Players you never quite got the hype around

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Lawrence '5 heid' Shankland.

Queue all the DABS posting highlight reels of him scoring against The Dee. But let's face it, who can't?

Bizarrely it's usually always Ayr fans crawing because he scored goals in League One. There are a select few Arabs who still claim he was unbelievable but let down by every manager he played under but people with a half decent eye always seen he was pretty poor and easily dealt with. 

The Venn diagram for the Barry Ferguson deniers and folk that just don't like Rangers is a complete circle. 

He was a class act and would still be the best midfielder in the country if he was playing today. 

Yes, he was a thick ned, and yes, he was a Rangers fan, but those things don't make him over rated. 

There's also been a bit of revisionism about his time in the Premiership in England. He was Captain and won Blackburn's player of the year before he decided he missed his maws cooking. 

@DMCs take back what you said about Sasa Papac right now our you and I will need to have words. 

49 minutes ago, NYD1997 said:

Barasic/tav/Josh Doig/ Izaguirre - grouped these all together as majorly overhyped as ok going forward but can’t/couldn’t defend 

Tavernier and Barisic were first team regulars in the best defensive team in the history of Scottish football lol

3 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

The Venn diagram for the Barry Ferguson deniers and folk that just don't like Rangers is a complete circle. 

He was a class act and would still be the best midfielder in the country if he was playing today. 

Yes, he was a thick ned, and yes, he was a Rangers fan, but those things don't make him over rated. 

There's also been a bit of revisionism about his time in the Premiership in England. He was Captain and won Blackburn's player of the year before he decided he missed his maws cooking. 

@DMCs take back what you said about Sasa Papac right now our you and I will need to have words. 

Ferguson was a very, very good footballer. He fucking strolled it at EPL level. Anyone who says otherwise is at it.

But.... I do think he could have done more in a Scotland shirt to lead the team during difficult moments. His Scotland career was spent mostly in fucking awful teams and we could have done with him stepping up more IMO. 

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

Tavernier and Barisic were first team regulars in the best defensive team in the history of Scottish football lol

And yet shagger and Goodson had to have the seasons of their life’s in games you were strolling…

4 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Ferguson was a very, very good footballer. He fucking strolled it at EPL level. Anyone who says otherwise is at it.

But.... I do think he could have done more in a Scotland shirt to lead the team during difficult moments. His Scotland career was spent mostly in fucking awful teams and we could have done with him stepping up more IMO. 

I think that's fair. 

Barry Ferguson was class for Scotland (aside from free kicks) and we haven't replaced him. 

He had that other underrated quality of being a snarly moaning b*****d and was, as the cliche would have it, a winner. 

I'm also not the biggest McGinn fan. Worst first touch in the team. Decent knack of scoring, and can win the ball back impressively, but I just don't reckon he's that good.

2 minutes ago, NYD1997 said:

And yet shagger and Goodson had to have the seasons of their life’s in games you were strolling…

Players do generally need to play well in order to be part of era-defining teams

Guest Bob Mahelp
32 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

It was actually because his missus missed her favourite hairdresser.

30 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I see I've caused a bit of controversy with this one! Well as RandomGuy points out he was a man on a mission against St Johnstone...

The entire jambos team. Don’t get the hype about them at all.
Destroyed by the dons on Saturday and outplayed at Tynecastle earlier in the season. 
Also Andy Halliday is over rated, as somebody must have offered him some kind of a contract. 

Guest Wieghortsnut
3 hours ago, Clown Job said:

I believe Mark Burchill also received that label 

Still can't get over the fact he started the 2003 Cup final

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

In 5 years you'll be able to sum up the ineptitude of this Celtic "era" by telling folk Stephen Welsh and Tony Ralston, who'll both have been released and signed by League Two Falkirk, were regular starters and were handed 5 year deals off the back off simply playing regularly when there was nobody else.

is that the same 5 years where we look back and say, the quality must have been pretty poor in 2021, St Johnstone won the 2 main cups competitions.

3 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

Since he left, he's been meaningless at every other club. 

Overrated (by myself included, unashamedly)? Yes, and is realistically currently at his level imo. 'Meaningless' is far too harsh though. Key in our upturn in form and momentum towards promotion. A perfectly fine striker for the Prem, but unfortunately his reputation has preceded him - in more than one fashion.