Tier 7 solution for SOS League

1 minute ago, newcastle broon said:

Why are you getting so angry and why shouldn't there be a East and West Region? 

It has been stated on here a multitude of times that the South is too weak a league to justify a shot of a play off at tier 6? 

Least Threave have shown a bit balls?

What exactly is it you are you frightened of? 

Where do you get the idea that I am angry ??  cos nothing could be further from the truth !!

Statements about the strength of a league does is not in itself a justification

Only Threave can provide their reason for moving leagues.

it is more than a bit disrespectful to imply that clubs who had a different view and chose to remain must be lacking 'balls'

Why do you reckon that I must frightened ??  I simply want to take the opportunity to provide an alternative view !!

That is the way to have a healthy debate on any subject.

'

'

1 hour ago, VodkaTap said:

Where do you get the idea that I am angry ??  cos nothing could be further from the truth !!

Statements about the strength of a league does is not in itself a justification

Only Threave can provide their reason for moving leagues.

it is more than a bit disrespectful to imply that clubs who had a different view and chose to remain must be lacking 'balls'

Why do you reckon that I must frightened ??  I simply want to take the opportunity to provide an alternative view !!

That is the way to have a healthy debate on any subject.

'

'

When you quote "!!" after yer sentences :lol:

You're a Gretna fan so are obviously naturally worried where your next league would be? 

Have a read at the FWF post above and lets see what you make of that ? 👍

12 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

East now goes from Perth to Berwick no reason why the West can't now go Campbeltown to Gretna. 2 champions playing off. 

Apart from all the other reasons mentioned previously you can do Berwick to Perth in less than two hours. You'd probably need five hours to do Gretna to Campbeltown

Reading this thread and also looking back at my own input there are a lot of people going off on one due to their affiliation of club/league etc... or their area of choice and thus taking it personally.

I'm more interested in the future of the pyramid and the smooth running of it.
If it was the WOSFL region who was weak and the EOSFL and the SOSFL were the strongest I'd be of the same attitude of the West

I personally don't think the SOSFL should be at tier 6 as it will slow down the progress of the pyramid if the SOSFL stay at tier 6 and the Lowland League open up their relegation policy

The whole point of my input is that I'm more concerned about when the relegation from Lowland League is sorted, meaning 2 automatic relegations and 3rd bottom going straight into a playoff.

I would like to see the WOSFL and EOSFL champions being promoted but I don't think the playoff should be between the bottom 3rd placed LL team and the SOSFL champions. Why, because I and a lot of people think the standard is low. Even if the standard was closer then it might be reconsidered but it hasn't and wont be for a long, long time and thus slowing down much stronger teams, leagues from producing stronger team replacing the 3rd bottom of the LL in a playoff.

For example , (again hypothetically)

2 automatic relegation from the Lowland league, Both East and West winners go up.
The 3rd bottom of the Lowland would play the SOSFL champion and id say 99% of people who follow football expect the 3rd bottom to win the playoff, easily as the difference is so vast.
If it was the 3rd bottom of the Lowland against the 3rd bottom of the EOSFL or the WOSFL, most people would think that the 2nd placed team would win, that's how much a divide there is in those leagues.

I will say, the SOSFL solution if workable isn't as important issue right now than the SPFL 2 and Lowland League sorting their relegation and promotion issues right now.

P.s. there are so many issues that need sorted if there were to be changed.
Would the WOSFL vote to have the SOSFL at tier 7?. Is tier 7 the right level for the SOSFL ?, Do the SOSFL committee think this is a great idea ?.
The SOSFL are at tier 6 rightfully because they got in there first but who says it works or who says it wont be part of the slowing down progression of the Scottish Football pyramid system.

The only compromise I can think of that would work, keeping the SOSFL where they are would be that the 2 automatic places go to EOSFL and WOSFL winners and the playoff would be a four club semis, or playoff of the 3rd placed Lowland League team, the SOSFL champions and both 2nd placed teams of both EOSFL and the WOSFL.   I think that would keep most happy and the integrity of the pyramid system

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

11 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Reading this thread and also looking back at my own input there are a lot of people going off on one due to their affiliation of club/league etc... or their area of choice and thus taking it personally.

If it was the WOSFL region who was weak and the EOSFL and the SOSFL were the strongest I'd be of the same attitude of the West

I personally don't think the SOSFL should be at tier 6 as it will slow down the progress of the pyramid if the SOSFL stay at tier 6 and the Lowland League open up their relegation policy

The whole point of my input is that I'm more concerned about when the relegation from Lowland League is sorted, meaning 2 automatic relegations and 3rd bottom going straight into a playoff.

I would like to see the WOSFL and EOSFL champions being promoted but I don't think the playoff should be between the bottom 3rd placed LL team and the SOSFL champions. Why, because I and a lot of people think the standard is low. Even if the standard was closer then it might be reconsidered but it hasn't and wont be for a long, long time and thus slowing down much stronger teams, leagues from producing stronger team replacing the 3rd bottom of the LL in a playoff.

