Ayr v. Inverness. The formality before 3 points head to the highlands

27 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Fjortoft and McGinty have made Baird look competent. 

This is definitely a contributory factor but Baird has also been better this season. I say that as someone who believes he was costing us a goal every 2 games last season. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Debayos challenge was worse imo. Maxwell had his back to goal with nowhere to go as Gibson was pressuring him. Fjortoft dived in because it was all a bit hectic and I don’t think he really knew what was going on. It was a horrendous tackle but I was more annoyed McAllister didn’t just wrestle the Killie player to the ground and take a booking.

Aye, the QoS one was a worse penalty especially with the context of there being little or no danger but not sure the challenge was worse. I was raging at Fjortoft and I still am now. He certainly wasn't the only one culpable but his challenge was verging on moronic. If it was the end of the season right now I'd be releasing Fjortoft. Cue someone to tell me he is on a two year deal. 🤣

Aye, the QoS one was a worse penalty especially with the context of there being little or no danger but not sure the challenge was worse. I was raging at Fjortoft and I still am now. He certainly wasn't the only one culpable but his challenge was verging on moronic. If it was the end of the season right now I'd be releasing Fjortoft. Cue someone to tell me he is on a two year deal. 🤣

It’s a one year deal but I think I remember it being said we have an option to extend his and McGinty for another year.

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye the one where he clattered Duku had the ICT fans up in arms but it was an absolutely fine tackle.

If it's the same one I am thinking of I suspect we were up in arms because Duku had a bit of a head start on Fjortoft and a good chance to take the ball away from him to create space for a shot but instead he did nothing and allowed Fortoft to catch up and tackle him. I feel sorry for Jamieson as Duku has not shown anywhere near enough to be getting on as a sub ahead of Jamieson.

First half we were pretty good and probably should have been a couple up before half time but in the second half we seemed to pretty much stop trying. Gardyne vanished from the game, Welsh and Allardice, who had bench pressed Chalmers and Murdoch into the ground in the first half, couldn't seem to get anything going in the centre whilst Walsh and Doran were almost non existent. I did feel we were pretty secure defensively for most of it but I have no idea what happened for the Ayr second as Duffy and Walsh seemed completely lost and Ridgers seemed to go down to stop the shot incredibly slowly.

The drop off in the second half was just bizarre. Dodds was very critical of the players but I didn't see him doing much to influence things yesterday to try and shake off the malaise. Too many similarities to the game against Raith the other week where we probably did enough to win but also wouldn't have deserved the three points had we got them. Disappointing result after a promising start.

ETA: Just seen the goals. I think the defending for each gets progressively worse :(

Edited by RiG

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I'll be in the minority here but I actually think we've defended pretty well for the most part this season, given that we've no midfield, have very little possession and are constantly under pressure at the back.

I also hate to say it, but Moffat is another that should probably be booted as he doesn't seem to be of any use in our current set up and isn't getting near the team. He's not getting any younger so maybe a coaching role or something would be far better and free up a wage for someone else who's going to make an impact ??

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I'll be in the minority here but I actually think we've defended pretty well for the most part this season, given that we've no midfield, have very little possession and are constantly under pressure at the back.

I also hate to say it, but Moffat is another that should probably be booted as he doesn't seem to be of any use in our current set up and isn't getting near the team. He's not getting any younger so maybe a coaching role or something would be far better and free up a wage for someone else who's going to make an impact ??

I imagine you'll be very much in the minority. I find that a bit of a wild take tbh. I think our defending this season is worst than last season. I take your point about the midfield but it doesn't excuse individual errors from defenders. McGinty has about 5 of those so far (3 against Thistle); Fjortoft must have 2 or 3 as well (1 against Killie and 1 against Inverness up there). Baird gave away 2 penalties but both weren't even penalties so he gets pass marks. That's just from memory there are probably more. I find it very frustrating that we seem to back away from the ball when we don't have it. You should be attacking the ball and closing down space. I would say we are good at defending high balls and crosses.

I fear you could be right about Moffat but Duffy clearly doesn't fancy him. He's barely touched a ball. I thought he may have got introduced on Saturday.

As an aside, the substitution on Saturday was bizarre - O'Connor for Adeloye and playing O'Connor as a 10? It clearly didn't work. Adeloye should have stayed on with O'Connor wide left. If Duffy wanted to play a 10 it should have been Moffat. 

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

I imagine you'll be very much in the minority. I find that a bit of a wild take tbh. I think our defending this season is worst than last season. I take your point about the midfield but it doesn't excuse individual errors from defenders. McGinty has about 5 of those so far (3 against Thistle); Fjortoft must have 2 or 3 as well (1 against Killie and 1 against Inverness up there). Baird gave away 2 penalties but both weren't even penalties so he gets pass marks. That's just from memory there are probably more. I find it very frustrating that we seem to back away from the ball when we don't have it. You should be attacking the ball and closing down space. I would say we are good at defending high balls and crosses.

I fear you could be right about Moffat but Duffy clearly doesn't fancy him. He's barely touched a ball. I thought he may have got introduced on Saturday.

As an aside, the substitution on Saturday was bizarre - O'Connor for Adeloye and playing O'Connor as a 10? It clearly didn't work. Adeloye should have stayed on with O'Connor wide left. If Duffy wanted to play a 10 it should have been Moffat. 

I'm just trying to be pragmatic about our current level and that of our peers. I suppose it's an expectations thing and given that guys that cost £60 million+ in the English premiership can't defend I suppose it shouldn't really be surprising that guys at our level are full of individual mistakes, otherwise they wouldn't be at our level in the first place.

O'Connor would be the first name on my team sheet as he changes the whole dynamic of our play, he opens up space by running at people and creates space for others which  just makes us look far better and much more dangerous. I agree though, it has to be O'Connor along with Adeloye and Bradley or Afolabi as that way we most certainly carry a threat.