Tier 7 solution for SOS League

Do those claiming this is a pro-central belt issue realise that people still want the SoS teams to be part of the pyramid? No-one is saying to remove them. If the teams are as strong as some on this thread seems to think then they'll end up in the WoS Premier anyway. 

Can anyone point me in the direction of posts saying that the leagues in the north should be removed from the pyramid or moved down? I haven't seen anyone ever advocating for the Highland League being stripped of its tier 5 status. The only argument I've seen is to make it north/east/west replicating the old junior structure.

31 minutes ago, stanley said:

Do those claiming this is a pro-central belt issue realise that people still want the SoS teams to be part of the pyramid? No-one is saying to remove them. If the teams are as strong as some on this thread seems to think then they'll end up in the WoS Premier anyway. 

If first accepting Threave into the West of Scotland in violation of any reasonable distinction of boundaries and then chucking them in the same league as Campbeltown Pupils isn't a case of laughable Central Belt bias, I don't know what is. 

If that precedent is allowed to continue then clubs outside of the Central Belt will absolutely fold and fall out of the pyramid, both in the West's own region and in any rump South that gets folded into the Ayrshire Junior grade by another name. 

Can anyone point me in the direction of posts saying that the leagues in the north should be removed from the pyramid or moved down? I haven't seen anyone ever advocating for the Highland League being stripped of its tier 5 status. The only argument I've seen is to make it north/east/west replicating the old junior structure.

You should prioritise trying to understand what 'thin end of the wedge' means, because if you did then you wouldn't have built this completely useless straw man argument. 

Edited by vikingTON

21 hours ago, Yalay said:

It's much easier for a weaker team to win one or two football matches against a stronger team than to perform better than the stronger team over the course of an entire season. In order for the playoff to be fair, the East/West/South would need to all be of equal strength, which is simply not the case.

That's just an argument against play-offs though. 

And when teams from different leagues play-off against each other who is to say which is the stronger league?

You'd expect SPFL Tier 3 ought to be stronger than Tier 4 yet its teams have lost in the play-offs against Tier 4 sides. Which league is actually stronger then?

15 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Good thing the South has those clear boundaries.

To be fair the constitutions of the SCFA and SoSFL (unless changed recently) do not limit membership to Galloway and Dumfries, but rather the South of Scotland, which is not defined. Possibly the mistake of the SoSFL was being too generous when the WoSFL was being set up by not asserting that there was already a pyramid league covering the west area 😉

13 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

To be fair the constitutions of the SCFA and SoSFL (unless changed recently) do not limit membership to Galloway and Dumfries, but rather the South of Scotland, which is not defined. Possibly the mistake of the SoSFL was being too generous when the WoSFL was being set up by not asserting that there was already a pyramid league covering the west area 😉

As shown by letting Threave Rovers leaving without kicking up a fuss. The SoSFL don't seem that bothered and happy plodding along as it has always done.

On 25/06/2022 at 20:03, FairWeatherFan said:

The Playoff isn't fixed it changes depending on the number of entrants.

With Threave Rovers moved on, St Cuthbert Wanderers going through a management change. I don't think it's close to certain the SoS will provide a licenced champion in 2022-23. That will mean a two legged playoff between WoS & EoS.

I don't know about you but i've seen plenty of two legged ties where a 2-0 in the 1st leg gets overturned in the 2nd leg. We'll never know what would have happened between Darvel & Tranent if it had been over two legs.

The WOS might not produce a winner that's licenced at the end of 22-23 either

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

As shown by letting Threave Rovers leaving without kicking up a fuss. The SoSFL don't seem that bothered and happy plodding along as it has always done.

A more generous interpretation might be that the people running the SOS are less concerned with blazer politics, fiefdom-building and the accumulation of surprisingly large yet strangely unspent cash reserves than those in the West. Which is a good thing for me at least.

19 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

A more generous interpretation might be that the people running the SOS are less concerned with blazer politics, fiefdom-building and the accumulation of surprisingly large yet strangely unspent cash reserves than those in the West. Which is a good thing for me at least.

Representing less than 20 clubs at any one time there's the SoSFL, SCFA, WDFA, presence on the SFA's Non-Professional Game Board & SCC competition committee, the quarterly meetings of the lowland pyramid leagues, the SFA's PWG and at times overlap between South committee members and the Lowland League. For instance not sure if the South & Lowland treasurer is the same these days.

