Players you never quite got the hype around

I'm sure there's been plenty of players you've heard other team's fans rave on about but you've always thought they were average at best. For me right now, it's Zander Clark, to me he's just an average Premiership keeper. I'd hardly have him above Liam Kelly and even then whenever I've seen him, he's been a bit meh with a few mistakes to boot. We humped three past him the other week as well. 

Honourable mentions: Christopher Jullien, Jamie McGrath and Joe Lewis.

Edited by ATLIS

3 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I'm sure there's been plenty of players you've heard other team's fans rave on about but you've always thought they were average at best. For me right now, it's Zander Clark, to me he's just an average Premiership keeper. I'd hardly have him above Liam Kelly and even then whenever I've seen him, he's been a bit meh with a few mistakes to boot. We humped three past him the other week as well. 

This is Joe Lewis’ sixth season in Scotland for four of them he was arguably the best goalkeeper in the country. What is your definition of hype?

Barry Ferguson, the master of the sideways pass, penalties (plenty practice to be fair) and generally being a torn faced snarling wee fucking ned.
Horrible odious little p***k and not even the best player to fall out of his mum's fanny. 
Pretty sure he based his sideways pass career on Paul McStay.

4 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Barry Ferguson, the master of the sideways pass, penalties (plenty practice to be fair) and generally being a torn faced snarling wee fucking ned.

Horrible odious little p***k and not even the best player to fall out of his mum's fanny. 

I ended up with a grudging respect for him when he played for Scotland, I felt the ball was safe in his possession, not a flare player though.

15 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Obviously not taking Kelly being dropped by Clarke too well and also an advocate of the Peter Grant school of selection criteria. Nobody should ever be an advocate of the Peter Grant school of anything.

I ended up with a grudging respect for him when he played for Scotland, I felt the ball was safe in his possession, not a flare player though.

The difference in what Gilmour brings to the Scottish setup versus Ferguson/McStay is chalk and cheese.
McGinn is also ahead of those two in producing anything positive.

19 minutes ago, ropy said:

I would agree with Joe Lewis, appears to be a bit of a donkey, we may not win on Saturday but I am confident of one goal.

no ones been hyping him up for the past 2 years. When he first joined he was easily one of the best keepers in the league and certainly the best keeper we had since Peter Kjaer in 2003 and i include Danny Ward in that.

It's clearly something Motherwell fans didn't see too often cos Joe Lewis seems to gift us a goal 2 or 3 times a season, Joe Lewis always was a good goalie but to ay he was the best in the league at any point is stuff of fantasy.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Who..  this guy??

F6DD015F-790A-4EAD-B143-01D9E1BA4773.jpeg.f438779dc33821293b492eca8f801e6c.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Danny Mullen. St.Mirren fans came onto a thread saying this player was really good and would be good in the championship. Reality is he just runs about and does very little else. 

🤣

I respect your persistence on this point.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

54 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Danny Mullen. St.Mirren fans came onto a thread saying this player was really good and would be good in the championship. Reality is he just runs about and does very little else. 

To be fair, he was the same with us the entire time he was breaking into the team. He picked up his shite diving from Iain Russell. 

1 hour ago, Charles Stiles said:

Obviously not taking Kelly being dropped by Clarke too well and also an advocate of the Peter Grant school of selection criteria. Nobody should ever be an advocate of the Peter Grant school of anything.

I'm not too bothered about Kelly being dropped, but generally Kelly has performed better against Livi than Clark has

7 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

To be fair, he was the same with us the entire time he was breaking into the team. He picked up his shite diving from Iain Russell. 

Meh, hating Mullen is his gimmick. He's a useful player, not a great goalscorer but good at being a pest and is the player you want to bring on if you're holding a lead. Some people don't like that in a player though.

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Meh, hating Mullen is his gimmick. He's a useful player, not a great goalscorer but good at being a pest and is the player you want to bring on if you're holding a lead. Some people don't like that in a player though.

Honestly before he started with his diving pish he was generally well liked, even after it looked like he was off to Partick and came back to sign on again. One of the most frustrating things is seeing him get into a position you know he can score from and his collapsible knees kick into play, only for the ref to wave play on.