Queen's Park v East Fife

QP fans seem to be going a bit Falkirk. You're full-time, yes, but newly promoted. A wee bit less of the entitlement, you're doing well sitting near the top. 

As for East Fife, fully merited point. We were the better side by far in the last half hour. 

Credit also to the Gaffer when Higgins went off. He must have been tempted to throw on a semi-fit Murdo or Dan Higgins but dropped Connor McManus back and threw on Kieran Millar, who subsequently scored the equaliser. A substitution masterstroke. 

What a buzz though, seeing the ball hit the back of the net, five minutes into injury time!! 

Edited by Cosmic Joe

8 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

QP fans seem to be going a bit Falkirk. You're full-time, yes, but newly promoted. A wee bit less of the entitlement, you're doing well sitting near the top. 

As for East Fife, fully merited point. We were the better side by far in the last half hour. 

Credit also to the Gaffer when Higgins went off. He must have been tempted to throw on a semi-fit Murdo or Dan Higgins but dropped Connor McManus back and threw on Kieran Millar, who subsequently scored the equaliser. A substitution masterstroke. 

What a buzz though, seeing the ball hit the back of the net, five minutes into injury time!! 

I wouldn’t say entitlement, when you have the financial capabilities to sign experienced players at higher level, alongside guys like Luca Connell and a player from Liverpool, there’s every right to be ragin at conceding another late goal. It’s not necessarily cause we conceded to East fife, it’s the continuation of rotten defending and our inability to hold on to a lead. Newly promoted or not, there’s naturally an enhanced expectation on the team. 

Laurie Ellis will be under scrutiny now with how much tinkering he makes each week. We have such a capable team but it’s not getting used to it’s optimal ability in the slightest. Fair play to East Fife, they were resilient and ultimately they could have scored a couple more because of our slack and soft defending

I believe Ellis will be nervously looking over his shoulder right now. For all the public talk about consolidating our status and giving priority to the community I cannot think Mr Haughey will be happy to keep coughing up for chief executives, commercial managers, and all the unnecessary hangers on if the performance on the pitch of the first team does not come up to scratch. No matter what anyone says or thinks the most important factor to bringing in finance and extra fans is the performance of the first team. Football is a results driven industry and to think we can buck that trend with a unique formula is pie in the sky. If results and performances do not pick up between now and the end of the year I can see changes in the team management personnel. I would much prefer to see an improvement in results.

Is it just me that thinks the post match interviews should have some more thought provoking questions ? In a slump of bad form, routinely losing last minute goals and yet half the interview consisted of talking about our goalkeeper(very good I must say) performance and next weeks match. You watch other teams like Falkirk who question the manager about tactics and lineup which lasts 5-6 minutes, where you get a real insight from the manager. Whereas we literally get no insight from Ellis, just the usual cliche nonsense that lasts a single minute 

Edited by qpfc

44 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Is it just me that thinks the post match interviews should have some more thought provoking questions ? In a slump of bad form, routinely losing last minute goals and yet half the interview consisted of talking about our goalkeeper(very good I must say) performance and next weeks match. You watch other teams like Falkirk who question the manager about tactics and lineup which lasts 5-6 minutes, where you get a real insight from the manager. Whereas we literally get no insight from Ellis, just the usual cliche nonsense that lasts a single minute 

I actually had typed a post similar to this and cancelled it in case it sounded too negative but I think both the pre match and post match interviews are condescending rubbish. Much more information could be gleaned from them. I don't know whether that is because the interviewer is inexperienced or is not allowed to ask such questions. Other clubs put the manager in the spotlight, no reason why we couldn't.

1 hour ago, spiders4ever said:

I'm disappointed by the result but some fans need to get a grip. After 13 games we are 1 point off the top of the league.

People are allowed to be disappointed about taking 3 points from a potential 9 so far against the bottom 2 teams in the league, especially when managerial decisions (particularly today) are a big factor in that. We should have considerably more points than we're currently sitting on.

Just because you go full time it does not guarantee you instant success.I would say for a newly promoted team you are doing quite well as you are second in the league.A point that nobody has mentioned could it be down to the team you were playing stopping you playing the way you wanted to play.Their has been an improvement  in performance and results for East Fife in the last four league games.Perhaps it was East Fife that stopped you from winning and not your manager.

This has got nothing to do with entitled fans, Queen’s Park should be able to beat East Fife comfortably with the budget we’ve got. End of. 

Also, don’t compare us to Falkirk fans, the vast majority of QP fans are much more level headed than those nutters. 

We should be flying away with this league but late mistakes means we are now in the chasing pack.

