Players you never quite got the hype around

Don't make me tap the sign.

On 03/11/2021 at 07:56, craigkillie said:

I feel like whether or not someone rated Barry Ferguson is a real acid test for me in terms of whether to take their opinions seriously or not. Once you start all the backpass or crab patter I start to zone you out a bit. He'd have made it to a much higher level if he was playing now, in an era where metronomic midfielders like him are more appreciated.

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Don't make me tap the sign.

While I agree he would be better suited to today's game, he was naturally hyped when he played. Evidenced by the fact he spent the majority of his career is Scotland aside from some middle of the road/lower English teams.

Naturally there will be hype around young scottish players, especially those who play in Glasgow, but all to often the hype is just that. There is a well worn hype path: get a few games for Rantic, be hyped as the next best thing> touted for Scotland >given a couple of caps >binned by club for dud foreign player> punted to Fleetwood/Swindon/Birmingham> return to mid table Scottish team and then a stint on sportsound followed by a wee try at a lower league side then all repeat.

McStay and Ferguson were both good midfielders but were spectacularly overhyped. Ferguson probably wins this particular battle as he at least tried to test himself in England, whereas McStay took the easier option of remaining a big fish in a Celtic side which had little expected of it in the last few years of his career anyway. 

I agree with Craigkillie's view on those who don't rate Ferguson, but, to be honest, the same applies to those who don't rate McStay. A fantastic fitba player, and people who can't see that have no business watching the game.

His ability to make space in crowded midfield on shite pitches with folk booting him up in the air all the time was incredible. He was on a different level to anyone else in Scotland at the time, and had he wanted to go and play elsewhere he could easily have done so and shone. That he chose to stay in Scotland is his business, but folk who don't rate him haven't got a fucking clue.

IMO.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Ferguson would have played for and captained Liverpool if he'd played today. A fantastic player who absolutely was also a snarling wee ned. The latter was part of why I liked him tbh. I feel the Scotland team have, at times, needed a moany-faced wee bastart.

Feguson mk1 was sensational. When he come back up the road and wanted to take all corners, free kicks, goal kicks and throw ins he'd lost a bit but was still a class above. 

McStay was before my time.

Nadir Ciftci is the answer I bring here. Always a terribly flukey player. 

22 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I agree with Craigkillie's view on those who don't rate Ferguson, but, to be honest, the same applies to those who don't rate McStay. A fantastic fitba player, and people who can't see that have no business watching the game.

His ability to make space in crowded midfield on shite pitches with folk booting him up in the air all the time was incredible. He was on a different level to anyone else in Scotland at the time, and had he wanted to go and play elsewhere he could easily have done so and shone. That he chose to stay in Scotland is his business, but folk who don't rate him haven't got a fucking clue.

IMO.

Saying he was a different level to anyone else in Scotland at the time doesn't mean he wasn't overhyped. It really is the faintest of praise. Most people wouldn't recognise Paul McStay from the hysterical nonsense you write. McStay stayed in Scotland because he wasn't good enough to play at a higher level, as demonstrated by a succession of non-descript performances in a Scotland shirt.