Tea breaks

We don’t have set breaks. As long as you get your hours in you can generally take breaks for whatever reason whenever you want or need to.

Within reason of course. If you just fucked off for a few hours without explanation you’d be asked a few questions.

We are pretty relaxed on breaks in general. Everyone takes an hour lunch roughly between 12 - 2 and breaks when they like. It’s always fine to have a longer lunch if they want and essentially, as long as the work gets done, the team can come/go when they like. 

Get 15mins in the morning, take about 40. 1 hour lunch, take about an hour and a half which includes a half hour safety snooze. 15mins in the afternoon which again is approx 40mins. Supposed to be a 12 hour shift but depending on where I am, it's usually more like 10 1/2.

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

We are pretty relaxed on breaks in general. Everyone takes an hour lunch roughly between 12 - 2 and breaks when they like. It’s always fine to have a longer lunch if they want and essentially, as long as the work gets done, the team can come/go when they like. 

This is the correct answer.

13 hours ago, eez-eh said:

We don’t have set breaks. As long as you get your hours in you can generally take breaks for whatever reason whenever you want or need to.

Within reason of course. If you just fucked off for a few hours without explanation you’d be asked a few questions.

That's basically the same as me.  WFH makes it even more so.  Half 8 til half 4 with a half 3 finish on a Friday.  45 minute lunch and just get on with your job the rest of the time with the boss' ethos 'as long as the work gets done'.

16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I get on with my colleagues, but this sounds hellish. If I'm having a break then I want to do my own thing, not sit around with other people feeling forced to make inane conversation.

I didn't make this clear but they sat in silence.  It was extremely rare there was any kind of conversation during their tea break.

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

Officially 9-5 with an hour’s lunch (unpaid) and WFH 3 days a week. No official tea breaks but no one bats an eyelid if you take them in the office and no one checks if they are taken when at home. 

I made a proposal to create a Welfare Officer role. The WO would visit those working from home and kick their door in to establish they are actually working. I'm still waiting to hear back.

We don’t have any set break times or whatever, just go whenever you like, whether that’s when we are working in the office or at home. I’ll maybe drop my line manager a quick message if I’m going to be away for longer than 15 minutes, but it’s never a bother. The work always gets done, and I think our managers realise this and just let us crack on ourselves. I do work in a pretty small team, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I have a friend who works in a larger team, and it’s as close to a call centre as you could possibly have really. Think it’s mental how different two teams are in the same organisation in terms of management.

On 02/11/2021 at 23:30, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

I worked on a construction site in New Zealand where you had to start the morning with a 15 minute break. It's not like you could just turn up 15 minutes late, you had  to be there for the start of the break or you'd be docked pay. Then we'd get a 15 minute morning break, an unpaid half hour lunch break and another 15 minute afternoon break 45 mins before we finished. It was bizarre.

You were also able to turn up 15 mins early in the morning if you wanted, scan in and get paid to sit about doing nothing for the first half hour, although this practice was stopped just before I left. 

The work was conducting earthquake repairs on a still-functioning hospital, meaning no equipment could be left on the staircases while we were on our breaks. As a great deal of the work required scaffolds to be set up, an unbelievable amount of time was spent putting up and taking down scaffolds before and after breaks. it was also a 10 minute walk to the site compound so that had to be factored in too.

Was some skive.

This sounds remarkably like Australia.

On 02/11/2021 at 21:56, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
On 02/11/2021 at 20:48, Don Diego De la Vega said:
We work 6 hours on 6 hours off,  Smoko is taken without fail,  30 minutes from 10 - 1030 on the morning shift or 3 -30 in the afternoon shift 

Do you work in the Cell Block H laundry?

Worse, a ship