Public Services or Going Private

coprolite

2 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Oh please; “a new low even for you”? No bother, you know me personally? emoji23.png

Barring the fact that numerous people that I know who are living in council accommodation have had to fight like f**k to get their flats up to code, I’ll file your little “it’s illegal for flats to be substandard” argument right in the bin.

Your second point of if I know how much housing stock the council has; I do know. Do you know how many are lying empty as “emergency” houses?

Given you have been stupid enough to lay bare numerous aspects of your life on here over the years I feel like I know you fairly well. If you are saying in real life it gets worse than that then fair enough.

Fair play for coming out swinging having made a complete c**t of it though.

Given you have been stupid enough to lay bare numerous aspects of your life on here over the years I feel like I know you fairly well. If you are saying in real life it gets worse than that then fair enough.
Fair play for coming out swinging having made a complete c**t of it though.

No actual addressing anything else? No bother, freak.

The obscene amount of money it costs to go private education clearly shows those using them are incredibly undertaxed.  

Claiming your helping the state education system by removing your child from it is some twisted logic.  Care about improving the education system you would pay that money into the full system, not just putting it all to one child.

I have private health insurance through my work but I’ve never used it.  

My wife is getting private treatment that isn’t available on the NHS for a condition, we are just paying for it. I am getting physiotherapy from a private clinic as well.  

We send our son to a private nursery, there isn’t a council alternative available that fitted with us and the fees are completely covered by the government anyway as it’s a partner nursery.

I have colleagues who despite being very well paid are permanently skint due to sending their kids to private school. The whole thing strikes me as a complete waste of money. The main advantage is extra curricular activities and if you have an ounce of gumption you can arrange that yourself.  The latest studies have shown that state school children do better at University than privately educated kids, private schools just get you into the Russell Group, or they did. They don’t make you better when you are there. It’s an odd thing private education, I’m sure there are many advantages but the disadvantages are also being shown more now.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Also, just for the avoidance of doubt, it’s possible to be against the principle of privately rented housing, and still use one through the lack of an option to do anything else.

I’d have thought that was obvious, but here we are. 

No we actually love burning half our rent to random arseholes we'll never meet for no discernible benefit or labour.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

They don’t make you better when you are there. It’s an odd thing private education, I’m sure there are many advantages but the disadvantages are also being shown more now.

Private education provides opportunities that can't be measured in exam results or future academic performance.

It's about keeping the kids away from undesirables(aka the poor)  and giving them good chances they meet and make pals with the right folk to get them internships and jobs well beyond their actual capabilities. 

6 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Private education provides opportunities that can't be measured in exam results or future academic performance.

It's about keeping the kids away from undesirables(aka the poor)  and giving them good chances they meet and make pals with the right folk to get them internships and jobs well beyond their actual capabilities. 

And access to better quality drugs than the riff raff kids!

7 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Oh yeah I think that’s the perception that people have, I’m not sure whether to justify it to themselves or not. I do think that the benefits of it, including the ones you mention, are overstated as opposed to the costs both to the parents and to the children, potentially. I definitely think that there are benefits to being in a school with people from varied backgrounds.

9 hours ago, parsforlife said:

The obscene amount of money it costs to go private education clearly shows those using them are incredibly undertaxed.  

It shows that the rich will go a long way to overpay for status symbols. In terms of educational outcomes there is very little evidence suggesting that private schools get your kids better grades.

They'd have been far better off sticking that money in a saving's account that their child can use when they turn 18.

It's not about grades.
Private schooling is about networking contacts.
And if that is followed through into the likes of Oxford and Cambridge then the payoff can be very substantial.
The big difference with the rich compared to the rest of us is that they tend to be much better at building and actively using their personal networks.
So you're saying it doesn't matter about grades, if you've enough coin and networks you'll get into oxbridge regardless, because parenting?

Guest Bob Mahelp

13 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It's not about grades.

And if that is followed through into the likes of Oxford and Cambridge then the payoff can be very substantial.

The big difference with the rich compared to the rest of us is that they tend to be much better at building and actively using their personal networks.

Shite. 

Because I worked abroad for part of my life, both my kids went to private international schools (paid for by my company). My son had learning difficulties and the school gave him superb one-on-one help for quite a few years. He left school with 5 A-levels and went to university. 

The school helped him to be the best (educationally) that he could be. Not all private schools are Eton, Harrow or Gordonstoun. 

As a general point, my political views tend to lie mildly left of centre. I went to a normal school in a normal area. It was never in mind that private schooling or private health care even existed. 

But having lived in different parts of the world, and having educated my kids privately and seen how other health systems work compared with the NHS, my eyes are open to how private and state education and health care can work together. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

Guest Bob Mahelp

In regards to state/private health provision, it should be pointed out that.....because of the untouchable, holy NHS, and the concept of 'free care' (it isn't)......the UK is the only country in the world, possibly with the exception of the USA, where this discussion takes place. 

Other countries in Europe, where social provision outstrips the UK, and where society generally looks after the weakest....such as Sweden, Denmark, Norway, The Netherlands....have private health care for everyone, which is effectively state provision. 

You have to be insured, and everyone from the richest to the poorest is entitled to the same (high) level of basic care that you are here. 

The NHS was one of the world's great inventions back in the 1940's. It was innovative, and ground breaking. 

Sadly in many ways, it's become a millstone around the neck of the country. 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

It's not about grades.

Perhaps if it's Eton and the money isn't that meaningful to you but if it's Hutcheson's or Stewart's Melville you are much better off just sticking those thousands of pounds a year in an account for them. Let it accumulate and they can use it as a deposit on a house.