ban for Dillon was upheld.

8 hours ago, VillaKnollBoy said:

Montrose appealed the red card, but the two match ban for Dillon was upheld.

That's a pity. No excuse but from what I had heard McLean had been on the wind up the whole game and Dillon had simply had enough. Ref's surely see and hear when this is going on. Why don't they take action against it as unsporting conduct and book players for being "mouthy"?

16 hours ago, Brummo said:

That's a pity. No excuse but from what I had heard McLean had been on the wind up the whole game and Dillon had simply had enough. Ref's surely see and hear when this is going on. Why don't they take action against it as unsporting conduct and book players for being "mouthy"?

It would mean all 22 players on the pitch should get a card at some point then

Cove starting lineup is below. Shay Logan, who picked up a little knock late on against QP, misses out.

Hartley picking Finn and Vigurs over Yule and Scully is madness for me. Why leave energy and pace on the bench for a ex-prem player who isn't overly impressive.

Harry back is a huge plus. He and Masson on the left side should be dangerous and give supply to Mitch and Rory

Screenshot_20211106-141040.jpg

12 minutes ago, broomiesniper said:

Pretty poor game, ruined somewhat by the wind. Fair result in the end 

Agreed about the wind ruining the game. I thought Montrose edged the match overall and had some good opportunities coming from the wings.

Cove were fairly poor in position and looked disjointed at times. Apart from Mitch's chance which he put over the bar when one on one we didn't offer much.

All really tight at the top. Impressed again with Montrose. Solid team with no really weakness

8 hours ago, The Gable Endie said:

It would mean all 22 players on the pitch should get a card at some point then

I know gamesmansip is thought of as being part of the game but i.m.o. if a player is being persistently verbally abusive,  the referee should warn him and book him if he doesn't take a telling.

Felt Montrose did OK today, considering the wind. Cove looked pretty solid at the back and were a threat up front but along with luck and poor finishing, the Mo defence, minus Dillon, stood up well to everything thrown at them.

The wind did reduce the game to head tennis at times. On days like today I am just glad it didn't lead to us conceding some kind of freak goal. 

Edited by Brummo
None given

Happy to file this one under 'two teams mostly cancelling each other out' and move along. Very wind afflicted, as already mentioned. Shame Tezza blasted his sitter over the bar, I think we maybe just about deserved to nick it on the second half showing. Cove were as I expected, though didn't have the cutting edge you'd think. Onward.

Edited by Scorge

55 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Agreed about the wind ruining the game. I thought Montrose edged the match overall and had some good opportunities coming from the wings.

Cove were fairly poor in position and looked disjointed at times. Apart from Mitch's chance which he put over the bar when one on one we didn't offer much.

All really tight at the top. Impressed again with Montrose. Solid team with no really weakness

Agreed 

I think Montrose were the better team and should be disappointed not to have taken any of their chances. 

we were fortunate to come away with a point having only had 1 real good opportunity.

montrose are a really good team though 

Mo had the better chances and edged it. Mitch and Rory double act were kept at bay apart from Mitchs lob over the bar. Had it not been for the Force 9 it might have dropped in. A bit more composure and Masson could have won it for us.

As most have said, only winner today was the wind.

Should’ve won the game but once again our lack of a killer instinct caught up with us. The back 5 (inc Annie) were standouts … Whately had his best game in a long time. Midfield was ok. Upfront we were poor .. Webby tried hard and created a couple of chances. Keatings missed a sitter and overall was at best meh! 

6 minutes ago, notsofedupendie said:

Should’ve won the game but once again our lack of a killer instinct caught up with us. The back 5 (inc Annie) were standouts … Whately had his best game in a long time. Midfield was ok. Upfront we were poor .. Webby tried hard and created a couple of chances. Keatings missed a sitter and overall was at best meh! 

Terry played brilliantly and dispossessed Cove continually. The two Cammy Ballantyne’s stood out also

The Mo have conceded the least goals in the league. Says it all about the defence.

15 hours ago, Mid-Links Faithful said:

Can’t help thinking that Cove would be a far better team if Vigurs and Fyvie spent less time trying to influence the referee and get on with playing football.  Also Hartleys tactics are always devoid of flair.    Do Cove fans enjoy this approach?  

Be a far better team without Vigurs in my opinion. He's played every minute of the 17 out of 19 match day squads he's been involved and in large has been grossly average. Cost us a few points (Clyde comes to mind).

Cove fans would rather see Scully play, who has great work-rate and is more box to box than Vigurs. He'd compliment Fyvie more.

They do moan no denying that.

Hartley's recruitment has been poor this summer. Shay Logan the only good addition. Morgyn Neill and Vigurs average at best and the other 5 not worth a shirt. 

We've signed far too many defensive midfielders and have little creativity or attacking midfielders. Our downfall I think.

Mo, on the othe hand, have a great manager who rarely signs a player who doesn't compliment the side. Uses the loan market well and has a cohesive unit of a team.

Mo are only 1 player away from being top and perhaps staying there for me and that's a striker. Not sure Keatings is a 20 goal a season striker.

Montrose are a danger to everyone in the league and will be right near the top at the season end.

On 07/11/2021 at 11:05, CoveRangers1922 said:

Be a far better team without Vigurs in my opinion. He's played every minute of the 17 out of 19 match day squads he's been involved and in large has been grossly average. Cost us a few points (Clyde comes to mind).

Cove fans would rather see Scully play, who has great work-rate and is more box to box than Vigurs. He'd compliment Fyvie more.

They do moan no denying that.

Hartley's recruitment has been poor this summer. Shay Logan the only good addition. Morgyn Neill and Vigurs average at best and the other 5 not worth a shirt. 

We've signed far too many defensive midfielders and have little creativity or attacking midfielders. Our downfall I think.

Mo, on the othe hand, have a great manager who rarely signs a player who doesn't compliment the side. Uses the loan market well and has a cohesive unit of a team.

Mo are only 1 player away from being top and perhaps staying there for me and that's a striker. Not sure Keatings is a 20 goal a season striker.

Montrose are a danger to everyone in the league and will be right near the top at the season end.

I think everyone is a danger to everyone else in the league. Clyde pulled two last minute goals for a draw, I don’t think DGW was even involved? At Broadwood so didn’t see the game.
Spot on with you comments about the Mo. 
I also think our manager would rather keep a happy team than have some high flying egotist, who can score goals but rocks the boat. Mo fans are usually surveyed as being the most content with their club out of all the 42 teams and a fourth place is a great achievement. There are clubs gutted that they come in 2nd or 3rd, but the Mo doesn’t have that kind of pressure. I reckon a lot of this has to do with our board of directors. I know two of them, used to work for one and you couldn’t find a better boss who knows how to get the most from his people, and never an angry word said.