Ayr v. Inverness. The formality before 3 points head to the highlands

Well, the two goals we conceded were horrible. Chalmers lost at the first, and the second just needed either Fjortoft or McAdams to be more dominant and take control.

Really surprising and welcome point against a team we historically struggle against. Actually feels like a bit of a win but that's due to how low our expectations are at the moment. 

McAdams kept us in the game, no doubt about it, but its the first time I genuinely feel we got a performance out the majority of the team.

That was Murdoch back to his very best. Mark McKenzie surprised me. Afolabi was ahead of Tomi today imo. 

Fjortoft celebrating his last ditch tackle was a joy to see and Baird even looked comfortable.

Think we were very lucky not to concede a penalty. Though Nick McAllister had given away a stonewaller. DkB Steven McLean obviously wanted us to get some sort of result. 

Just need to nurse this squad to January and hope we can freshen up with some new faces. Top of the mini bottom league. The killies addicted to our thread will say we have no ambition.  But I had us down before sacking Hopkin 

29 minutes ago, diege said:

Well, the two goals we conceded were horrible. Chalmers lost at the first, and the second just needed either Fjortoft or McAdams to be more dominant and take control.

Really surprising and welcome point against a team we historically struggle against. Actually feels like a bit of a win but that's due to how low our expectations are at the moment. 

McAdams kept us in the game, no doubt about it, but its the first time I genuinely feel we got a performance out the majority of the team.

That was Murdoch back to his very best. Mark McKenzie surprised me. Afolabi was ahead of Tomi today imo. 

Fjortoft celebrating his last ditch tackle was a joy to see and Baird even looked comfortable.

Think we were very lucky not to concede a penalty. Though Nick McAllister had given away a stonewaller. DkB Steven McLean obviously wanted us to get some sort of result. 

Just need to nurse this squad to January and hope we can freshen up with some new faces. Top of the mini bottom league. The killies addicted to our thread will say we have no ambition.  But I had us down before sacking Hopkin 

Loved that from Fjortoft too! Let’s hope it’s in the highlights...

He is one of those players I really want to do well! 

Adeloye has been rotten for weeks, hasn’t scored in months but I wouldn’t drop him. Neither Afolabi nor McKenzie are out and out forwards, Adeloye is the only one that can lead the line, you need players to support him to find space in the box. 
Maxwell was dreadful today, McKenzie was ok in spells as was Afolabi although he had more impact in the game.

need the same again against Thistle, keep the ball and put pressure on them, if we defend deep they will take 3+ off us again 

As an aside, looking at Fjortofts career - last season was really his first proper season as a professional - given he is 27 that is pretty mental. He does seem to have a rawness about him, you do wonder if that could still be ironed out to some extent given his lack of experience. 

1 hour ago, diege said:

This is pretty much my view. We limp to January, scraping as many points between now and then as we can.

However, Duffy and the club need to have our January business in the works now. I want our business done as quickly as possible. A central midfielder has to be the priority. 

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

As an aside, looking at Fjortofts career - last season was really his first proper season as a professional - given he is 27 that is pretty mental. He does seem to have a rawness about him, you do wonder if that could still be ironed out to some extent given his lack of experience. 

He seems a nice guy but I'm not sure he's up to it. He spends most of the game fouling the opposition forwards, he constantly has his arms round them and is shirt pulling or going for kamikaze tackles (like v Killie). He's just too raw for me, unless he calms down a bit he's not worth the risk. 

This is pretty much my view. We limp to January, scraping as many points between now and then as we can.
However, Duffy and the club need to have our January business in the works now. I want our business done as quickly as possible. A central midfielder has to be the priority. 

I’d add that although a central midfielder is the priority that we also need another striker and a wide player. As good as Afolabi was in the second half today I’d still punt him back to Celtic and get someone else in.

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

He seems a nice guy but I'm not sure he's up to it. He spends most of the game fouling the opposition forwards, he constantly has his arms round them and is shirt pulling or going for kamikaze tackles (like v Killie). He's just too raw for me, unless he calms down a bit he's not worth the risk. 

