5 Favourite Seasons

Your 5 favourite seasons supporting your team (stolen from the Championship Forum).

1969/70 - First Scottish Cup win for 23 years after 4 final defeats

1979/80 - first League title for 25 years, absolutely wonderful

1982/83 - No need for an explanation

1989/90 - Another cup double

2013/14 - A trophy at long last

2000/01 - Won the First Division and a trip to Hampden for Scottish Cup semi final vs Hibs

2000/02 - 3rd in the Premier League, taking points off the big boys on the regs

2003/04 - Bitter sweet.  David Fernandez returned to the club, won the League Cup then went into administration

2017/18 - Livi causing upsets all over the place and getting promoted to the Premiership

2018/19 - Defying the odds, blocking out the haters, holding our own in the Premiership with a tiny budget, plastic pitch and no fans

1993/94 - My Motherwell heroes as a kid.  Coyne, Arnott, Lambert, Davies, Martin, Krivokapic.  Big Sieb!  A phenomenal side, were in the hunt for the title at Easter time.  Football seemed magical and so simple at that age watching that side.

2004/05 - The season I became an adult - went to about 85%/90% of the games that season.  We weren't the greatest side under Butcher, but just happy memories for me.  The League Cup Semi-Final win against Hearts will live with me forever. What a bounce!

2007/08 - It feels weird putting this in as a favourite considering what happened in the December of this season with Phil, but for those first few months it was the closest i've seen to our team of the mid 90s.  The front three of Clarkson, Porter & McCormack ripped teams to shreds at times.  McGhee even got the likes of McGarry & Paterson the fittest they've ever been. 

2012/13 - The weakest the top flight has probably ever been, but McCall just sent out his side to attack.  Higdon, Ojamaa, Humphrey, Murphy or McFadden.  Nicky Law pulling the strings from midfield.  Sensational.  We should have won something, but McCall shat it in every cup competition he was in.

2017/18 - Robinson's Thunderdome team.  We battered everything that moved, we got to two cup finals (sadly, we were up against Brendan's Celtic team in full swing) and Louis Moult was just being Louis Moult. 

Order could change tomorrow but these five would always be in the mix.

1996/97: Crusing to the First Division title, dishing out hammerings and team filled with goalscorers. Finished with a goal difference of +51 come May. Boghead, Bayview, Cappielow before they ruined the Cowshed. At that age where football mattered so much and travelling around the country with your pals.

1998/99: Arguably the only Saints team that could match the famous Ormond team. Sandy Clark - and it emerged there were many faults - took the reigns off Sturrock’s team. Beat Celtic three times, put four past Hibs and Aberdeen, five past Motherwell, three past Hearts and Rangers. Finished third on final day to qualify for Europe. Reached the League Cup final and last four of Scottish Cup.

2006/07: This ended in absolute heartache but what a ride up to that point. I'm sure at one point in February, we'd beaten more SPL sides (United, Rangers, Falkirk, Motherwell) than some teams in that league had managed. Came up just short in both cups but a great team to watch. Some might argue about the talisman but for me it was Jason Scotland, who scored 26 goals I think. Our whole team probably won't reach that total this year.

2013/14: The rarity of an entertaining Saints team in the top flight and a successful one. Could score goals (May got 27), actually dish out some doings and then beating Aberdeen at Ibrox and United to win the Scottish Cup.

1990/91: Second season at McDiarmid and first in Premier Division. For a spell in late Autumn, Saints were the second best team in the country, in a league that contained the last great Aberdeen team and McLean's United. There was one special spell where we beat the Dons 5-0, won at Tynecastle and Tannadice and took points off both halves of the Old Firm. A swashbuckling front three of Grant, Moore and Maskrey. So close to a Scottish Cup final as well. McDiarmid has never looked so good since.

I'm submitting six!

99/00 - "The Bubble didnae burst" - Clear winner, a totally unfancied team that was continually predicted to be about to blow up and finish below much fancied/well financed :rolleyes: Dunfermline. We won the division quite easily in the end. Favourite games the two away victories in Kircaldy, the run of nail biting wins in April 2000 (esp Airdrie (a) & Falkirk (h)) and the final game away in Sneck where we lost 5-0 and didn't care.

86/87 - Won the Scottish cup with a team a deal poorer than our early 80s ones pretty much out of the blue - a tale of two Ian Fergusons (sic).

