Players you never quite got the hype around

2 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Ferguson was a very, very good footballer. He fucking strolled it at EPL level. Anyone who says otherwise is at it.

2 hours ago, velo army said:

Barry Ferguson was class for Scotland (aside from free kicks) and we haven't replaced him. 

He had that other underrated quality of being a snarly moaning b*****d and was, as the cliche would have it, a winner. 

Completely agree. He was a tremendous player, and whether in big European matches for Rangers or big Scotland internationals, he often more than held his own against some of the top midfielders around.

But yes, a horrible wee ned as well.

11 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Sad to say but we Scottish fans are rubbish at over-hyping average players. The English are the masters here, drooling and talking endlessly about some player or other who changed their life and club but in reality were dross. 

I remember the 2010 World Cup. England started the tournament badly and were looking for some magic bullet to save them. The newspapers, 5Live, TalkShite and the likes started hyping up the return of Gareth Barry from injury as the answer to their problems. 

I'd agree.

Harry McGuire is an £80m player and Jack Grealish £100m..... :blink:

3 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Ferguson was a very, very good footballer. He fucking strolled it at EPL level. Anyone who says otherwise is at it.

Just googled him and his EPL career doesn’t seem particularly impressive. 36 games over 2 seasons at Blackburn then sold back to Rangers at a loss of £3million then back down south a few years later to play for poor Birmingham, Blackpool and Fleetwood Town sides. 

16 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Just googled him and his EPL career doesn’t seem particularly impressive. 36 games over 2 seasons at Blackburn then sold back to Rangers at a loss of £3million then back down south a few years later to play for poor Birmingham, Blackpool and Fleetwood Town sides. 

He did fracture his kneecap tbf, which may have impacted his game time.

6 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Fernando Dickson

Russell Anderson

Jon Daly

Jackie McNamara

Was Ricksen particularly over-hyped? He won POTY in 04/05 after an excellent season moving into midfield and grabbed a handful of caps for the Netherlands. He turned out to be a pretty good player and an excellent leader for us after a poor start, but I can’t imagine many that would describe him as much more than that.

7 hours ago, velo army said:

He did fracture his kneecap tbf, which may have impacted his game time.

Yeah, that’s fair but then if it means that he basically played 1 full season down there again it doesn’t endorse the idea that he skooshed it. 

I’ve heard a few Blackburn players raving about a midfielder they signed from Rangers about that time saying he was one of the best they ever played with, had amazing technique etc.

But they’re talking about Tugay not Ferguson. 

Barry Ferguson was a tremendous player. He broke in to a Rangers team full of genuine top class internationals, and earned his inclusion. He was a far more attack minded player before his knee injuries started to hamper him. He adapted his game after that, and sat deeper moving the ball intelligently, creating opportunities for other players. 

It’s one thing to dislike a player and rip in to him for being a colossal bellend, which arguably Ferguson was/is, but surely nobody is so completely lacking in football understanding and experience, that they genuinely think he wasn’t a very good player?

I have a genuine respect (sometimes grudgingly) for players who successfully adapt their game to mitigate injuries or age. Others who have done this include: Allan Johnstone, Gary Locke and Lee McCulloch. 

Was Ricksen particularly over-hyped? He won POTY in 04/05 after an excellent season moving into midfield and grabbed a handful of caps for the Netherlands. He turned out to be a pretty good player and an excellent leader for us after a poor start, but I can’t imagine many that would describe him as much more than that.

I'd say he was underrated if anything, he had a bad start at Rangers and folk couldn't shake that off even once he started to improve.

Just now, craigkillie said:

I'd say he was underrated if anything, he had a bad start at Rangers and folk couldn't shake that off even once he started to improve.

I think with Ricksen a lot of it was down to him being an angry tantrum prone dirty bassa on the pitch. A lot of attention was diverted on to that, and as a result, people were loathe to give him credit for the things he was actually very good at. It took a while before people were willing to accept he was also a very talented player. 

