St Johnstone vs St Mirren 06.11.21

54 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

From an outsider looking in, it seems that St Johnstone often have either a slow start or a bit of a form slump before going on to really hit form later in the season. I wouldn't be at all worried if I was a St Johnstone fan. 

We won 5 out of 19 home games last season, and scored 9 goals. In total we won 11 games and scored 36.

This season we've won 1 out of 7 home games. We've scored 6 but 3 of those came in one game. Take that out and we've watched 6 home games, 0 wins, and 3 goals scored, one of which was an own goal. In total its 3 wins from 13 and 8 goals.

Davidson is incredibly fortunate he's got a ridiculous cup record, as the league has been dire for the most part. He'll take us to safety again I'd expect, simply because we can keep clean sheets, but the leagues too good now to do anything of note if your scoring less than a goal a game.

Your point about winning the double and still ending up with a weaker squad, is a fair one but was it realistic to replace McCann and Kerr with better players? We had our best league season in 20 years last season but we'll never be able to replace McGrath with a player of similar quality when he leaves.

Nobody thinks we shouldve improved on them.

But there's no doubt planning would've got us better attempts. Manager wanted Muller on loan to replace Kerr. A kid with 0 appearances. Wanted another young loan after Kerr left so Dendoncker came in. Then decided he needed experience, so Ambrose came in. All 3 randomly rotate in that position despite all 3 struggling for different reasons. It's just scattergun as f**k.

CM the same. Manager pushes for Gilmour. Gilmour comes in and doesn't play for 5 months. Gilmour gets long term deal. Gilmour keeps getting injury that was issue for him before he even signed and misses pre season. Gilmour, the managers plan to replace McCann, now on loan at Alloa. His next great plan was loaning MacPherson from yourselves. Someone we presumably can't even sign in the Summer without spending money, which would be an abysmal decision.

That's ignoring the fact we have no genuine RWB alternatives to Rooney, as we signed a traditional RB who can't attack as the option there, who funnily enough also competes with the other 3 for the RCB spot. So we're playing MOH there which works well once or twice every few months. We've 3 genuine strikers on the book. One has never been a scorer, one's decided he's a left winger and doesn't go near the box, and the other is frozen out because he's more interested in trying to score than chasing the ball all over the park like a dog.

The squad has completely gone to shit in the last 12 months.

Edited by RandomGuy.

St Johnstone is like when one of those Russian oligarchs who take over a small club which has no fans and a poor stadium then gets them up the leagues.

It's just a shame for them that instead of a stupidly rich Russian, they got the Brown family.

St Johnstone is like when one of those Russian oligarchs who take over a small club which has no fans and a poor stadium then gets them up the leagues.
It's just a shame for them that instead of a stupidly rich Russian, they got the Brown family.
Or worse, owned by fans who are demonstrably thick as f**k.

9 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

St Mirren fans lording it over Saints after that is a truly stunning occurrence.

Fans reactions to the game probably sums up why one's the 3rd most successful side of the past decade, with regular top 6 finishes, 3 major trophies and a couple of attempts at Europe, while the other is treating a top 6 finish like the holy grail.

One set absolutely seething about a draw against a dross side with no attacking threat. The other set buzzing about a 0-0 draw against a dross side who offer no attacking threat and couldn't pass the ball. 

26 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Today I learnt that booking a room in a local pub = kicking f**k out of rival fans and stealing their pub according to the Paisley teenage brigade.

That right? There was some videos after the Dundee game as well. Not ideal. Our away fans have built a pretty good rep for a number of reasons so I'd hate for that to sour.

That right? There was some videos after the Dundee game as well. Not ideal. Our away fans have built a pretty good rep for a number of reasons so I'd hate for that to sour.

For being a 0-0 the atmosphere was very loud and it was constant. I know a lot of people like to mock the Mcdiarmid atmosphere but between both sets of fans it was loud, despite the on-pitch action.

I think some of the people in these “ultra” groups just need to grow up and stop thinking they’re in the football factory, or they’re going to get in serious trouble eventually.

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

No need for that sort of pondlife behaviour.

15 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

St Mirren fans lording it over Saints after that is a truly stunning occurrence. Yes they were a wee bit better, but that was two utterly incompetent teams trying to play a game of football.  Absolutely lacking in any technical competence. Dreadful, turgid shite, disgraceful from both sides.

Ali Crawford a passenger, contributed nothing. McCart dogshite bad.  Middleton appalling, couldn't control anything, hopeless today.

Awful conditions, but I don't care what anyone says that was very much a Tommy Wright late Maclean era performance. Lump the ball forward and hope for the best. Attrocious.

There's no way folk will keep returning to watch that, 5 games in a row now. It is post 2014 Cup win all over again.

Its a point at home I suppose, but ffs give us something to cheer or get excited about. That was as low for entertainment factor as I can remember for a long time.

I suppose at least we changed it early, but you look at our squad and struggle to see anyone that can make a huge difference, we are just a squad of journeyman hardworking players.

You reap the seeds you sow, and we've completely brought this on ourself through complacency.

Banter aside, that was a horrible game to watch and very similar to last week against Dundee. The only difference is you didn’t score with one of your few chances. 
Jim has got us to be a reasonably solid side but it’s not entertaining or high scoring…………….we are looking more like a Tommy Wright side every week. 

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

That’s the wee dispute 

A wee look at his profile "Retweet to win two tickets to meet Paul Ferris". 
Clearly a fucking wee rocket. 

He’s also deleted the comment after getting pulled up for his bullshit. [emoji23].

Shame, some of the ultra groups do get a good atmosphere but idiots like that who want to act like an extra from green street need to grow up.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Young lads scrapping eh?

Only people who really know what happened would be @Sainteepip or @tree house tam

I'm probably more ITK about how many sugars you need to make McDiarmid tea bearable than a couple of 14 year olds pretending their Pete Dunham nowadays. Thank f**k.

Hope Pip gives us some more input. I've been ill and the missus has been going out to work everyday, I think she's at it without me.........

3 hours ago, Torfason said:

Banter aside, that was a horrible game to watch and very similar to last week against Dundee. The only difference is you didn’t score with one of your few chances. 
Jim has got us to be a reasonably solid side but it’s not entertaining or high scoring…………….we are looking more like a Tommy Wright side every week. 

We had chances??! 

😃

17 hours ago, Torfason said:

I think that is spot on tbf. Said exactly the same thing on Saturday, it was like a CD saints vs a Tommy Wright saints. To be fair to Jim Goodwin, it's not a bad approach to take as a basis and in a way isn't entirely a fair reflection as you move the ball about a bit more than a standard Tommy Wright team did aside from his last season. If he can get you in and around the top 6 for a few years and build on that squad, St Mirren will be in a very good place. I'd say as an opposition fan, it is noticeable that St Mirren have become a much more difficult opposition each season he has been in charge.

Edited by Theyellowbox