Public Services or Going Private

coprolite

34 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

I don't believe that DPB is telling us the full story though.

He claims to be an accountant (I'm not)

A quick glace online suggests that if a charity receives income and uses it for defined 'charitable purposes', they don't pay tax:

- on donations
- on profits from trading
- on rental or investment income, for example bank interest
- on profits when they sell or ‘dispose of’ an asset, like property or shares
- when they buy property

They might even get money back from the government through gift aid!

As far as I can see, public schools having to pay business rates at some unspecified future date is just a small part of their tax relief perks.

DPB - happy to be corrected if I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick, but IMO, public schools should be cosidered to be businesses and taxed in exactly the same way as other businesses

Schools have charitable status for the things you quote .

However, I would have thought that the largest part of their income would be from fees rather than from donations.

To send a secondary child to the school I sent my kids to is currently around £15 k per annum. No tax relief on that, I would guess, nor should there be.

Edited by Dawson Park Boy
Omission

I mean, there has to be a balance between private/public services. I don’t see how you could be against private schooling if you also rent “privately” or have a bought house. Stick to your principles and live in a council house.

18 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

I mean, there has to be a balance between private/public services. I don’t see how you could be against private schooling if you also rent “privately” or have a bought house. Stick to your principles and live in a council house.

Have you tried to get a council house?!

Well, yes. I also was educated privately from primary 1 until 6th year (albeit via a bursary).

It’s hard to get a good council house, but you can get a small, substandard one quite easily. Like I said; if anyone is against private schooling, principle should dictate that they’d be against private anything else (including housing).

24 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

5 minutes ago, RH33 said:

1 minute ago, SweeperDee said:

Well, yes. I also was educated privately from primary 1 until 6th year (albeit via a bursary).

It’s hard to get a good council house, but you can get a small, substandard one quite easily. Like I said; if anyone is against private schooling, principle should dictate that they’d be against private anything else (including housing).

Been a long time since I've seen the "what if I went to private school but had f**k all money throughout?" mindset in action

Been a long time since I've seen the "what if I went to private school but had f**k all money throughout?" mindset in action

I don’t really understand what you mean by that?

In an ideal world I would happily vouch for a high standard, state led education for all children, and do away with private schools. But we all know that isn’t possible.

I’m just curious how people square their disdain of private education, while using other private services and not seeing how private education is part and parcel of the private sector?

13 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

So people should accept substandard housing. Holy f**k

39 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

I don’t see how you could be against private schooling if you also rent “privately” 

That private schooling was responsible for producing this clown running across a minefield argument is the strongest possible case against its existence. 

There's just no amount of money that can fix this level of stupid. 

1 minute ago, SweeperDee said:

I don’t really understand what you mean by that?

In an ideal world I would happily vouch for a high standard, state led education for all children, and do away with private schools. But we all know that isn’t possible.

I’m just curious how people square their disdain of private education, while using other private services and not seeing how private education is part and parcel of the private sector?

You are literally doing the "Yet you participate in society? I am very intelligent" meme lol. Also as someone who joined a tenant union largely to campaign against private landlords I reckon I do hold a disdain for private housing that's as massive as my disdain for private education. 

7 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

So people should accept substandard housing. Holy f**k

If you're not prepared to spend ages on a waiting list that you may not even be accepted on then you can't complain, sorry. 

26 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

I had a conversation just last week with a housing association.........short of screwing over my landlord and not paying rent, getting evicted and putting my custody of the kids at risk, there is zero chance I'll get a house/flat.

You can't get a house easily. Especially if you require a three bed which is deemed necessary by guidelines.

I'm not against private schooling, I'm against them being considered charities. 

At my last permanent post, one of the perks was a free BUPA plan, which I would have used had I needed to.  I'm not a fucking idiot. I'm not against private medicine so long as the NHS is unaffected.  Which would be awkward for any surgeon spending more time on private practice rather than public.

Schools have charitable status for the things you quote .
However, I would have thought that the largest part of their income would be from fees rather than from donations.
To send a secondary child to the school I sent my kids to is currently around £15 k per annum. No tax relief on that, I would guess, nor should there be.
[emoji1787][emoji28][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji23][emoji23]

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Sadly, the world isn't fair and until it is, I'll put my family before anyone else.  

And so would anyone else out there.

So let's drop this sanctimonious pish shall we?

That first sentence of yours rather makes my point, no ?

As for the second, please don't dare presume on behalf of the rest of us.

As for the final comment, I think I'll need counselling after that 😀

3 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

That was a waste of everyone's time and money then. 

The rest of your post is a new low even for you. Not just offensive but factually inaccurate.

It's illegal for the council to offer somebody "sub-standard" housing. All council housing had to meet scottish housing quality standards. They also can't offer a house that doesn't meet the need of the tenant eg a one bedroom flat to someone with a child.

Do you even know how many council and social houses there are in Dundee?

Jesus f**k. Do you have any experience of real life at all?

"You can get a small substandard one quite easily" isn't even the most mental thing you've said here, which is quite something. 

That was a waste of everyone's time and money then. 
The rest of your post is a new low even for you. Not just offensive but factually inaccurate.
It's illegal for the council to offer somebody "sub-standard" housing. All council housing had to meet scottish housing quality standards. They also can't offer a house that doesn't meet the need of the tenant eg a one bedroom flat to someone with a child.
Do you even know how many council and social houses there are in Dundee?

Oh please; “a new low even for you”? No bother, you know me personally? [emoji23]

Barring the fact that numerous people that I know who are living in council accommodation have had to fight like f**k to get their flats up to code, I’ll file your little “it’s illegal for flats to be substandard” argument right in the bin.

Your second point of if I know how much housing stock the council has; I do know. Do you know how many are lying empty as “emergency” houses/accomodation?

Jesus f**k. Do you have any experience of real life at all?
"You can get a small substandard one quite easily" isn't even the most mental thing you've said here, which is quite something. 

They won’t tell you it’s substandard; and it obviously won’t be highlighted as such. I’ve clearly riled the DCC shills here, fucking hell.

3 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

They won’t tell you it’s substandard; and it obviously won’t be highlighted as such. I’ve clearly riled the DCC shills here, fucking hell.

I appear to have stumbled on some sort of weird mental breakdown.

Enjoy your night mate.