Jump to content

Players you never quite got the hype around


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The most hyped youngsters in Scottish football at this moment are probably Nathan Patterson and Calvin Ramsey. It's too early to say if they're 'over hyped', but they definitely have potential. 

Whether it's a good thing or bad it certainly keeps players grounded,you don't have to look to far for criticism. 
Tierney got the same treatment (hes not as good as Robertson pish) Patterson and Ramsey are much the same.
Calling Gauld the mini messi probably didn't help him,the expectation on him to perform was too much it's no surprise he left before his career got started.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Not his entire career but I really didn't get the media love in with Davie Weir when he came to Rangers. Was a very steady hand but equally lucky to have suck a quick player in Bougherra beside him. He did a decent job but the way the media used to go on about him was nauseating.

Davie Weir was a fantastic player. His time at Hearts was incredible. I genuinely don’t remember him having a bad game. His performance at Celtic Park in the 1998 Cup Final ranks as one of the best I’ve seen from a Scottish centrehalf.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s also worth recognising that someone being overhyped or overrated doesn’t necessarily mean they are poor or shite. Some pretty good players get hyped up beyond their actual worth. Kieran Tierney falls in to that category for me. Clearly a very good player, but just not as good as he was being made out to be.

There’s a few of them at Hibs just now too. Doig for one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Not his entire career but I really didn't get the media love in with Davie Weir when he came to Rangers. Was a very steady hand but equally lucky to have suck a quick player in Bougherra beside him. He did a decent job but the way the media used to go on about him was nauseating.

Gary Caldwell went up in the eyes of Celtic fans to a quite phenomenal level the night he planted one on that wankers jaw 😎👊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, G51 said:

Conceded double the domestic goals in 82/83 than Rangers did last year. 

That Aberdeen defence looks porous in comparison.

Last season was probably one of the worst in my living memory for overall league quality though, which made our toiling even more embarrassing tbh.

 

1 minute ago, Flybhoy said:

Gary Caldwell went up in the eyes of Celtic fans to a quite phenomenal level the night he planted one on that wankers jaw 😎👊

One of my favourite nights at CP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Last season was probably one of the worst in my living memory for overall league quality though, which made our toiling even more embarrassing tbh.

 

One of my favourite nights at CP.

Not according to any objective measure of league quality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

David Weir was a sensational footballer. I walked into Brockville late one day to see a centre half I didn't recognise lining up to make his debut.

It was versus Dundee United* and he did not allow Duncan Ferguson the slightest sniff. Amazing debut, and he went on to star for us for the next 3 1/2 years. His career thereafter was testament to his ability, and he deserved every bit of praise that came his way as a player.

That nauseating strip he wore with the craven lickspittle message to the royal wedding stained his legacy though.

My wife knew him before he went off to America and went out to dinner in a double date with her lad at the time, DW and his girlfriend. Said he was nice but somewhat dull. 😄

 

* 1-1 draw, Scott Sloan netting for the Bairns. Paddy Connolly had a world class miss when he went round Tony Parks and 8 yards out in front of a (literally) open goal, he slid it wide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Whether it's a good thing or bad it certainly keeps players grounded,you don't have to look to far for criticism. 
Tierney got the same treatment (hes not as good as Robertson pish) Patterson and Ramsey are much the same.
Calling Gauld the mini messi probably didn't help him,the expectation on him to perform was too much it's no surprise he left before his career got started.

Yeah, Gauld is a very good example of an over hyped youngster. Scott Allan as well. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, G51 said:

Not according to any objective measure of league quality.

A combination of very low Budgets from COVID and nobody seemingly actually wanting 3rd place just made all very meh for me, especially with lack of intensity at times with no crowds.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Not his entire career but I really didn't get the media love in with Davie Weir when he came to Rangers. Was a very steady hand but equally lucky to have suck a quick player in Bougherra beside him. He did a decent job but the way the media used to go on about him was nauseating.

You could pretty much randomly insert the name of any OF player, instead of Davie Weir. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

A combination of very low Budgets from COVID and nobody seemingly actually wanting 3rd place just made all very meh for me, especially with lack of intensity at times with no crowds.
 

Don’t question the greatest team of all time, the thread is going to be flooded with a load of stats now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, gannonball said:

A combination of very low Budgets from COVID and nobody seemingly actually wanting 3rd place just made all very meh for me, especially with lack of intensity at times with no crowds.
 

What made it meh for you is that you blew a once in a lifetime chance to make history

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Don’t question the greatest team of all time, the thread is going to be flooded with a load of stats now. 

Aberdeen basically decided to stop playing football as a New Years resolution yet still nearly finished 3rd kind of sums it up for me.

9 minutes ago, G51 said:

What made it meh for you is that you blew a once in a lifetime chance to make history

Whilst we probably don’t look at it  through the same shade of specs Rangers* could only beat what was put out in front of them and they did it in an impressive organised and professional way. But I just found the closed door games a bit of a chore to watch and not just Celtic games. 

Edited by gannonball
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

The Venn diagram for the Barry Ferguson deniers and folk that just don't like Rangers is a complete circle. 

He was a class act and would still be the best midfielder in the country if he was playing today. 

Yes, he was a thick ned, and yes, he was a Rangers fan, but those things don't make him over rated. 

There's also been a bit of revisionism about his time in the Premiership in England. He was Captain and won Blackburn's player of the year before he decided he missed his maws cooking. 

@DMCs take back what you said about Sasa Papac right now our you and I will need to have words. 

I was a fan of Barry Ferguson. Thought he was a hugely talented midfielder. Still remember his performance at Wembley in 99 when as a teenager he was head and shoulders above anything in the England midfield which consisted of  Paul Ince, Jamie Redknapp, David Beckham and Paul Scholes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...