Queen's Park v East Fife

Calling out Ellis isn’t the solution, unless of course it’s to say he’s got his recruitment mix wrong. To have two-thirds of the game with the ball under control and yet have less shots on target tells it all. Too many playing safe with across field passes rather than driving down the channels. And stop the crossing into the penalty box as the main route of direction. We simply don’t have the strikers for that. 

We could of course recruit a deadly striker who is in the end-of-career phase but still can score out of nothing. I can think of only two in this league, and one of them is settled in the north-east. How badly do you want to win this league? How much Corinthian spirit do we have left?

image.thumb.png.08c0191bd0493d5c3bb9510237e11eb5.png

Calling out Ellis isn’t the solution, unless of course it’s to say he’s got his recruitment mix wrong. To have two-thirds of the game with the ball under control and yet have less shots on target tells it all. Too many playing safe with across field passes rather than driving down the channels. And stop the crossing into the penalty box as the main route of direction. We simply don’t have the strikers for that. 
We could of course recruit a deadly striker who is in the end-of-career phase but still can score out of nothing. I can think of only two in this league, and one of them is settled in the north-east. How badly do you want to win this league? How much Corinthian spirit do we have left?

image.thumb.png.08c0191bd0493d5c3bb9510237e11eb5.png

Longstaff and Smith are better than Moore. Connell is better than Thomson. Fox has been better than Kilday.

I'm disappointed by the result but some fans need to get a grip. After 13 games we are 1 point off the top of the league.
Agree with this...
We seem to have a high proportion of faultless football managers in our support [emoji849]
I didn't enjoy the 2nd half partly down to frustrating lack of tempo and urgency on the pitch but also Ibrox type atmosphere with moans and groans for every stray pass, high pitched get your act together Queens and a Thomson you're useless shout
Don't think any of that helps the players...
We played some of our best stuff early in the season with Gillespie and Brown bossing the midfield I'm not sure where Carroll fits in and whether all 3 can play together?
I'm sure the experts will have the answers...

10 minutes ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

Agree with this...
We seem to have a high proportion of faultless football managers in our support emoji849.png
I didn't enjoy the 2nd half partly down to frustrating lack of tempo and urgency on the pitch but also Ibrox type atmosphere with moans and groans for every stray pass, high pitched get your act together Queens and a Thomson you're useless shout
We played some of our best stuff early in the season with Gillespie and Brown bossing the midfield I'm not sure where Carroll fits in and whether all 3 can play together?
I'm sure the experts will have the answers...

Well you could start by actually playing Liam Brown in the position from which he was dominating matches earlier in the season rather than out wide.

Connell fits in the midfield just fine. Jack Thomson is offering nothing right now, either defensively or creatively.

14 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Well you could start by actually playing Liam Brown in the position from which he was dominating matches earlier in the season rather than out wide.

Connell fits in the midfield just fine. Jack Thomson is offering nothing right now, either defensively or creatively.

Alarmingly it seems that Ellis has no clue how to use Brown and Connell in the same team. If Connell plays, Brown is punted out wide and if Brown is deployed further forward, Connell is made to be the scapegoat and is placed on the bench which is absolutely criminal. Thompson playing every minute of every game suggests that he doesn’t trust Gillespie to play the holding role by himself which I find rather odd. Would be inclined to see Jake Davidson next week ahead of Thompson if the manager is insistent on two holding midfielders

1 hour ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

Agree with this...
We seem to have a high proportion of faultless football managers in our support emoji849.png
I'm sure the experts will have the  answers...

This is the reality now of full time football and money being pumped into squad recruitment. If professional players can’t take some justified criticism off paying fans then quite simply they’re in the wrong profession. That’s not to say that abuse is acceptable by any means but you can’t seriously be expecting fans to be happy clappers and continue to be satisfied with what’s being served up on the pitch at the moment. I think in comparison to the vast majority of full time clubs in Scotland, I’d say we’re the last fan base to give off an Ibrox type atmosphere. It’s not the amateur days anymore, where effort was commended in abundance. Quite simply it’s a results driven environment nowadays 

Edited by qpfc

Queen's clearly have a good squad and keep possession and move the ball about very well. But my impression of them from the two games so far is they can be a bit one dimensional. Keep them in front of you, and limit their space to pass the ball about in dangerous areas and it looks like they run out of ideas a little bit. Add their recent defensive frailty and they don't look like a team who're going to pull away at the top of the league unless one or both of those issues are sorted.

They look like a side who're more toothless than they should be as long as you don't come out and play into their strengths. They've been unable to beat us in two goes. Compare that to Montrose, who've spanked us twice, and seem able to relentlessly find a way in, no matter how you set out to play against them.

