Players you never quite got the hype around

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Clark gets some unfair stick IMO.

Watched the highlight reel of saves from the Utd game and there was only one save I wouldn't have been angry about my goalie conceding a goal from.

He deserved it (in sense he wasn't playing well) last season but certainly in my case, if I'm prepared to dish it out back then, I need to fight his corner and praise him now.

8 minutes ago, Radford said:

He deserved it (in sense he wasn't playing well) last season but certainly in my case, if I'm prepared to dish it out back then, I need to fight his corner and praise him now.

He's a good SPFL keeper. In that bracket there's usually some ups and downs. 

43 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Gary Mackay-Steven was massively overrated. 

An absolute ghost is most games.

That's a really good one actually.  Very average.

Just now, TheScarf said:

That's a really good one actually.  Very average.

Surely just a classic case of a winger that lacks consistency. 

Similar to peak Niall mcginn, capable of moments of real genuine quality but found their level in Scotland because they can’t produce it regularly. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Surely just a classic case of a winger that lacks consistency. 

Similar to peak Niall mcginn, capable of moments of real genuine quality but found their level in Scotland because they can’t produce it regularly. 

It may have just been every time he played against The Caley to be fair.

In the one game he played for The Caley as a trialist back in 2007, he did fuck all before going off injured.

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I feel like whether or not someone rated Barry Ferguson is a real acid test for me in terms of whether to take their opinions seriously or not. Once you start all the backpass or crab patter I start to zone you out a bit. He'd have made it to a much higher level if he was playing now, in an era where metronomic midfielders like him are more appreciated.

That sounds fair to me. From memory it was more that he didn't have the pace or running power or whatever you want to call it to be an elite level midfielder.

46 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Nah. You just had some wild takes.

Ferguson/ Turnbull/ Doig ?? 

All decent players at this level. But spoken about in the media as if they're the next big thing.  From what I've seen of each of them I don't see it.  All young enough to kick on, but very much overhyped at this stage.

All about opinions, and I get that they're all popular players at their clubs so folk will get protective over them.

oh, blast from the past but John Fleck. It was really weird (Scottish Wayne Rooney puff pieces coming out in the press in exchange for DELICIOUS LAMB) but any time I saw him for Rangers he looked nowhere near ready for first team football.

Hasn't had an Islam Feruz-tier debacle of a career since then at least, but I never got why he was so hyped up.

For a more controversial shout here as Fleck never really made it at Rangers, but Stylian Petrov would be my pick. Good player but the media made him out to be world class, and he never really looked like a stand out for Celtic on the odd occasion I saw them on the telly. Fondest memory is Beyemistic on here trolling over him years ago (pound for pound the best midfielder in the world etc.)

I genuinely cannot remember or name any Petrov goal, apart from a long range one which was when he went to Aston Villa I think and the keeper was off his line. Probably about to find out he banged in a 35-yarder against Thistle I don't know about but I will stand by the point.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

15 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

oh, blast from the past but John Fleck. It was really weird (Scottish Wayne Rooney puff pieces coming out in the press in exchange for DELICIOUS LAMB) but any time I saw him for Rangers he looked nowhere near ready for first team football.

Hasn't had an Islam Feruz-tier debacle of a career since then at least, but I never got why he was so hyped up.

For a more controversial shout here as Fleck never really made it at Rangers, but Stylian Petrov would be my pick. Good player but the media made him out to be world class, and he never really looked like a stand out for Celtic on the odd occasion I saw them on the telly. Fondest memory is Beyemistic on here trolling over him years ago (pound for pound the best midfielder in the world etc.)

I genuinely cannot remember or name any Petrov goal, apart from a long range one which was when he went to Aston Villa I think and the keeper was off his line. Probably about to find out he banged in a 35-yarder against Thistle I don't know about but I will stand by the point.

I have a cringe reflex to players being described as "the scottish...." since Darren Mackie got called the Scottish Michael Owen. I love Mackie but that was misplaced hype. 

I don't know how controversial it is but I never got the hype around Barasic, Good player don't get me wrong but seems suspect defensively. RCC (before he became the best player in the world) kept beating him at ibrox last season and I always feel like you'll get some change out of him. Going forward he's good though.

Jason Cummings as well, don't see him as anything more than a good Scottish championship striker.

37 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Petrov used to look like Maradona against us.  A top class player imo.

From recent times, definitely Scott McKenna who I have never seen have a single good game.   Getting the fee Aberdeen did seems like it should be a criminal offence.

I was never entirely sure what to make of Gary Mackay-Steven. I quite liked him at Aberdeen - when he was playing well, he was really good to watch, even if occasionally lacking end product. I can remember that he was outstanding in the Europa League games against Burnley, for example; equally, he was capable of being utterly anonymous for 90 minutes against poorer domestic opposition. He had a great opportunity at the weekend there against us to make an impression against a fragile and makeshift defence, but you could have been forgiven for forgetting that he was on the pitch until he was substituted. He was, maybe still is, something of a showreel player, I think.

It is interesting to see what opposition fans think about Scott McKenna, as they seem to almost universally not rate him. I thought, by and large, that he was excellent for Aberdeen - sure, the odd mistake you would expect a younger defender to make and occasional dips in form, but generally very good at the defensive fundamentals and more athletic that he was often given credit for. He maybe started off being a bit overrated when he first broke through, as many young players are when they first arrive on the scene, but I thought he was underrated and unfairly maligned (including by some in our own support) by the time he eventually left for England.

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

I've got a vague recollection of him nearly joining a team in Italy, Sampdoria maybe?

Possibly McStay in a different boat to others as for the peak of his career, the wages he'd have got elsewhere, while likely larger, would not have been multiples to what he was on.

While I get the desire for folk to maybe stay at their club they support, there is an element of what if for some of these guys, which makes judging hype about them difficult. For example, I think guys like James Forrest for example would struggle in England and so has been wise to stay in Scotland but McGregor has made the same choice, but would fo well. 

Udinese, i was surprised Ferguson never went for him when he moved to Manchester, especially with McStay's introverted family man character, as it was the opposite of the out of control drinking culture at the club when he arrived,  { i also agree with the Forest/McGregor  scenario}

54 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Stiliyan Petrov ?  Equally as bonkers as Paul McStay and Barry Ferguson appearing in this thread.

I was never entirely sure what to make of Gary Mackay-Steven. I quite liked him at Aberdeen - when he was playing well, he was really good to watch, even if occasionally lacking end product. I can remember that he was outstanding in the Europa League games against Burnley, for example; equally, he was capable of being utterly anonymous for 90 minutes against poorer domestic opposition. He had a great opportunity at the weekend there against us to make an impression against a fragile and makeshift defence, but you could have been forgiven for forgetting that he was on the pitch until he was substituted. He was, maybe still is, something of a showreel player, I think.
It is interesting to see what opposition fans think about Scott McKenna, as they seem to almost universally not rate him. I thought, by and large, that he was excellent for Aberdeen - sure, the odd mistake you would expect a younger defender to make and occasional dips in form, but generally very good at the defensive fundamentals and more athletic that he was often given credit for. He maybe started off being a bit overrated when he first broke through, as many young players are when they first arrive on the scene, but I thought he was underrated and unfairly maligned (including by some in our own support) by the time he eventually left for England.

McKenna’s a funny one. Clearly rated by those within the game and he wouldn’t be sitting on 20+ Scotland caps and subject to several seven figure bids by the age of 24 if he was sh*te. The fact that he looks like Grant Hanley has done him no favours.