Aberdeen vs Motherwell - 6th November

2 hours ago, Mitch said:

Not seen it mentioned, but something doesn’t seem right with Carroll at the moment. Possibly in a bit of a huff due to his lack of playing time, but he went straight down the tunnel at FT with the rest of the players and staff over at the ‘Well fans. Could be reading too much into it.

Tremendous 3 points and badly needed!

Would be disappointing if true re Carroll. That said I can almost understand his frustration if he sees McGinleys previous few weeks performances and still does not get a game. 

GA does not seem to suffer fools gladly and nor should he. Carroll response at FT will not have gone unnoticed either and may explain his lack of game time going forward.

Great 3 points as they were unexpected. The Hearts game will be interesting. Clearly the best team outside the Old Firm. Another tough test. I also think they will bring a 2-3000 fans thru given the International break and the form they are in. 

1 hour ago, ropy said:

I read it differently, I thought because Motherwell put in a few heavy challenges early on that the ref thought it was a green light to blow for every subsequent challenge we made.

Fair enough, we’ll agree to differ.

As much as Maguire was lucky to stay on the park, what he did get booked for (standing in front of the ball to stop a short free kick) happens all the time in football and rarely gets a booking. I actually think the ref booked him for that because with hindsight he felt he should’ve booked him for an earlier challenge.

I also think our undeniably robust approach got Roberts and McGinley undeservedly in the book.

I’m just glad it wasn’t Bobby Madden or wee Wullie who would no doubt have loved to be the centre of attention producing red. 

1 minute ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

As much as Maguire was lucky to stay on the park, what he did get booked for (standing in front of the ball to stop a short free kick) happens all the time in football and rarely gets a booking. I actually think the ref booked him for that because with hindsight he felt he should’ve booked him for an earlier challenge.

I also think our undeniably robust approach got Roberts and McGinley undeservedly in the book.

I’m just glad it wasn’t Bobby Madden or wee Wullie who would no doubt have loved to be the centre of attention producing red. 

Roberts booking was a joke, can’t remember being particularly upset about the rest.  Maguire blocked the free kick as a reaction to the softness of the award.

Guest Bob Mahelp
10 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Every referee will have a different threshold in regards with what they'll accept with obviously cynical team fouling, and inevitably some players will be carded when their own individual transgression is maybe 'soft'. 

You can't commend your side on their robust/cynical (delete as appropriate) approach on one hand, and then criticise the referee for carding players on the other. 

I thought Don Robertson did OK on Saturday. Other referee's may well have sent Maguire off, but then again he didn't take the Beaton approach of doing nothing when Motherwell adopted the same approach at Fir Park. 

I think that you have to accept that if these are the tactics your team choose to adopt, then there's possibility that there may be consequences for that. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

You can't commend your side on their robust/cynical (delete as appropriate) approach on one hand, and then criticise the referee for carding players on the other. 

I don't recall commending our robust approach, all I said was that it was undeniable, that's just a conclusion you've jumped to.

I'm not arsed about McGinley or Roberts getting booked, I think when you go in as strongly as we did, you have to accept that a routine foul may be treated more harshly that if it was a standalone incident in a game with very few fouls.

I'd actually say I side more on gratitude with the referee that he never sent Maguire off, rather than criticising him for booking Roberts or McGinley. I was actually fearing Van Veen might go too far with the cupping of the ear etc celebrating his second goal when he was on a booking too.

Guest Bob Mahelp
12 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I don't recall commending our robust approach, all I said was that it was undeniable, that's just a conclusion you've jumped to.

I'm not arsed about McGinley or Roberts getting booked, I think when you go in as strongly as we did, you have to accept that a routine foul may be treated more harshly that if it was a standalone incident in a game with very few fouls.

I'd actually say I side more on gratitude with the referee that he never sent Maguire off, rather than criticising him for booking Roberts or McGinley. I was actually fearing Van Veen might go too far with the cupping of the ear etc celebrating his second goal when he was on a booking too.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to suggest that you'd said that. I just chose your post, I know others have said slightly different things. 

I think we agree on the referee's approach. I think he yellow carded when necessary, and it was fairly obvious that he was starting lose his patience but he managed to not step over the line where he gave a soft red card. 

I actually think Don Robertson is one of Scotland's better referees. I can't really think of any game where we've suffered because of him. 

18 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Campbell, in particular, seemed a broken loon by the time he came off, after some fine performances in the preceding weeks at LB/LWB.

After the two good results in the previous week, I was reading a lot of superlatives regrading the performances of Dean Campbell and Dylan McGeouch, and rightly so as they performed admirably during the Sevco and Hearts matches.

However, we've been here before. They're fine in the bigger matches where the onus is not on us to go chasing the game against very defensive minded opposition.

These 'bread and butter' (eyebleeding) games at Pittodrie against the likes of Mothewell, St Johnstone, Ross County, St Mirrent et al are a different story though.

It seems a real case of 'horses for courses' and why Glass, where possible, needs to be cute with his team selection. Obviously with injuries at the moment we're not in the position for Glass to play his favoured starting XI but I really don't think we have one.

I think, for a team at our current standard, we really need to play the team that best suits the opposition and the likely tactics that we'll face.