2017/18 - After the great escape of the previous season (a contender in itself maybe?) we painted our wagons and eventually won at a canter after beating Dundee Utd. between Xmas & New Year (thanx for that pen Paul McMullan) - loved the angst from Morton fans over whether to give us a guard of honour at GHR and their total absence from that game. 

2005/06 - After a coupla last minute signings on August D-Day (Charlie Adam & John Sutton) it was a fairly trouble free season with the Challenge Cup thrown in - highlight probably the 4 wins against Clyde & Graham Roberts' escalating breakdown, although again winning against a more fancied Fakes team was pleasing.

2012/13 - League Cup win against a depleted Hearts team which we conspired to make more difficult than it had to be. How a squad containing McGinn, McLean, Thompson, Teale, McGowan, Carey, Goodwin, Dummett & Newton & others - plenty of decent top flight players & a few outstanding ones conspired to finish 11th is still a mystery to me.

76/77 - Fergies Furies - first season attending games with my mates & a great team to follow - nuff said!

Edited by btb

57 minutes ago, Desp said:

1993/94 - My Motherwell heroes as a kid.  Coyne, Arnott, Lambert, Davies, Martin, Krivokapic.  Big Sieb!  A phenomenal side, were in the hunt for the title at Easter time.  Football seemed magical and so simple at that age watching that side.

2004/05 - The season I became an adult - went to about 85%/90% of the games that season.  We weren't the greatest side under Butcher, but just happy memories for me.  The League Cup Semi-Final win against Hearts will live with me forever. What a bounce!

2007/08 - It feels weird putting this in as a favourite considering what happened in the December of this season with Phil, but for those first few months it was the closest i've seen to our team of the mid 90s.  The front three of Clarkson, Porter & McCormack ripped teams to shreds at times.  McGhee even got the likes of McGarry & Paterson the fittest they've ever been. 

2012/13 - The weakest the top flight has probably ever been, but McCall just sent out his side to attack.  Higdon, Ojamaa, Humphrey, Murphy or McFadden.  Nicky Law pulling the strings from midfield.  Sensational.  We should have won something, but McCall shat it in every cup competition he was in.

2017/18 - Robinson's Thunderdome team.  We battered everything that moved, we got to two cup finals (sadly, we were up against Brendan's Celtic team in full swing) and Louis Moult was just being Louis Moult. 

Class managerial decisions from us - don't even want to remember the non-entities we replaced them with!

39 minutes ago, Radford said:

Order could change tomorrow but these five would always be in the mix.

1996/97: Crusing to the First Division title, dishing out hammerings and team filled with goalscorers. Finished with a goal difference of +51 come May. Boghead, Bayview, Cappielow before they ruined the Cowshed. At that age where football mattered so much and travelling around the country with your pals.

1998/99: Arguably the only Saints team that could match the famous Ormond team. Sandy Clark - and it emerged there were many faults - took the reigns off Sturrock’s team. Beat Celtic three times, put four past Hibs and Aberdeen, five past Motherwell, three past Hearts and Rangers. Finished third on final day to qualify for Europe. Reached the League Cup final and last four of Scottish Cup.

2006/07: This ended in absolute heartache but what a ride up to that point. I'm sure at one point in February, we'd beaten more SPL sides (United, Rangers, Falkirk, Motherwell) than some teams in that league had managed. Came up just short in both cups but a great team to watch. Some might argue about the talisman but for me it was Jason Scotland, who scored 26 goals I think. Our whole team probably won't reach that total this year.

2013/14: The rarity of an entertaining Saints team in the top flight and a successful one. Could score goals (May got 27), actually dish out some doings and then beating Aberdeen at Ibrox and United to win the Scottish Cup.

1990/91: Second season at McDiarmid and first in Premier Division. For a spell in late Autumn, Saints were the second best team in the country, in a league that contained the last great Aberdeen team and McLean's United. There was one special spell where we beat the Dons 5-0, won at Tynecastle and Tannadice and took points off both halves of the Old Firm. A swashbuckling front three of Grant, Moore and Maskrey. So close to a Scottish Cup final as well. McDiarmid has never looked so good since.

Shows the levels when you can leave out double winning seasons. Not many apart from the top 4 or 5  teams in the country can do that.

Hard to narrow it down to five.

