St Johnstone vs St Mirren 06.11.21

2 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Agreed. Like I said earlier, we were poor in the final 3rd.

Starting with Main up top is the reason for that.

To be honest I’m not sure that anyone else up there would have changed it - our weak points were there and even without Main on you didn’t try exploit them 

Last time Buddies fans were so excited about the possibility of maybe being slightly better than us for the first time in decades I offered a £10 charity bet we’d still finish above them (in the Livi 3-0 thread). The silence was deafening innit. Offer still open if any of you don’t shit your pants…

That was an eye bleeding game of football. 2 sides who have a complete lack of creativity or goal scoring ability. We were utterly woeful and aside from Bryson, no player gets pass marks. Excluding Zander as he had very little to do.

I'm not sure I've seen as bad a defensive performance in a long time as McCart. Utterly dreadful and it rubbed off on Muller.

While we were never going to score, I never felt like st Mirren were going to either. Heard Goodwin saying they dominated and performed well. If that is his standard and benchmark for performing well, then his standards are too low. St Mirren were marginally the better team, but that isn't saying much. That said, feels like the most strength and depth St Mirren have had for a long long time.

12 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Last time Buddies fans were so excited about the possibility of maybe being slightly better than us for the first time in decades I offered a £10 charity bet we’d still finish above them (in the Livi 3-0 thread). The silence was deafening innit. Offer still open if any of you don’t shit your pants…

I'll take that bet shit kicker....

banjo-deliverance.gif

10 hours ago, Munoz said:

They have indeed- so much so McGrath has been their best player when he's played. 

Fortunately for you lot, it doesn't look like he'll be playing today.

Pleased he wasn't playing today anyway. Think he'd have taken advantage of our ineptitude across the park.

24 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Pleased he wasn't playing today anyway. Think he'd have taken advantage of our ineptitude across the park.

Was better than any of the Sainteeees non existent midfield. 

Considering he was back 3 weeks after a "season ending injury " , I felt he didn't do to badly. 

worzel-gummidge.gif

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

We all know McCart is leaving in January. Our biggest problem was the absolute clownshoe Summer window we had where nobody at the club done a fucking thing until the HOR was appointed. We literally have nobody we can drop him for.

Funny your statement of fact is ok,but anyone else’s about Eetu are made up rumours,my money is on him not being here next year,but that’s opinion,not fact 

It was definitely for dissent. I can only assume he’s said something way over the score because he’s hardly being demonstrative about it. A dreadful decision to give the foul in any event that resulted in the dissent - Wotherspoon clearly toes the ball away from the guy. 

2 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Funny your statement of fact is ok,but anyone else’s about Eetu are made up rumours,my money is on him not being here next year,but that’s opinion,not fact 

615818352_Eb8YoSYUwAAeugO(1).thumb.jpg.cb83d40e1db0ca437f18894fc76a198e.jpg

St Mirren fans lording it over Saints after that is a truly stunning occurrence. Yes they were a wee bit better, but that was two utterly incompetent teams trying to play a game of football.  Absolutely lacking in any technical competence. Dreadful, turgid shite, disgraceful from both sides.

Ali Crawford a passenger, contributed nothing. McCart dogshite bad.  Middleton appalling, couldn't control anything, hopeless today.

Awful conditions, but I don't care what anyone says that was very much a Tommy Wright late Maclean era performance. Lump the ball forward and hope for the best. Attrocious.

There's no way folk will keep returning to watch that, 5 games in a row now. It is post 2014 Cup win all over again.

Its a point at home I suppose, but ffs give us something to cheer or get excited about. That was as low for entertainment factor as I can remember for a long time.

I suppose at least we changed it early, but you look at our squad and struggle to see anyone that can make a huge difference, we are just a squad of journeyman hardworking players.

You reap the seeds you sow, and we've completely brought this on ourself through complacency.

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

St Mirren fans lording it over Saints after that is a truly stunning occurrence. Yes they were a wee bit better, but that was two utterly incompetent teams trying to play a game of football.  Absolutely lacking in any technical competence. Dreadful, turgid shite, disgraceful from both sides.

Ali Crawford a passenger, contributed nothing. McCart dogshite bad.  Middleton appalling, couldn't control anything, hopeless today.

