Players you never quite got the hype around

13 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Saying he was a different level to anyone else in Scotland at the time doesn't mean he wasn't overhyped. It really is the faintest of praise. Most people wouldn't recognise Paul McStay from the hysterical nonsense you write. McStay stayed in Scotland because he wasn't good enough to play at a higher level, as demonstrated by a succession of non-descript performances in a Scotland shirt. 

Oh dear.

On 28/11/2022 at 15:12, velo army said:

Ferguson would have played for and captained Liverpool if he'd played today. A fantastic player who absolutely was also a snarling wee ned. The latter was part of why I liked him tbh. I feel the Scotland team have, at times, needed a moany-faced wee bastart.

So, his CV in England at a time when the league there was massively weaker than it is today reads Blackburn (!) Birmingham (!!) Blackpool (!!!) and Fleetwood (!!!!) but if he moved down there today he’d magically appear (as captain no less) at one of the top 5 clubs on the continent??? 

I’d love to see your working on that one. 

On 29/11/2022 at 13:13, VincentGuerin said:

Oh dear.

Are you a special friend of Paul or something ? How horrid , I know, for some ingrate not to bow down before the old firm media erected alter of Mr McStay.  I feel for you. If it's any consolation Danny McGrain was truly world class at his peak. And he stayed in Scotland. That good enough for you, Mr Old Firm sycophant ?

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

Are you a special friend of Paul or something ? How horrid , I know, for some ingrate not to bow down before the old firm media erected alter of Mr McStay.  I feel for you. If it's any consolation Danny McGrain was truly world class at his peak. And he stayed in Scotland. That good enough for you, Mr Old Firm sycophant ?

Oh dear. 

2 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

You do realise he’s a Hearts fan? 

12 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

So, his CV in England at a time when the league there was massively weaker than it is today reads Blackburn (!) Birmingham (!!) Blackpool (!!!) and Fleetwood (!!!!) but if he moved down there today he’d magically appear (as captain no less) at one of the top 5 clubs on the continent??? 

He was much better than Jordan Henderson. That's the sum of it.

16 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Junior Arab indeed. You must be quite a young'un to not recall that when Ferguson went to Blackburn, that was a deal worth over 7 million quid to join a team that had just finished sixth in the Premier League. And he did well there, apart from having a bad injury.

Football is very different now to 2003, and a player of Ferguson's type would be much more in demand than it was then.

This thread is really quite revealing with what some folk just don't know or understand.

A young Ferguson in today's market, provided he wanted to, would be off to a good club at a pretty young age.

58 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Junior Arab indeed. You must be quite a young'un to not recall that when Ferguson went to Blackburn, that was a deal worth over 7 million quid to join a team that had just finished sixth in the Premier League. And he did well there, apart from having a bad injury.

Football is very different now to 2003, and a player of Ferguson's type would be much more in demand than it was then.

This thread is really quite revealing with what some folk just don't know or understand.

A young Ferguson in today's market, provided he wanted to, would be off to a good club at a pretty young age.

Whilst I agree with you, to some extent, on Ferguson you do seem like the kind of person where your own opinion is the only one that counts.

31 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

You wonder how far Ferguson could have gone if he'd never discovered Monster Munch.

Further than even the mighty Blackburn Rovers (who were willing to sell him at a considerable loss after only 18 months) if some of the posters on here are to believed…

Edited by Junior_Arab

On 29/11/2022 at 13:02, kennie makevin said:

Saying he was a different level to anyone else in Scotland at the time doesn't mean he wasn't overhyped. It really is the faintest of praise. Most people wouldn't recognise Paul McStay from the hysterical nonsense you write. McStay stayed in Scotland because he wasn't good enough to play at a higher level, as demonstrated by a succession of non-descript performances in a Scotland shirt. 

I agree with your comments on McStay - he had potential and never fully realised it.  

I believe Ferguson was a far superior player. 

15 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Further than even the mighty Blackburn Rovers (who were willing to sell him at a considerable loss after only 18 months) if some of the posters on here are to believed…

He was their captain and he had to put in a transfer request to force the move. I hated Barry Ferguson but he was clearly a great player imo.

Barry Ferguson was a horrible wee shite but a great player. His first spell in England he was slow to settle then had a bad injury but in the months before he left he was excellent.

He regularly ran the midfield in champions league games and was mostly very effective for Scotland.

Should have played at a far higher level, but his old firmyness meant all he wanted to do was win Scottish titles and pump the likes of Hamilton and Dundee United.