1995-96 Back at partly renovated Celtic Park. Not much expected other than we at least compete. We finished 2nd in league but only lost once in league. Draws killed us that season. Lost 5 games all season, sadly lost at home in all competitions to Rangers and home and away to PSG. The season was brilliant despite not winning anything. Just one win over Rangers would've seen us Champions. 

1997-98. Season we stopped the 10 for Rangers. A very nervous season. We lost 4 put of the first 12 games If I remember correctly. Won the League cup against Dundee United 3-0 and despite nearly making a mess of it at Dunfermline the week previous, kept our nerve (just) to beat St Johnstone on the last day.

2000-01 first treble since 68-69. Phenomenal season under Martin O'Neill. 

2001-02 won the League again, but really enjoyed our European games that season the most. Qualified for Champions League group stage and done brilliantly to win our home games, unlucky to lose on penalties to Valencia in the UEFA cup.

02-03. Oddly this season is my all time favourite Celtic season. And we won f**k all and Rangers win a treble, and yet it was an amazing season. Getting to a European final helped despite losing. 

During 1994-95 to 06-07 I barely missed a game home or away and for me this period is my favourite watching Celtic. But these seasons stand out for me.

Add in 03-04 was also a super season where we won the double and got to the Quarter finals of the UEFA cup.

1976/77 First season ticket. I sat in the stand with my grandad and his brother and cousins. Pan drops were always available and I discovered that I really liked Bovril.

Henry Hall was my favourite player andthere were a few good young players starting to break through.

1979/80 The first silverware and we won it across the road at Dens. It was great to go to school the next day and just know that my team were brilliant compared to anybody else's. 

1982/83 The legendary title winning season. We were so exciting to watch. Teams simply could not cope with our movement and work rate. The number of players used in that campaign was small. Almost the same eleven every week.

1986/87 I got to see my team beat Barcelona home and away. I travelled to Germany to see them beat Borussia Monchengladbach and was proudly at the final to see the trophy presented to Gothenburg.  It was a painful end, but what a great season.

1993/94 The Final Hurdle. The Double Treble. Brewster!!!!!!!!!

2000/02 - Finishing 3rd in the league and qualifying for Europe, I think we'll struggle to ever better/equal that position again

2003/04 - League Cup winners and at least progressing one round in Europe. Some of the best Livi players I've ever seen in the flesh.

2016/17 - Winning the league at an absolute canter whilst the other seaside League 1 diddies like Clyde and Airdrie were telling us we'll finish 5th at best.

2017/18 - One of the best underdog stories in Scottish football history. Second smallest budget in the league. 3-2 Dundee Utd playoff game my favourite Livi game of all time. 

2018/19 - That first season back up, just immense. Pumping Rangers, Dolly Menga's Scottish experience. Outrageous seethe from many about the plastic pitch. This was probably the epitome of 'Big Bad Livi' where we spent 90 minutes just hammering and bullying folk with Gallagher/Halkett/Lithgow at the back.

That 3 season run from 2016/17-2018/19 honestly is unbelievable. The run is still going but this genuinely could be the best ever time to be a Livi fan, and I'm fucking loving it. The fact we started the 2010s in the old Division 3 and ended it top 6 in the Premiership is utterly bonkers. 

5 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Shows the levels when you can leave out double winning seasons. Not many apart from the top 4 or 5  teams in the country can do that.

Its obviously the biggest domestic achievement of any club in the history of Scottish football.

Feel a bit detached from it, like we won the cup in 2014 but they won the double last year.

2002-2003 - a crazy tile race. Probably won’t see anything like it again.  Where the final day is basically a shoot out of who scored the most goals wins the title. 

2004-2005 - helicopter Sunday 

2007-2008 - UEFA cup run 

2009-2010 . was hard to pick one of the three title winning seasons from Walters second stint . The following season was far more dramatic and probably more thrilling when all said and done . But for enjoyment watching us cruise to the title and the Tony Mowbray experience and banter maybe just pips it. 

2020-21 - played some brilliant stuff, Won the league at a canter  , Stopped 10 in a row , Celtic imploded in a way I thought was consigned to the history books of the previously mentioned Tony Mowbray days. Would do again.  Even being forced to watch it all unfold from the living room 

Edited by Forever_blueco

97/98  Our first trophy in 36 years, but the whole season, bar a disappointing league Cup defeat,was a joy.  Played fantastic football, Cameron, Fulton and McCann were dynamic and deadly from midfield and genuinely thought we were going to win the league after the draw at Celtic Park.  