Awful conditions, but I don't care what anyone says that was very much a Tommy Wright late Maclean era performance. Lump the ball forward and hope for the best. Attrocious.

There's no way folk will keep returning to watch that, 5 games in a row now. It is post 2014 Cup win all over again.

Its a point at home I suppose, but ffs give us something to cheer or get excited about. That was as low for entertainment factor as I can remember for a long time.

I suppose at least we changed it early, but you look at our squad and struggle to see anyone that can make a huge difference, we are just a squad of journeyman hardworking players.

You reap the seeds you sow, and we've completely brought this on ourself through complacency.

Agree with every line of this except the last  - it's not complacency. I think it's just the small family business mentality of the owners. 

It's served us well and it feels ungrateful to complain, but after yesterday's 'performance' I will. How we can win a cup double, have 2 big European ties, almost double our ST sales, sell our best player and get the same government loan as everyone else to reduce the covid impact and still come out the other side with a weaker squad beggars belief. Especially given we went into covid in a better financial position than our rivals. 

Clinging on to the hope that it's just a case of making sure we're clear of the pandemic impact and bedding in the HoR role before opening the purse strings. Even though we know the first priority will be infrastructure. I'm sure the surface will be lovely on the empty car park next year. 

15 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

I wonder whether Jamie McCart will receive the same amount of criticism that Efe Ambrose would have received if he’d put in a similar performance.

He did from me today.  I don't usually criticise players during a game. But McCart was awful today and didn't seem to care about being awful.  Nothing like the player he was last season. 

5 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Agree with every line of this except the last  - it's not complacency. I think it's just the small family business mentality of the owners. 

It's served us well and it feels ungrateful to complain, but after yesterday's 'performance' I will. How we can win a cup double, have 2 big European ties, almost double our ST sales, sell our best player and get the same government loan as everyone else to reduce the covid impact and still come out the other side with a weaker squad beggars belief. Especially given we went into covid in a better financial position than our rivals. 

Clinging on to the hope that it's just a case of making sure we're clear of the pandemic impact and bedding in the HoR role before opening the purse strings. Even though we know the first priority will be infrastructure. I'm sure the surface will be lovely on the empty car park next year. 

From an outsider looking in, it seems that St Johnstone often have either a slow start or a bit of a form slump before going on to really hit form later in the season. I wouldn't be at all worried if I was a St Johnstone fan. 

Your point about winning the double and still ending up with a weaker squad, is a fair one but was it realistic to replace McCann and Kerr with better players? We had our best league season in 20 years last season but we'll never be able to replace McGrath with a player of similar quality when he leaves. 

From an outsider looking in, it seems that St Johnstone often have either a slow start or a bit of a form slump before going on to really hit form later in the season. I wouldn't be at all worried if I was a St Johnstone fan. 
Your point about winning the double and still ending up with a weaker squad, is a fair one but was it realistic to replace McCann and Kerr with better players? We had our best league season in 20 years last season but we'll never be able to replace McGrath with a player of similar quality when he leaves. 

For me, I was more annoyed about the fact we sold them both on deadline day and replaced them with loanees.

As much as I love Davidson, his reliance on the loan market may catch us out.

27 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Oh, to be clear I'm not worried as such, I'm sure we'll be 'fine'. It's just another opportunity to kick on could be missed. 

Also the point about replacements is fair but as others have pointed out it very much looked as if the situation caught us by surprise, which it really shouldn't have done. 

Add to that we've not seen any positive statements suggesting that we're going to back the manager with signings to improve the team. It's been plugging gaps with journeymen. Hopefully it's just treading water because we're a very cautious club, but the next 2 windows are incredibly important for this club and from a fan's point of view it would be great to see some signs of ambition. 

EDIT - on reflection it's not fair to say we have a weaker squad, we've added numbers so have more depth which we've needed. However the quality is certainly lower. 

30 minutes ago, The Marly said:

He did from me today.  I don't usually criticise players during a game. But McCart was awful today and didn't seem to care about being awful.  Nothing like the player he was last season. 

It's the not caring I noticed too, absolutely no urgency taking throw-ins, very little communication, wasn't shouting at himself when he misplaced passes. 

Reminded me of Edouard's last season at Celtic, just looked like he had no interest in being there at all. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese