Players you never quite got the hype around

22 minutes ago, AJF said:

Paul Scholes has been over-hyped since his retirement. He was always an excellent footballer, but after he retired it became stylish for people to claim he was one of the best ever.

Sure, he contributed massively to Man Utd's dominance and success in a team, but as an individual, I don't think he was anywhere near the elite. Lampard and Gerrard were both way ahead of him.

first sentence i can go along with, especially among Man Utd fans, he's reach Xavi level since he retired,

Second sentence is some of the most laughable shite i've ever read, 

30 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

first sentence i can go along with, especially among Man Utd fans, he's reach Xavi level since he retired,

Second sentence is some of the most laughable shite i've ever read, 

It's a mixture of personal opinion and objectivity that's helped me form that basis. Again, I will preface all of this by saying I don't think Scholes was bad or overrated, just that he has transcended to undeserved god-like levels since his retirement while also believing Lampard and Gerrard were better.

Scholes never once won Man Utd's POTY award. He was never selected in any FIFA World XI side and was never even close to the podium for the Ballon d'Or.

In comparison, Gerrard and Lampard finished 2nd and 3rd place in the Ballon d'Or respectively and were featured multiple times in the FIFA World XI. All of these were voted on by their peers and people in the game.

Scholes featured in the Premier League team of the year twice in his career while Gerrard had 8 appearances, Lampard 5. He never won any Journalist, Fan or Player's Player of the Year awards whilst Gerrard and Lampard have 6 between them.

He was played out of position for England to accommodate Lampard and Gerrard and eventually retired early from international football.

So, while he was clearly an excellent footballer, he was never in that top tier of elite players that Lampard and Gerrard were. And even though many players have came out with glowing reviews of him after his retirement, none of them bothered to vote for him in any of the aforementioned awards while he was actually playing. That is simply because there were others better than him, which included Lampard and Gerrard, in my opinion.

I've lifted most of that from a decent twitter thread on it. Worth a look to see some heads gone claims if nothing else.

Edited by AJF

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

@AJF championing Steven Gerrard? Well, I never. 😉

Haha, fishing rod away you!

To be fair, I was more of a Lampard fan. I'd have him in my team over Gerrard. It just so happens that my irrational irritation of Paul Scholes being put on a pedestal is best highlighted by using both Lampard and Gerrard 🤣

I also never liked Gerrard until he joined Rangers. So fickle. 

Paul Scholes has been over-hyped since his retirement. He was always an excellent footballer, but after he retired it became stylish for people to claim he was one of the best ever.
Sure, he contributed massively to Man Utd's dominance and success in a team, but as an individual, I don't think he was anywhere near the elite. Lampard and Gerrard were both way ahead of him.
Second worst take after Laudrup being better than Zidane.

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

It's a mixture of personal opinion and objectivity that's helped me form that basis. Again, I will preface all of this by saying I don't think Scholes was bad or overrated, just that he has transcended to undeserved god-like levels since his retirement while also believing Lampard and Gerrard were better.

Scholes never once won Man Utd's POTY award. He was never selected in any FIFA World XI side and was never even close to the podium for the Ballon d'Or.

In comparison, Gerrard and Lampard finished 2nd and 3rd place in the Ballon d'Or respectively and were featured multiple times in the FIFA World XI. All of these were voted on by their peers and people in the game.

Scholes featured in the Premier League team of the year twice in his career while Gerrard had 8 appearances, Lampard 5. He never won any Journalist, Fan or Player's Player of the Year awards whilst Gerrard and Lampard have 6 between them.

He was played out of position for England to accommodate Lampard and Gerrard and eventually retired early from international football.

So, while he was clearly an excellent footballer, he was never in that top tier of elite player's that Lampard and Gerrard were. And even though many player's have came out with glowing reviews of him after his retirement, none of them bothered to vote for him in any of the aforementioned awards while he was actually playing. That is simply because there were others better than him, which included Lampard and Gerrard, in my opinion.

I've lifted most of that from a decent twitter thread on it. Worth a look to see some heads gone claims if nothing else.

Awards ? Teams of the year ?  Roy Keane won the clubs player of the year the same season David Beckham was 2nd to Rivaldo for the Ballon D'Or how does that happen if these personal award actually mean something ?  i'm pretty sure everyone on the website is aware the english get a player in their sights and can go overboard, step forward wee stevie gerrard and to a lesser extend frank lampard, as for glowing reports from players who never voted for him at the time, maybe they voted for Roy Keane instead, a better footballer than anyone mentioned in your post.

12 minutes ago, AJF said:

To be fair, I was more of a Lampard fan. I'd have him in my team over Gerrard. It just so happens that my irrational irritation of Paul Scholes being put on a pedestal is best highlighted by using both Lampard and Gerrard 🤣

I would find it very hard to pick between Scholes, Lampard or Gerrard but I don’t think you can say any of them are over-hyped.

I suppose your earlier comments about Scholes having to play a different position to accommodate Lampard/Gerrard is justified with all those international tournaments England won.

Michael Laudrup was a tremendous player, not sure it's that wild to say he's at least in the same conversation as Zidane. The only question is whether being part of one of the best teams ever, packed with incredible talent, helped him out.

13 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, AJF said:

Second worst take after Laudrup being better than Zidane.

educate yourself young man

http://www.thefalsenine.co.uk/2013/07/15/iniesta-the-great-crowded-out-of-history-by-zidane-and-laudrup/

4 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

He was fuckin' crap for Scotland.  What's the point in playing players consistently crap because he's good at club level?  It's like consisting of a player your club signed because he was great elsewhere. 

Fletcher was not "fuckin' crap for Scotland", that's another one of those acid tests I mentioned earlier.

20 minutes ago, AJF said:

I always much preferred scholes to either of them two tbh. Superb to watch. 

I actually never really enjoyed watching lampard. Note I’m not claiming he wasn’t any good, I just couldn’t ever get excited watching him. 

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Meldrew with another outrageous take for attention. Colour me shocked 

take for attention ? gie's peace ya knob, if your knowledge only stretches to what you see on you tube, don't bother mentioning me in your posts.

stick to telling folk yer da told you Eamonn Bannon wis a braw player.

21 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

Awards ? Teams of the year ?  Roy Keane won the clubs player of the year the same season David Beckham was 2nd to Rivaldo for the Ballon D'Or how does that happen if these personal award actually mean something ?  i'm pretty sure everyone on the website is aware the english get a player in their sights and can go overboard, step forward wee stevie gerrard and to a lesser extend frank lampard, as for glowing reports from players who never voted for him at the time, maybe they voted for Roy Keane instead, a better footballer than anyone mentioned in your post.

I wouldn't put complete faith in individual awards, as I said, it was a mixture of personal opinion and objective examples I could find to support my view. And they show that Lampard and Gerrard were rated higher by their peers than Scholes was when they were all playing. This, in turn, supports my theory that Scholes has been over-hyped since his retirement to a level I don't believe is merited.

19 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I would find it very hard to pick between Scholes, Lampard or Gerrard but I don’t think you can say any of them are over-hyped.

I suppose your earlier comments about Scholes having to play a different position to accommodate Lampard/Gerrard is justified with all those international tournaments England won.

Again, my over-hyped comment is in regards to Scholes being viewed in a higher regard after he retired compared to his playing days. I'm not saying while he was playing he was undeserving of the praise he got, just that it went OTT after he stopped playing.

Edited by AJF

9 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

take for attention ? gie's peace ya knob, if your knowledge only stretches to what you see on you tube, don't bother mentioning me in your posts.

stick to telling folk yer da told you Eamonn Bannon wis a braw player.

At least its not homophobic or advocating violence against women so better than much of your output