It really comes down to a lack of professionalism. It looks like we think we’ve done enough and never learn the lesson. I’ve watched decent amateur QP sides that lost late goals, but I’ve never seen it become such a distinct pattern.

It’s not just the defending of leads. The knock on effect of Simon Murray’s actions last week were felt yesterday as well. Some of them need to ask serious questions of themselves. We’re 2nd and that’s fine, but none of us would have accepted five wins from thirteen at the beginning of the season. We don’t judge ourselves on what the rest of the league is doing. We should be setting high standards for ourselves and getting honesty when they’re not met. I don’t think that’s happening.

This has to improve. It’s not cuddly amateur hour anymore. These guys are on the payroll and it’s their job to deliver for the club. It’s only right that people ask questions when the same things keep happening. We absolutely will drop points in a tough league like this, but that’s not the issue. It’s how we’re doing it and how we’re not reacting.

Edited by an86

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

Queen's clearly have a good squad and keep possession and move the ball about very well. But my impression of them from the two games so far is they can be a bit one dimensional. Keep them in front of you, and limit their space to pass the ball about in dangerous areas and it looks like they run out of ideas a little bit. Add their recent defensive frailty and they don't look like a team who're going to pull away at the top of the league unless one or both of those issues are sorted.

They look like a side who're more toothless than they should be as long as you don't come out and play into their strengths. They've been unable to beat us in two goes. Compare that to Montrose, who've spanked us twice, and seem able to relentlessly find a way in, no matter how you set out to play against them.

This is pretty much the comment from most in your position every week. Our angst is that if occasional observers like your goodself can spot it, why can’t our coaching staff. 

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

I don’t understand the same post about being near the top so don’t be bothered. It’s November, it means nothing to be near the top. If the poor form continues then we won’t be there when it actually matters. We need to find our best system and starting 11 now. 

Really enjoyed our football at the start of the season and thought Ellis had a better football brain than McKinnon. His selection is concerning though and rightfully should be scrutinised. Thomson>Connell and Kilday>Fox in recent weeks especially…

It is bizarre for all of us QP fans. Years of following the team not expecting anything really and just appreciating the effort and wins when they came along. Now with the finance etc we have built up an expectation. New space for us all. Need to stick together. 

Edited by QPSpider1867

I'm still not getting this Queen's Park negativity. I'll refrain from the ent*****ent word. 

You've had a more than decent start to the season. Alloa Athletic and East Fife know what this level is about and have deservedly taken points off you. 

If you continue to pick up points at the same rate you will make the play-offs comfortably, you might even get promoted. What more are you expecting? 

Keep the same group of players together for next season and you can probably go one better and go up as champions. 

I'm still not getting this Queen's Park negativity. I'll refrain from the ent*****ent word. 
You've had a more than decent start to the season. Alloa Athletic and East Fife know what this level is about and have deservedly taken points off you. 
If you continue to pick up points at the same rate you will make the play-offs comfortably, you might even get promoted. What more are you expecting? 
Keep the same group of players together for next season and you can probably go one better and go up as champions. 
Yeah, you're not wrong. It's just that it's painful to watch us do this so regularly, and in such a crushing fashion.

22 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Missing the point spectacularly. Everyone accepts that this is a tough league and everyone accepts that we’ll drop points. Yesterday was the third time in recent times that we’ve led a game in the 90th minute and not seen it out. Once? It happens. Take it on the chin. Twice? Have we not learnt our lesson? Three times? That’s problem territory and a pattern. 

4 minutes ago, an86 said:

Missing the point spectacularly. Everyone accepts that this is a tough league and everyone accepts that we’ll drop points. Yesterday was the third time in recent times that we’ve led a game in the 90th minute and not seen it out. Once? It happens. Take it on the chin. Twice? Have we not learnt our lesson? Three times? That’s problem territory and a pattern. 

You're still spectacularly (your word) missing the bigger picture. You are doing well, and likely to make the play-offs. 

3 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

You're still spectacularly (your word) missing the bigger picture. You are doing well, and likely to make the play-offs. 

Probably true to say that every single Queen’s Park fan would have taken 2nd at this point in the season. It’s also probably true to say that if someone had offered most fans five wins from the first thirteen, many would have expected a better return. That’s not entitlement. When you’re full-time and money is being spent, the expectation to perform is greater. 

Nobody is asking or expecting us to storm through this league battering teams, but we’re consistently pissing away points at the death. It’s perfectly legitimate to ask questions of both the players and the manager as to why that is happening. Again, that’s not entitlement.