The Robert Jones Derby, Dumbarton vs Clyde

Two positives for me. We stopped the rot insofar as we didn't get beat again. And we showed that our spirit isn't broken insofar as we came back to draw despite losing one so late.

Having said that, with the slightly patchwork eleven they had out today, Dumbarton weren't up to much. Our defenders weren't put under much pressure in possession and their individual battles were simple ones to wage. Dumbarton's forwards weren't very dynamic and tended to receive it with their backs to goal or in busy areas so our defenders only had to get to the ball first over very short distances and make sure they won their headers.

We kept the midfield quite crowded and seemed to have some flexibility in our shape. That was, that Livingston could leave the midfield to support the left flank, seeing Docherty tuck in to the left of Page and Cuddihy was licensed to play further up on the other side at times too, so that there wasn't always a straightforwardly flat back four. It seemed that way to me anyway. Add the conditions into the equation and you can see why we kept the score down. Yes, we weren't up against as much as we have been in previous matches. But both in personnel and system terms, given the opposition, we played something like our strongest hand.

I can only echo what other have written about Cunningham. I'm not sure what his role was today and he certainly wasn't very involved. Tade showed more aggression, strength and intelligence in the last few minutes of the match than any of our foward players had before then. More an indictment on them than praise of him but god bless him for doing what he managed to with the fitness constraints he clearly has.

I thought Dumbarton had the better of the second half. Particularly after they made their subs. They broke free from midfield, having won the battle in there more often than they had in the first half and stretched the pitch well a few times. Enough to merit the goal they got. They'll be a tougher prospect with McGeever and Hopkirk back in their side I expect.

Individually I think Docherty, Splaine and Gomis showed up fairly well for us today. I thought they showed a toughness, if nothing else, that the game deserved and managed to string the odd (and I mean the odd...!) good passage of play together, as well as register shots on goal, get balls in and all the rest of it.

Seeing it back, I wonder whether a more competent 'keeper would dive out and collect that. Many goalies simply command there area, in particular the 6 yard box.

At the time I was pinning things 100% on the defence and I still think that is shocking defensively. I'm trying not to blame it on Ramsbottom again as I have criticised him in recent week and don't want to make this a witch hunt or whatever.

It’s not often I see things so different to the majority on here but today I actually think we we’re pretty dominant despite the stats not backing this up. First half I felt was very even - Clyde with slightly more possession and forcing Ramsbottom into some saves from long range. We certainly dealt better with wind than against Peterhead albeit it wasn’t as bad.

Second half though I thought we were really dominant. Paton missed 2 *very* good chances, Boyle fired in a cross that just needed a touch and it was in but in general I thought we were territorially dominant. The goal conceded was an incredibly frustrating one because I said to my mates before it even happened we better not sit off now and give them a chance to come forward. The wind had picked up again and if we maintained our high press on Clyde I highly doubt they’d have got up the field again in the match but no we went into our shell, sat deep and allowed the attack. Analysing the actual defending for the goal is a whole other matter.

Similar feeling to our 2-2 draw at home to Ayr a few years ago. Not quite so bad as I wasn’t as emotionally invested in this games that one which really was crucial at the time.

14 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

It’s not often I see things so different to the majority on here but today I actually think we we’re pretty dominant despite the stats not backing this up. First half I felt was very even - Clyde with slightly more possession and forcing Ramsbottom into some saves from long range. We certainly dealt better with wind than against Peterhead albeit it wasn’t as bad.

Second half though I thought we were really dominant. Paton missed 2 *very* good chances, Boyle fired in a cross that just needed a touch and it was in but in general I thought we were territorially dominant. The goal conceded was an incredibly frustrating one because I said to my mates before it even happened we better not sit off now and give them a chance to come forward. The wind had picked up again and if we maintained our high press on Clyde I highly doubt they’d have got up the field again in the match but no we went into our shell, sat deep and allowed the attack. Analysing the actual defending for the goal is a whole other matter.

Similar feeling to our 2-2 draw at home to Ayr a few years ago. Not quite so bad as I wasn’t as emotionally invested in this games that one which really was crucial at the time.

Yeah, it’s bollocks that a draw was a fair result. We deserved to win and chucked it away.

I'm very against this whole Dumbarton fully deserved the win

We dominated the first half, they dominated the second half. It was a shite game in shite conditions and a draw was fair. I'm putting this "Dumbarton dominated" narrative down to them having the better second half with the wind behind them so it's more recent in memory 

Edited by Mantis Toboggan

8 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

I'm very against this whole Dumbarton fully deserved the win

We dominated the first half, they dominated the second half. It was a shite game in shite conditions and a draw was fair. I'm putting this "Dumbarton dominated" narrative down to them having the better second half with the wind behind them so it's more recent in memory 

I genuinely thought at half time we'd had the better of the first half and all we needed/lacked was a goal to show for it. Clyde had lots of the ball and a couple of shots but didn't really do much with it, in my opinion.

That being said, there wasn't a huge amount in it and for our poor finishing and dreadful defending we got exactly what we deserved.