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Did I just see Halliday mentioned? Folk actually rate/hype him? He’s fucking shite.

Don’t think he’s a bad shout for this thread actually. There are Hearts supporters who were doing cartwheels when we signed him, based purely on the fact he played for a (probably the worst ever) Rangers side. 

I got the hype with Naismith and Lafferty, absolutely, they were a part of very good Rangers sides and didn’t look out of place. 

Edited by Kyle Reese

Shite tattoos, ill-tempered and a lover of all things Rangers. It's no surprise Halliday is popular with a certain element of the Hearts support.

But even they must realise he's not great at football.

Guest Bob Mahelp

I think that some people are getting confused between the phrases 'over hyped' and 'over rated'. There's a subtle difference between the two. 

In Scottish football, 'over hyped' tends to apply to youngsters who have/had potential but who's career never really meets/met the expectations that many had. 

The most hyped youngsters in Scottish football at this moment are probably Nathan Patterson and Calvin Ramsey. It's too early to say if they're 'over hyped', but they definitely have potential. 

For me, a classic example of 'over hyping' a player is Tony Watt. Came on for Celtic, scored the winner against Barcelona, and everyone predicted a glittering career full of international caps and goals. 

But it wasn't to be....not Watt's fault, it's just that he wasn't all that good and the Barcelona goal was a diamond amongst a bucket of turds. 

There must be other plenty of similar examples. It often happens with young centre halves, because we're all desperate for our club to develop the next Beckenbauer.....I suppose a current example of an over hyped player (although only amongst fans of his club) would be Ryan Porteous. 

Scott McKenna could come into that category. I'm trying to think of others. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I think that some people are getting confused between the phrases 'over hyped' and 'over rated'. There's a subtle difference between the two. 

In Scottish football, 'over hyped' tends to apply to youngsters who have/had potential but who's career never really meets/met the expectations that many had. 

The most hyped youngsters in Scottish football at this moment are probably Nathan Patterson and Calvin Ramsey. It's too early to say if they're 'over hyped', but they definitely have potential. 

For me, a classic example of 'over hyping' a player is Tony Watt. Came on for Celtic, scored the winner against Barcelona, and everyone predicted a glittering career full of international caps and goals. 

But it wasn't to be....not Watt's fault, it's just that he wasn't all that good and the Barcelona goal was a diamond amongst a bucket of turds. 

There must be other plenty of similar examples. It often happens with young centre halves, because we're all desperate for our club to develop the next Beckenbauer.....I suppose a current example of an over hyped player (although only amongst fans of his club) would be Ryan Porteous. 

Harry Cochrane could fall into that category

Had a great game against us, was tipped for all sorts and seems to have fizzled out 

7 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Going back a wee bit Fraser fyvie probably fell into that category after performing well at 16. He had a decent career but never troubled the Scotland squad etc. Bad injuries may have done that to him. 

even the likes of diamond, Chris maguire etc were hyped up at a young age. 

On 03/11/2021 at 09:18, DMCs said:

Kevin McKenna

Presumably you mean Scott (who is indeed hugely over-rated), and not Hearts' erstwhile emergency centre forward from a good few years back?

Of players currently playing in Scotland, Ryan Porteous is the most over-rated by a country mile.  Maybe I've just missed his great games, but whenever I see him, he looks like the worst player even in a Hibs back line which contains one of the (much, much) lesser McGinns.

26 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Harry Cochrane could fall into that category

Had a great game against us, was tipped for all sorts and seems to have fizzled out 

Ruined by that arsehole Levein, who played him in pretty much every game that season when he wasn't ready for that amount of games, then ignored him completely thereafter before chucking him out on loans when he'd not played competitive games for months.

Might not have made it at SPL level anyway, but Levein made certain of that.

Not his entire career but I really didn't get the media love in with Davie Weir when he came to Rangers. Was a very steady hand but equally lucky to have suck a quick player in Bougherra beside him. He did a decent job but the way the media used to go on about him was nauseating.