85/86.

I know, I know.  But watching a team who had been a fixture in the first division in the early 80s go 30 games unbeaten and win at Ibrox, Parkhead, Pittodrie, Tannadice and Easter Road with Robbo and Colquhoun at their peak was incredible.  The end was obviously brutal, but the journey was amazing.

05/06.

Much more mixed feelings on this season, it felt like a missed opportunity and there's a what might have been aspect but the first 3 months was unbelievable.  The cup run, bar the final, was also great with the semi-final being an all time classic.

11/12

Entirely for the cup run.  Almost everything else was garbage, though there were good wins here and there.  The off field was a disaster as well but you'll never top the end.

87/88

It tailed off and there was a very Hearts in the 80s disastrous finish in the Scottish Cup semi, but for most of this season we played some fantastic attacking football and were scoring for fun.  A run of dull draws ended what had been a good tilt at the title, but finishing above Souness's Rangers was a great achievement

14 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Your 5 favourite seasons supporting your team (stolen from the Championship Forum).

1969/70 - First Scottish Cup win for 23 years after 4 final defeats

1979/80 - first League title for 25 years, absolutely wonderful

1982/83 - No need for an explanation

1989/90 - Another cup double

2013/14 - A trophy at long last

Quite similar, old timer.

1969/70 - first Cup Final, and first ever visit to Glasgow, beating all-conquering Celtic 3-1.

1970/71 - attended every league and cup match apart from Kilmarnock away when I was at the Leuchars Air Show. Took Celtic to the second last match of the season before knowing we wouldn’t win the league.

1979/80 - horrendous League Cup Final Replay hammering by Dundee United at rain soaked Dens obliterated from the memory by the first League title in my lifetime. The afternoon in the sunshine at Easter Road will never, ever be forgotten.

1982/83 - Aberdeen winning a major European trophy was simply ridiculous. To do it by beating, and from the start of the second half onwards, playing Real Madrid off the park, was stunning.

2013/14 - to have put my two kids through utter hell for almost 20 years by forcing them to stay to the end of total tankings by Celtic, Rangers, Dundee United, and even Livingston, was more than made up for by being with them at Parkred when Adam Rooney smashed his penalty home. Total joy.

1961/62 - Champions

1962/63 - Seeing Alan Gilzean score 7 in 10-2 win v Queen of the South, reaching the European Cup semi final.

1967/68 - League Cup runner-up and Inter Cities Fairs Cup semi finalist.

1973/74 - League Cup winners, Scottish Cup semi final with earlier round Sunday wins away at Pittodrie and Ibrox plus 3-0 QF replay home win v Hibs before just under 31,000. 5th in the league for the 4th season in a row.

1978/79 - Promotion as well as winning the division.

I’d possibly change some of the above with 1963/64 Alan Gilzean scoring over 30 goals plus the winner for Scotland v England at Hampden which sort of made up for losing the Scottish Cup Final after extra time. Seeing Charlie for part of 1964/65 and 1965/66 seasons. The games against 1FC Köin and AC Milan in the UEFA Cup 1971/72.

Moving to Australia in October 1980 means I’m unable to properly consider any season since which is probably not a bad thing.

1961/62 - Champions
1962/63 - Seeing Alan Gilzean score 7 in 10-2 win v Queen of the South, reaching the European Cup semi final.
1967/68 - League Cup runner-up and Inter Cities Fairs Cup semi finalist.
1973/74 - League Cup winners, Scottish Cup semi final with earlier round Sunday wins away at Pittodrie and Ibrox plus 3-0 QF replay home win v Hibs before just under 31,000. 5th in the league for the 4th season in a row.
1978/79 - Promotion as well as winning the division.
I’d possibly change some of the above with 1963/64 Alan Gilzean scoring over 30 goals plus the winner for Scotland v England at Hampden which sort of made up for losing the Scottish Cup Final after extra time. Seeing Charlie for part of 1964/65 and 1965/66 seasons. The games against 1FC Köin and AC Milan in the UEFA Cup 1971/72.
Moving to Australia in October 1980 means I’m unable to properly consider any season since which is probably not a bad thing.
You haven't missed much.