Players you never quite got the hype around

Davie Weir was a fucking excellent centre half and one coaches  should actively be telling kids to look back at videos of to learn from. Woeful shout. 

As is anybody claiming Zander Diamond was once rated. Anybody who watched that foal on ice and thought "Here, he will be decent in a few years" needs to lay aff the mushy's. f**k me man. 

18 minutes ago, AndyM said:

I was a fan of Barry Ferguson. Thought he was a hugely talented midfielder. Still remember his performance at Wembley in 99 when as a teenager he was head and shoulders above anything in the England midfield which consisted of  Paul Ince, Jamie Redknapp, David Beckham and Paul Scholes

Yep he should have kicked on from that but somehow never did

29 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Davie Weir was a fucking excellent centre half and one coaches  should actively be telling kids to look back at videos of to learn from. Woeful shout. 

As is anybody claiming Zander Diamond was once rated. Anybody who watched that foal on ice and thought "Here, he will be decent in a few years" needs to lay aff the mushy's. f**k me man. 

I wasn’t talking about Weir’s overall career which is impressive I was talking about his time at Rangers that had the media go misty eyed over him. His legs had pretty much gone which is why he was back in Scottish football.

2 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

'Personally, it has been great to see guys like Jaap Stam and Sami Hyypia move on to better things and I've no doubt it will happen for Zander too.'

Am I missing something in that apparently random double comparison to the bold Zander? Have I forgotten Jaap Stam coming through the ranks at Aberdeen or something? 

2 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

Shane Duffy? There was a fair bit of hype and expectation around him, no? Look how that turned out. 

Don’t know if that’s quite the same - was that not English lads thinking that because he’d played in the Barclays, he’d pish it in the Scottish ‘my nan could score’ league?

I don’t think anyone predicted quite how bad he’d be, to be fair. 

Just now, The Other Foot said:

Shane Duffy? There was a fair bit of hype and expectation around him, no? Look how that turned out. 

If we're talking players who were knocking on a bit but still got talked up by the press as they headed North, let's not forget Glenn Whelan, the uninterested fucker's uninterested fucker.

4 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

'Personally, it has been great to see guys like Jaap Stam and Sami Hyypia move on to better things and I've no doubt it will happen for Zander too.'

Am I missing something in that apparently random double comparison to the bold Zander? Have I forgotten Jaap Stam coming through the ranks at Aberdeen or something? 

Did you not read the previous line of the article?

"It shows how far he has come on over the last year," said Calderwood, who has helped a number of players move to bigger clubs during his coaching spells in the Netherlands and Scotland.

"However, I don't think it would be advantageous for him to move just now.

"Personally, it has been great to see guys like Jaap Stam and Sami Hyypia move on to better things and I've no doubt it will happen for Zander too.

On 03/11/2021 at 07:56, craigkillie said:

I feel like whether or not someone rated Barry Ferguson is a real acid test for me in terms of whether to take their opinions seriously or not. Once you start all the backpass or crab patter I start to zone you out a bit. He'd have made it to a much higher level if he was playing now, in an era where metronomic midfielders like him are more appreciated.

I always remember Barry Ferguson absolutely running the show for Rangers against us at Rugby Park. I remember one midweek night especially where I felt like he dragged Rangers to victory in one of the best performances I saw live.

I remember on a thread a couple of years ago about Scottish players who were top level I named Ferguson as the last “best” Scottish player (pre Robertson etc) and getting hammered for it.

As for my contribution to this thread - 2 Aberdeen players for me who I thought were/are way overhyped:

Scott McKenna (thought he was ok)

Lewis Ferguson (maybe it’s exactly the same as those who don’t see what his uncle Barry did so well but I just don’t really rate the boy).

Obviously Aberdeen beat us something ridiculous like 20 games out of 24 with these guys in the team for a large chunk of those games but still.

Edited by Sortmeout

24 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

I think that was more someone who didn’t live up to the hype. Although I was bemused by the initial fanfare round him, it was if we had signed Paul McGrath rather than a basic EPL defender. I can also remember Murmurs at the time that Lennon didn’t really want him but Desmond did. In hindsight he was never really going to fit in to our high line system. 

6 hours ago, gannonball said:

Not his entire career but I really didn't get the media love in with Davie Weir when he came to Rangers. Was a very steady hand but equally lucky to have suck a quick player in Bougherra beside him. He did a decent job but the way the media used to go on about him was nauseating.

Alternatively, Weir was so good that he made utter shitehawk that was Bougherra look competent. Similar to Andy Webster alongside Garry Kenneth at United

4 hours ago, AndyM said:

I was a fan of Barry Ferguson. Thought he was a hugely talented midfielder. Still remember his performance at Wembley in 99 when as a teenager he was head and shoulders above anything in the England midfield which consisted of  Paul Ince, Jamie Redknapp, David Beckham and Paul Scholes

4 players I never got the hype about for this pish (well, to an extent)

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Alternatively, Weir was so good that he made utter shitehawk that was Bougherra look competent. Similar to Andy Webster alongside Garry Kenneth at United

4 players I never got the hype about for this pish (well, to an extent)

Paul scholes was fantastic. Doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as once or redknapp. 

Beckham I think was overrated during his career but probably underrated now by people who insist his celebrity lifestyle masked the fact he was shite. He clearly wasn’t. 

He was. My issue with him was the whole "ah, the wee lad, he just can't tackle" pish that followed him round. He had a nasty streak and made some horrible challenges that were brushed off because of it. The one on Deschamps in the semi final in 1999 was a particularly dreadful example.

Guest Bob Mahelp

I'm interested in all the Davie Weir comments. 

If anything, Weir was highly underrated as a footballer. Probably the last decent centre half we had in a Scotland shirt.

He was never, ever 'hyped'. I think. 

7 hours ago, gannonball said:

Not his entire career but I really didn't get the media love in with Davie Weir when he came to Rangers. Was a very steady hand but equally lucky to have suck a quick player in Bougherra beside him. He did a decent job but the way the media used to go on about him was nauseating.

Think we played against Weir once or twice in cup competitions while he was still playing, iirc he got away with being a fouling, handsy b*****d both times. Probably one of those where if he's on your team you love watching it but if its against you it gets really frustrating really quickly. Guess it comes with that age/experience knowing exactly what you can get away with. David Lilley was similar when i saw him against us, constantly grabbing players but in situations where the ref rarely gave fouls for it.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely