Players you never quite got the hype around

On 03/11/2021 at 12:09, wastecoatwilly said:

I quite like the contradiction in the title,a lot of McStay chit chat when he played with Burns he was brilliant when he played with Grant he was a stand out.

Paul McStay was a fantastic footballer. He probably should have moved on from Celtic as would have been ideally suited to Italian football however no move ever materialised. There seems to be a common misconception that he never won anything but he actually won numerous league winners medals and Scottish Cup winners medals. He also played on 2 World Cups and a European Championship for Scotland. He was a very, very talented midfielder.

He was levels above Calum McGregor but he’s won won so many trophies for Celtic a lot of Celtic fans will have fonder memories of McGregor. In my opinion though, he couldn’t lace McStay’s boots.

10 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Paul McStay was a fantastic footballer. He probably should have moved on from Celtic as would have been ideally suited to Italian football however no move ever materialised. There seems to be a common misconception that he never won anything but he actually won numerous league winners medals and Scottish Cup winners medals. He also played on 2 World Cups and a European Championship for Scotland. He was a very, very talented midfielder.

He was levels above Calum McGregor but he’s won won so many trophies for Celtic a lot of Celtic fans will have fonder memories of McGregor. In my opinion though, he couldn’t lace McStay’s boots.

I think the misconception comes from the 1990's were Celtic had a poor decade,people forget about the 80's if you were old enough.
Calling him the maestro could be classed as being over-hyped but he wore the tag well,he was a fantastic player and a lot of Celtic fans have him in their best ever 11 to have worn the jersey.
I wouldn't compare the two, the only thing they may have in common is playing for Celtic,some people mite see that is a lack of ambition no Celtic fan would admit that.

4 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I think the misconception comes from the 1990's were Celtic had a poor decade,people forget about the 80's if you were old enough.
Calling him the maestro could be classed as being over-hyped but he wore the tag well,he was a fantastic player and a lot of Celtic fans have him in their best ever 11 to have worn the jersey.
I wouldn't compare the two, the only thing they may have in common is playing for Celtic,some people mite see that is a lack of ambition no Celtic fan would admit that.

Unfortunately I’m old enough to remember the 80’s 😂.

McStay should have moved in the 80’s when Inter wanted him but by the 90’s the opportunity to move had probably passed him by.

He was a brilliant passer of the ball and had many other attributes to his game.

I don’t think McGregor has ever had the opportunity to move as there have never been any bids for him have there ?

25 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Unfortunately I’m old enough to remember the 80’s 😂.

McStay should have moved in the 80’s when Inter wanted him but by the 90’s the opportunity to move had probably passed him by.

He was a brilliant passer of the ball and had many other attributes to his game.

I don’t think McGregor has ever had the opportunity to move as there have never been any bids for him have there ?

I think it would be a surprise if McGregor left Celtic now but I also think there is a misconception that players get better after they leave, I would say there has not been many that have came back better players Lambert and Collins Definitely. 

Zidane is one of the best players I’ve ever seen. I’m 42 and saw both Laudrups play, wonderful players, but Zidane was just another level for me. Zidane and the original Ronaldo were football manna to watch.
100%true let's not forget Ronaldinho,that goofy f"^cker was absolutely immense,some sublime football,that Brazil team [emoji122] Roberto Carlos and his left foot [emoji15]

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Laudrup better than Zidane. f**k me. 

M6W1BUh0T61T%2BzDDYqIFHU=&risl=&pid=ImgR

https://fpl360.com/2020/11/16/michael-laudrup-denmarks-greatest-ever-footballer-who-deserved-more-recognition/

the ex pros in this article must be talking shite, either that or they've never watched any youtube highlight reels

Edited by Meldrew

5 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I thought someone had said Brian Laudrup was better than Zidane there.

I don't think Michael was better than Zidane, but he was a  sensational player

It’s absolutely not a *completely*  ridiculous suggestion.  Michael Laudrup was a  global star.   Brian Laudrup was one hell of a player, too.  Scottish players couldn’t get near him.  Some of his performances for Rangers were laughably good.  I remember a friendly game at Ibrox between Scotland and Denmark.  Craig Brown put six defenders in the team, and Scotland still couldn’t get the ball off the pair of them.  

Edit: I haven’t read this thread properly, but if anyone is suggesting that either of the Laudrup brothers was “a player you just didn’t get the hype around”, they need their head examined.  

Edited by Savage Henry

16 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:
Most of the current Man U squad obviously excepting Ronaldo and Fernandes. 

You mean Harry Maguire?

Not just him, most of them from the keeper on. Pogba the clown, Saint Rash. A 36 y/o man putting these overrated buffoons to shame. Where is the 80m Borussia wunderkind btw? 

Edited by Snifter Pee Rot