2 automatic relegation from the Lowland league, Both East and West winners go up.
The 3rd bottom of the Lowland would play the SOSFL champion and id say 99% of people who follow football expect the 3rd bottom to win the playoff, easily as the difference is so vast.
If it was the 3rd bottom of the Lowland against the 3rd bottom of the EOSFL or the WOSFL, most people would think that the 2nd placed team would win, that's how much a divide there is in those leagues.

I will say, the SOSFL solution if workable isn't as important issue right now than the SPFL 2 and Lowland League sorting their relegation and promotion issues right now.

Would the WOSFL vote to have the SOSFL at tier 7?. Is tier 7 the right level for the SOSFL ?, Do the SOSFL committee think this is a great idea ?.
The SOSFL are at tier 6 rightfully because they got in there first but who says it works or who says it wont be part of the slowing down progression of the Scottish Football pyramid system.

The only compromise I can think of that would work, keeping the SOSFL where they are would be that the 2 automatic places go to EOSFL and WOSFL winners and the playoff would be a four club semis, or playoff of the 3rd placed Lowland League team, the SOSFL champions and both 2nd placed teams of both EOSFL and the WOSFL.   I think that would keep most happy and the integrity of the pyramid system

Didnt Read Lol Storm Trooper GIF

On 03/07/2022 at 12:22, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Personally I’d say your proposed option is one , should it ever be on the table that the South should realistically consider as that way the East and West Champions would get their spot and the winner here would still at least have the opportunity of promotion however slim that may seem to some !

You’re also correct in that the SPFL and LL are the real problem for ambitious former Junior sides as they are the ones stifling the chance of these sides moving up the Pyramid and not whether they can beat the South winners in the playoffs. If and hopefully when they alter the promotion slots I can assure you that those down here would whole heartedly support that change and allow a much needed change of teams throughout the SPFL and completely freshen up senior football throughout Scotland. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2022 at 12:22, Bestsinceslicebread said:

A lot of your idea's for the pyramids smooth running are valid to some degree.3rd place playoff.has to take in there could be a 4th team being relegated if a highland club where to win the playoff the sos teams got there first because they started the league.its interesting to read people's post that they should somehow just roll out of the way for others who now think because they took a leap of faith its their devine right to be better placed than they are.there has to be some compromise to making it work.can maybe see the lowland league clubs voting for 1 up and a second place playoff club 15 playing the runner up.but alot needs to happen above the lowland league first and also below to actually force it to happen 

On 14/07/2022 at 13:10, Lowland team said:

...but alot needs to happen above the lowland league first and also below to actually force it to happen 

Nothing needs to happen above the LL for anything to happen below it. The two issues are not in any way linked. Even if nothing changes quickly another 5 to 10 seasons worth of relegation out of the LL will flush out the clubs that are in a false position right now in pyramid terms and after that the 3 up 3 down approach of the EoS and WoS is likely to prevail in an LL context as well.

Think Threave defecting to the tenth tier WoS Fourth Division was the beginning of the end of the SoS at tier 6. Once Dalbeattie and Gretna have been relegated out of the LL it will be interesting to see whether they view the SoS as their long term home. There have already been strong indications that Gretna would prefer to be in the EoS.

On 20/07/2022 at 11:08, LongTimeLurker said:

Nothing needs to happen above the LL for anything to happen below it. The two issues are not in any way linked. Even if nothing changes quickly another 5 to 10 seasons worth of relegation out of the LL will flush out the clubs that are in a false position right now in pyramid terms and after that the 3 up 3 down approach of the EoS and WoS is likely to prevail in an LL context as well.

Think Threave defecting to the tenth tier WoS Fourth Division was the beginning of the end of the SoS at tier 6. Once Dalbeattie and Gretna have been relegated out of the LL it will be interesting to see whether they view the SoS as their long term home. There have already been strong indications that Gretna would prefer to be in the EoS.

Why would Gretna choose to go south then?

50 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I don’t think it’s a choice,  tho the threave move may end that.   They’d be relegated to SoS and then have to apply to be bottom tier of another region.  

It is.  You get the choice of your relegation spot.

15 minutes ago, Hossy87 said:

Not according to the LL constitution.

, the bottom club or clubs at the end of the current season will be relegated to the league(s) decided by a joint meeting of the representatives of the League, the EoSFL, SoSFL and WoSFL prior to the start of each season

27 minutes ago, Hossy87 said:

At the last 4 leagues meeting, it was agreed Dalbeattie and Gretna would go to the SoS in the event of relegation from the LL this season.

Now whether the clubs themselves can appeal this, or whether they were consulted, I don't know.

Edited by Burnieman