Players you never quite got the hype around

7 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Meh, hating Mullen is his gimmick. He's a useful player, not a great goalscorer but good at being a pest and is the player you want to bring on if you're holding a lead. Some people don't like that in a player though.

I dont hate him. He is just shite. 2 games against Kilmarnock dosnt change this. The Scottish Cup game against a junior outfit was my favourite. We were promised a goalscorer and we got " someone you bring on when holding a lead" nonsense. 

Zander Clark is a perfect example of form in a player. 

Decent when he broke through but from around July 2019 to March 2021, he was a calamity and very lucky to keep his place in the Saints team. Erratic and little more effective than a traffic cone. 

But since March he has been very good, reaching a pinnacle at Tannadice last Saturday where he was unbeatable. Big saves in big games, exactly what you want from your goalkeeper. 

I think the key for me will be how he reacts if he does have a bad game. 

In regards the topic, Kevin Nisbet's best game against Saints is still one of his early starts for Partick Thistle. Hasn't had a kick against us in a Hibernian shirt. 

I think the debate about Ferguson and McStay can be pretty much the same. At their peaks, they were classed (probably rightly) as the best players or one of the best in Scotland, but equally they were over hyped. If they were as good as was made out to be, they would have played at a top European team. Ferguson did OK in England, but was in no way a standout. The same can be made about many players that play for one if those two glasgow teams. You read the papers smd x or y player is attracting interest from Arsenal/Man U/Milan etc and 9/10 they end up at Brentford/Bournmouth etc.

Aside from all of that, Scott Allan is the one I currently try dont get the hype about. Perception is he is a very talented but unluckily player, but to me, can be great one game and then mince for 4/5. 

As much as I disliked him, Barry Ferguson absolutely strolled the SPL for the best part of a decade, plus put in a number of decent performances for the national team before acting like a wee p***k alongside McGregor.

There's plenty of OF players who fit the bill, he's not one of them imo.

Also, I'm not sure if 'overhyped' really applies to the other teams. Players either move on to better things, or become cult heroes.

I used to think Paul McStay and Barry Ferguson (at first) were hugely overrated and did nothing but pass sideways.

When i was younger i'd rate midfielders by mazy dribbles or 30 yard screamers, maybe the odd defence splitting pass.

As i got older i did start to appreciate the value of a sideways pass, or more specifically being available to take the ball and keep possession and changed my opinion on Barry as a player. Maybe i was wrong about McStay too. 

I also used to think they were both wankers and haven't had any cause to revise this opinion. 

18 minutes ago, Radford said:

In regards the topic, Kevin Nisbet's best game against Saints is still one of his early starts for Partick Thistle. Hasn't had a kick against us in a Hibernian shirt. 

I nearly put him in my suggestions. I did think Hibs were silly not to take the alleged money being offered in January. There won’t be that sort of money offered now and I doubt will again.

Another who I debated is Patterson but tbh he’s hardly played a run of games for me to form an opinion. As an attacking threat he’s certainly up there but I do have serious doubts over his defending even against some pretty mediocre players. I think it’s just perhaps unfortunate that he is seen to be too good to go on loan now but I think he would benefit greatly from going to a team who often sees less of the ball. 

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

Don’t you dare 

Probably the most controversial pick of the Rangers ones. He was dependable but I do think overhyped. Tav is a far better player but a lot of fans wouldn't actually agree to that!

Barry Ferguson was brilliant. Really noticed his class in games he didn't play for Scotland. Away games against teams in a 20 odd degree heat and we're knackered from chasing the ball around because he wasn't there controlling things. Stunted his career staying at Rangers for too long IMO. Probably should have went to Serie A or the Bundesliga.

Lennon was probably under appreciated too but I think both guys attitude contributed to that.

Probably Scott Allan for me. John Souttar was another although he looks like he's packed on a bit of muscle and has a bit more dig about him this season. Always been very good on the ball but I've seen him get bullied against us several times.

For Aberdeen, a controversial one but I'll go with Adam Rooney. Scored a heap of goals but if he wasn't scoring he was contributing nothing. We looked a better team with Goodwillie playing up top with Hayes and McGinn but he didn't get anywhere near the same amount of goals.

9 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Probably the most controversial pick of the Rangers ones. He was dependable but I do think overhyped. Tav is a far better player but a lot of fans wouldn't actually agree to that!

Aye, I get what you are saying. I feel slightly similar regarding Novo. Absolutely love the wee fella but he was a very limited footballer.

Just now, AJF said:

Aye, I get what you are saying. I feel slightly similar regarding Novo. Absolutely love the wee fella but he was a very limited footballer.

Novo was clutch though that's the difference. So many important goals.

3 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Novo was clutch though that's the difference. So many important goals.

Aye, maybe it’s not so much not getting the hype about him - just surprising he managed to do so well for us.

28 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Aiden McGeady

Vladimir Weiss

Would agree McGeady I always felt for all his skill he lacked the basic vision most of the time to pick out a proper pass. Would beat 3 folk with ease then struggle to pick out what seemed to be a simple enough pass. His assist/goals records was still decent though despite this.

I don’t think anybody really rated Weiss that much though other than early staunch Twitterati. 

Edited by gannonball