I was very confident/arrogant in my post before the game. Then I seen our starting line up. [emoji85] Despite us having the majority of possession we were toothless. Our bench was stronger that the starting line up.

East Fife deserved their point.

There are some really weird posts in this thread.

Nobody is suggesting that we should be winning every game just because we're now full time; people are pointing out and discussing the specific reasons why we're dropping points quite so consistently.

I hardly think Queen's supporters are entitled (and the Falkirk comparisons are ridiculous) just because we recognise the mistakes which are being made both in the team selection and the way we then play, and we'd rather stop chucking wins away like that.

When you watch the highlights as a neutral you’d think Queen’s were worthy of a win but Fife did make it hard for us and studying their goal it was clearly a training ground move to put attackers on our two guys on the posts. I’m not blaming Robson, he had to get tight to his oppo, but if there hadn’t been that pressure on each post the header would have been cleared. Both he and Connell came off their posts just enough to leave some space because they had to mark Fife players. Fife done their homework well.

That said, yet again, we had more than enough chances and opportunity to win the game. Laurie was focussed on the late goal in his post-match but on Monday they need to be focussed on why so much possession can’t be turned into goals. My concern is that this pattern of play is so regular they should have had the answers by now. “Seeing out the game” needs attention but really the best solution is to win the game much earlier.

Lastly, I’m a fan of Longridge and you’ll hear his name mentioned a lot in the highlights. But I don’t ever want to hear him or any other QP player saying “we deserved to win” when they didn’t win. You only “deserve” to win when you score more than your opponents Louis. 

17 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I hardly think Queen's supporters are entitled (and the Falkirk comparisons are ridiculous) just because we recognise the mistakes which are being made both in the team selection and the way we then play, and we'd rather stop chucking wins away like that.

On three occasions we’ve been in winning positions in the final moments of games, two of them against the bottom two. That’s nine points if we’re capable of seeing out a game. We have taken two points from such scenarios.

The team selection was comical, the subs were made too late and five wins from thirteen simply isn’t good enough for a team that is pissing money at this level. The rules of the game have changed now. There’s decent money being dished out and we need to see returns for it.

Yesterday is 100% on Laurie Ellis. Two holding midfielders, playing players out of position, leaving one of the most creative players on the bench. Don’t win next week and grumbles will turn to serious questions.

My assessment of Queen's from what I've seen so far this season which is only 2 live games against us and match highlights in other games is a strong depth of squad, lots of attacking midfield flair players who flood forward but missing a really clinical forward.

Lately conceding far too many goals and need to stem that habit. 

Jointed top scorers in the league (with Cove) and conceded the 2nd least behind Montrose. Can't argue with those stats after 13 games but only 2 wins in 8 is slightly worrying. Need to win next week imo as the following 4 fixtures are tough Peterhead (a), Falkirk (h), Airdrie (a), Montrose (a)

Saying all of that there is very little between the top 5 or 6 teams. I don't see Queen's dropping down the league but nor do I see them  stretching away from the pack.  

Queen's fans humble in the whole and know it can take time to progress. 

By no means a certainty that QP go up automatically this season. Certainly the same for Cove. I think we (QP and Cove) are no better than the other top 5 teams in large and playoffs might be where we end up. Getting up through the playoffs is very tough as we showed last season

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Massive point for us yesterday. Our first point away from home this season and the first time we've come from behind to take anything. The last four games have seen a pretty significant improvement and taking 7 points from 4 games, including three games against top four sides, is more than acceptable. Also great to see is another two big performances from teenagers Jude Smith and Aaron Steele.

Queens's certainly had a lot of possession and the highlights do make it look like they had the majority of the chances but it felt a bit more even watching the game live and i felt we were well worth the draw.

On expectation (or entitlement) from Queen's fans. Doesn't matter what happened last season or at any point in the past, Queen's clearly have the budget to seriously push for the L1 title and with Falkirk's banter years gathering pace, you could argue anything else is a failure. That doeson't mean it's going to happen. At least one FT team has failed to get promoted from L1 in each of the last four seasons. If we had Haughey money and assembled a squad to match, we'd have much higher expectations as well.

Watching the QPTV highlights (which were very good), I hadn't appreciated the quality of Kieran's finish at the time, largely because I was going spare. But what a lovely headed finish! 

For the conceded goal we were a bit unfortunate as the guy tracking the scorer ran into his teammate, although credit to the QP player for his movement. 

Also, in reflection, I was surprised about Liam Brown not being played further up the park. He was a real menace in that position in the game at Bayview. I still think QP will make the play-offs. 

Edited by Cosmic Joe