The first part is basically just every defender v striker battle at this level, but I do agree with the rest. There may be a decent amount of development still in there though, given his lack of experience. Possibly the kind of guy who could be okay as a back up, or as an option if under pressure in the late stages of games as he defends set pieces and crosses very well. 

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

The first part is basically just every defender v striker battle at this level, but I do agree with the rest. There may be a decent amount of development still in there though, given his lack of experience. Possibly the kind of guy who could be okay as a back up, or as an option if under pressure in the late stages of games as he defends set pieces and crosses very well. 

Aye, we'll see how he does over the rest of the season. The killie tackle is still very fresh for me. I rank our central defenders as follows:

1. Muirhead

2. Baird

3. Fjortoft 

McGinty

He cannot be allowed near the team - I got shivers when I saw he was on the bench.

Edit - No exaggeration but even if there was an injury at centre back and we had to make a sub I'd rather bring on Albinson than McGinty.

Edited by Trogdor

8 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Aye, we'll see how he does over the rest of the season. The killie tackle is still very fresh for me. I rank our central defenders as follows:

1. Muirhead

2. Baird

3. Fjortoft 

McGinty

He cannot be allowed near the team - I got shivers when I saw he was on the bench.

Edit - No exaggeration but even if there was an injury at centre back and we had to make a sub I'd rather bring on Albinson than McGinty.

Yeah, I agree - and Baird has been much improved. 

The Kilmarnock game was actually a bit of a shame, as both Fjortoft and Baird defended the bombardment of crosses excellently. Just let down by that head loss. 

Edited by No_Problemo

Are we likely to see anyone on a permanent contract offloaded in January? Salkeld and McGinty are the prime candidates although it means we’d need to be in the market for a centre back and given we already need like 3 players, adding a fourth into that might give us too much to do.

McAdams is an excellent shot stopper, thought him and Albinson might have been rotated but happy if he's got the position now.

He’s definitely up there with the best in the league. I’d probably only have MacDonald at Raith as a better option between the sticks.

Ridgers, for all the praise he gets, was pretty crap today.

1 hour ago, diege said:

Not addicted, just curious, and your level of ambition is relative. We, your more illustrious neighbours, would like nothing more than continuing our rivalries in the top league. You were handcuffed to an idiot from the start of the season and due to that your current level of ambition is realistic, but have made positive changes. Apart from perhaps ICT, Raith and ourselves there is little between the rest and there is no reason why, with a good run of results, you cannot challenge for one of the play off positions.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’s definitely up there with the best in the league. I’d probably only have MacDonald at Raith as a better option between the sticks.

Ridgers, for all the praise he gets, was pretty crap today.

Keeps it up and it'll be tough to hang onto him even though he's on a two year deal. Having a bit of stability in that area is one less headache to deal with. Would be looking to get Aero signed up again in January too pronto.

Not addicted, just curious, and your level of ambition is relative. We, your more illustrious neighbours, would like nothing more than continuing our rivalries in the top league. You were handcuffed to an idiot from the start of the season and due to that your current level of ambition is realistic, but have made positive changes. Apart from perhaps ICT, Raith and ourselves there is little between the rest and there is no reason why, with a good run of results, you cannot challenge for one of the play off positions.

Aye there is. Partick are miles ahead of us and Arbroath are also a good team at this level.

I feel as though the league has already split into two with us now 8 points behind Partick. All we can is beat the shite below us and see what happens when we play the teams above us. I’ve pretty much written this season off and I’m hoping the club make a better hand of things over the summer.

Keeps it up and it'll be tough to hang onto him even though he's on a two year deal. Having a bit of stability in that area is one less headache to deal with. Would be looking to get Aero signed up again in January too pronto.

O’Connor and Reading as well. Baird and Fjortoft are very quickly working their way into the category of “they might be useful next season” as well although I wouldn’t be throwing contracts their way just yet.