22 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

What good would kicking up a fuss have done ?

This was Threave’s decision to leave and the WOSFLs choice to let them in so what do you think anyone in the South could’ve done to prevent this ?

I suggest you point your finger of blame in the direction of both parties in this situation ! 

49 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Representing less than 20 clubs at any one time there's the SoSFL, SCFA, WDFA, presence on the SFA's Non-Professional Game Board & SCC competition committee, the quarterly meetings of the lowland pyramid leagues, the SFA's PWG and at times overlap between South committee members and the Lowland League. For instance not sure if the South & Lowland treasurer is the same these days.

So now you’d prefer we have no representation either !

As I stated early it took the Juniors how long to decide to jump on the senior bandwagon , a Century maybe and within 10 minutes they’re calling the shots ! We understand the disparity in playing levels but as he been stated many times if our sub standard League offers no threat to the former Junior big guns in the West and East making the LL what difference does it make to give the champions the opportunity they’re earned ? It’s not the fault of the South the way the p,st off situation has been decided is it ?

1 hour ago, AML67 said:

So now you’d prefer we have no representation either !

In a response about the SoS not being concerned with "blazer politics, fiefdom-building"  I listed the variety of FAs, Boards, Working Groups and Committees that have South representatives. Which is no less, If not slightly more than some other associations.

I didn't state any preference on them.

The only one that people would struggle to understand any discernable difference in is the WDFA & SCFA. Since even the constitutions are basically replicas with a find & replace job on the titles.

As for what the South could have done about Threave Rovers. A simple thing could have been to form an agreement with the WoSFL around boundaries. The WoSFL & EoSFL set boundaries and how they would treat existing members applying to another league when it became clear West Lothian would be an issue. The South has now lost two clubs to the WoSFL. As far as anyone is aware nothing's been put in place.

That doesn't mean anything would have changed in how the Threave Rovers application was handled, look at Harthill Royal flip flopping between leagues.

57 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

East now goes from Perth to Berwick no reason why the West can't now go Campbeltown to Gretna. 2 champions playing off. 

I suggest you check your information before make this incorrect statement as a fact.

A quick look at the Club Directory on the EOS website confirms that Gretna 2008, Hawick & Peebles are all there as members !!

In the past, even as far west as Dalbeattie are, they were also members until they resigned.

Seems the EOS covers a bigger footprint in the LL area than most members realise ! 

3 hours ago, VodkaTap said:

I suggest you check your information before make this incorrect statement as a fact.

A quick look at the Club Directory on the EOS website confirms that Gretna 2008, Hawick & Peebles are all there as members !!

In the past, even as far west as Dalbeattie are, they were also members until they resigned.

Seems the EOS covers a bigger footprint in the LL area than most members realise ! 

EoS league and EoSFA are separate 

5 hours ago, VodkaTap said:

How is it incorrect though. ? 

It's a logical solution 1 x East Region  1 x West region. 

Like you say "IN THE PAST" let's look to the future.

2 Winners play off or even better 2 winners promoted 

None of this round Robin stuff.

Simples. 

2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

How is it incorrect though. ? 

It's a logical solution 1 x East Region  1 x West region. 

Like you say "IN THE PAST" let's look to the future.

2 Winners play off or even better 2 winners promoted 

None of this round Robin stuff.

Simples. 

Only Dalbeattie's membership was in the past, not the current membership !!

So far you have not stated one fact to justify your argument;

Apart from your assertion that it is logical and simple !!

14 minutes ago, VodkaTap said:

Only Dalbeattie's membership was in the past, not the current membership !!

So far you have not stated one fact to justify your argument;

Apart from your assertion that it is logical and simple !!

Why are you getting so angry and why shouldn't there be a East and West Region? 

It has been stated on here a multitude of times that the South is too weak a league to justify a shot of a play off at tier 6? 

Least Threave have shown a bit balls?

What exactly is it you are you frightened of? 

15 minutes ago, VodkaTap said:

So - are you really saying that members of the EOSFA could be denied entry into the E£OS League ?????

Maybe?

Everything that's been said if Gretna 2008 & (previously East Kilbride) while members of the EoSFA would have been relegated to the SoSFL from the Lowland.

Dalbeattie Star, Annan Athletic, and Threave Rovers were never(?) members of the EoSFA. They just played in the EoSFL and associated League Cup while remaining members of the SCFA and WDFA.