Players you never quite got the hype around

Guest Bob Mahelp

Leigh Griffiths. The thick ned's flat track bully. 

Always a big goal scorer against shite like Hamilton, St Mirren and Motherwell, but not trusted by any Celtic manager in European games or against any side that wasn't cannon fodder. 

Never trusted either by any Scotland manager, and anyway looked completely out of his depth in international football. 

As an added bonus, stupid as f**k and leaves a trail of kids with daft lassies all over the country. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Always a big goal scorer against shite like Hamilton, St Mirren and Motherwell, but not trusted by any Celtic manager in European games or against any side that wasn't cannon fodder. 

Never trusted either by any Scotland manager, and anyway looked completely out of his depth in international football. 

As an added bonus, stupid as f**k and leaves a trail of kids with daft lassies all over the country. 

l9mRXLwWNUKH0ljO_768x432.jpg

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, hk blues said:

l9mRXLwWNUKH0ljO_768x432.jpg

As I said, he scores against the shite. 

Put him up against a big team like Ross County and you'll struggle to find youtube highlights. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, Dons_1988 said:

I’ve always been a closet admirer of Griffiths. 

An unreal finisher on his day. 

As I said, not against anyone that wasn't Scottish cannon fodder. 

Not trusted by consecutive Celtic managers from Deila onwards, and only 22 caps for Scotland (almost all of them as sub.) with only 4 goals (2 free kicks of course). 

Seriously over-hyped by many in Scotland because we were desperate (and still are) for an international striker that could actually score goals. 

File under 'wasted talent'. 

45 minutes ago, coprolite said:

What's better about scoring fewer goals? It's literally the point of a striker. Absolute madness. 

Well no, not really. As I said, if he wasn't scoring then he was doing very little else. Goodwillie was constantly dragging defenders around, holding the ball up and creating chances for others. Unfortunately you need a bit more than poaching goals in the modern game.

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

I think the debate about Ferguson and McStay can be pretty much the same. At their peaks, they were classed (probably rightly) as the best players or one of the best in Scotland, but equally they were over hyped. If they were as good as was made out to be, they would have played at a top European team. Ferguson did OK in England, but was in no way a standout. The same can be made about many players that play for one if those two glasgow teams. You read the papers smd x or y player is attracting interest from Arsenal/Man U/Milan etc and 9/10 they end up at Brentford/Bournmouth etc.

Aside from all of that, Scott Allan is the one I currently try dont get the hype about. Perception is he is a very talented but unluckily player, but to me, can be great one game and then mince for 4/5. 

with McStay playing in a different era, he probably wouldnt know if anyone was interested until a team move on to an alternative,  and even then with that old sellick board they might not even mentioned if anyone had been interested, maybe he was just a big tim who liked sellick, i believe he was very fella too.

10 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

As I said, not against anyone that wasn't Scottish cannon fodder. 

Not trusted by consecutive Celtic managers from Deila onwards, and only 22 caps for Scotland (almost all of them as sub.) with only 4 goals (2 free kicks of course). 

Seriously over-hyped by many in Scotland because we were desperate (and still are) for an international striker that could actually score goals. 

File under 'wasted talent'. 

No doubt hasn’t fulfilled his full potential but he’s scored goals I could watch over and over. Even his goal against us at pittodrie in the 3-3 draw last season I couldn’t help but admire the way he took it. 

9 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Well no, not really. As I said, if he wasn't scoring then he was doing very little else. Goodwillie was constantly dragging defenders around, holding the ball up and creating chances for others. Unfortunately you need a bit more than poaching goals in the modern game.

think shinnie did an open goal interview recently where he said about Rooney something like ‘great goalscorer, awful footballer’. Tongue in cheek but not far off the truth. 

I always enjoyed watching goodwillie too. 

10 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

If it's either or, I'd take a 20 goal a season poacher over a five to ten goal workhorse any day.  We can't really afford a goal machine that does much else, so at our level it is one or the other. He was found wanting when Derek inexplicably decided to deploy him  wide left on several occasions though. 

Just now, coprolite said:

If it's either or, I'd take a 20 goal a season poacher over a five to ten goal workhorse any day.  We can't really afford a goal machine that does much else, so at our level it is one or the other. He was found wanting when Derek inexplicably decided to deploy him  wide left on several occasions though. 

In fairness whilst he was obviously not a winger, the idea was that he’d get more joy aerially off a full back than centre halves, as he wasn’t really the best at that. 

I think he also scored a few in that time he played out on the left and goodwillie playing through the middle. 

4 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

with McStay playing in a different era, he probably wouldnt know if anyone was interested until a team move on to an alternative,  and even then with that old sellick board they might not even mentioned if anyone had been interested, maybe he was just a big tim who liked sellick, i believe he was very fella too.

I've got a vague recollection of him nearly joining a team in Italy, Sampdoria maybe?

Possibly McStay in a different boat to others as for the peak of his career, the wages he'd have got elsewhere, while likely larger, would not have been multiples to what he was on.

While I get the desire for folk to maybe stay at their club they support, there is an element of what if for some of these guys, which makes judging hype about them difficult. For example, I think guys like James Forrest for example would struggle in England and so has been wise to stay in Scotland but McGregor has made the same choice, but would fo well. 

36 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Is 12 in 36 a big scorer? I hope not Bob, or you've put your foot in it there. 

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It's subjective IMO. If you have a striker who scores 20, assists 1 and the support players rarely score then is that better than a striker and 2 support players getting around 10 goals each?

It's a different sport altogether but I've always liked the fact the NHL use points as the indicator, with assists and goals combining for that total.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

In fairness whilst he was obviously not a winger, the idea was that he’d get more joy aerially off a full back than centre halves, as he wasn’t really the best at that. 

I think he also scored a few in that time he played out on the left and goodwillie playing through the middle. 

He used him on the right against Tierney with a bit of joy as well. That was when Church was in the middle. The problem there was Church did the same as Rooney (but not as well) so you ended up with two goal scorers who weren't really doing anything else to bring others in to play.

Guest Bob Mahelp
15 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Is 12 in 36 a big scorer? I hope not Bob, or you've put your foot in it there. 

I've given myself a large get out with the phrase...'shite like'....

I should have realised that on P&B there's always an expert with statistics/semantics......I'm looking forward to Random Guy stepping in. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp