Jump to content

Kilmarnock vs Thistle 6th November 2021


Recommended Posts

I’m reasonably chipper ahead of this game, although I’ve been reasonably chipper as a Killie fan before and it’s came back to bite me. We seem to be close to finding our best settled XI and formation. No reason why we can’t continue the 3 points roadshow in this game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was impressed with Thistle V Hamilton, a really good performance. 

However, Killie are slowly and surely getting there in terms of player selection and formation. Also, we have Shaw and Hendry. 

Should be a good game and high hopes that Killie can get a positive result and push on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont get the 'hate Killie' thing with them. I know there's history going back to the 70s and 80s but surely by now they would have found someone else to hate. Are we really their closest geographical relevant rivals, apart from the obvious arsecheeks?

I'm personally a bit meh about them although there's always a good crowd and great atmosphere wherever we play them, home or away.

Looking forward to a decent game of footy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

I dont get the 'hate Killie' thing with them. I know there's history going back to the 70s and 80s but surely by now they would have found someone else to hate. Are we really their closest geographical relevant rivals, apart from the obvious arsecheeks?

I'm personally a bit meh about them although there's always a good crowd and great atmosphere wherever we play them, home or away.

Looking forward to a decent game of footy.

It’s because they’re hipsters. Even their hatred has to be boutique. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

I dont get the 'hate Killie' thing with them. I know there's history going back to the 70s and 80s but surely by now they would have found someone else to hate. Are we really their closest geographical relevant rivals, apart from the obvious arsecheeks?

I'm personally a bit meh about them although there's always a good crowd and great atmosphere wherever we play them, home or away.

Looking forward to a decent game of footy.

You probably don’t get it because it’s not actually a thing.

Nobody I know hates Killie. Maybe some guys in their 50s do, but I certainly haven’t spoken to any of these people if they do exist.

 

Anyway, eagerly awaiting our fourth consecutive 0-0 draw. Which surely must be some sort of record.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

You probably don’t get it because it’s not actually a thing.

Nobody I know hates Killie. Maybe some guys in their 50s do, but I certainly haven’t spoken to any of these people if they do exist.

 

Anyway, eagerly awaiting our fourth consecutive 0-0 draw. Which surely must be some sort of record.

But it is tho'.

My first posting on the championship forum in the summer saying it would be good to renew old rivalries with A*r, Dunfermline and you lot, led to a number of posters coming on saying how much they hate us.

That was just hurtful............😘

I'm sure they'll be on here before the weekend, sad b*****ds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t hate Killie, and, as above, I don’t know anyone who does. There’s the one song that has Killie in it that we sing, but I assume that’s just a remnant from the 80’s or whenever Killie-Thistle was a thing. 

We were shite against Killie at home, and we’ve been quite shite since the Hamilton game. Killie, meanwhile, are going to win the division.

I think we’ll lose this game fairly comfortably. 2-0 or 3-1 or something like that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thistle - Killie hatred was big in the 70s and 80s as said. Battles on and off the park. But yes it’s not really there now. The sub-plot for Thistle is  the disadvantage of not having a local rivalry to speak of - most clubs gain from having one, and it’s obviously box-office.. I still see our rivals to hate as the Old Firm, but obviously for many years now they just ignore us mostly. It was never Clyde or Queens Park, though we had a thing back in the day with Clydebank and The Airdrie Section B , till they literally died on us. Right now we just need someone to hate us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Stan Butler Says said:

Thistle - Killie hatred was big in the 70s and 80s as said. Battles on and off the park. But yes it’s not really there now. The sub-plot for Thistle is  the disadvantage of not having a local rivalry to speak of - most clubs gain from having one, and it’s obviously box-office.. I still see our rivals to hate as the Old Firm, but obviously for many years now they just ignore us mostly. It was never Clyde or Queens Park, though we had a thing back in the day with Clydebank and The Airdrie Section B , till they literally died on us. Right now we just need someone to hate us.

Can I just shock you? I like Partick Thistle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Thistle as well got a few mates that follow them, good lads.

I remember our bus getting battered with all sorts back in the late 80s, then we stopped at traffic lights and a couple of neds pulled open the emergency exit and tried to drag me out by my feet, crazy times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was a genuine rivalry between the clubs dating back to the promotion race in 1974/75 which then lasted through the wilderness years for both clubs in the 80's up to another promotion battle in 1991/92. I remember Thistle Fans chanting for years of hatred for the legendary "Killie Fat Boy" but as already mentioned Thistle don't have real rivals - the Old Firm don't care about us and we have never bothered much about Clyde...maybe if Queens Park continue to progress we could develop a rivalry to be Glasgow's most sophisticated football supporters.

Despite Kilmarnock being a considerably more successful club over recent years, Thistle still have a clear lead in head-to-head matches. There have been some strange sequences of results between the sides. Thistle went 16 games undefeated at Rugby Park between 1972 and 1984 including five successive 1-0 wins.

Thistle have not beaten Kilmarnock at Firhill in 12 games since 2002 - this will include several games under Alan Archibald when we typically completely outplayed the opposition before conceding very late penalties or own goals.

I don't mind Killie but don't really care for Tommy Wright's tedious but effective brand of football.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stan Butler Says said:

Thistle - Killie hatred was big in the 70s and 80s as said. Battles on and off the park. But yes it’s not really there now. The sub-plot for Thistle is  the disadvantage of not having a local rivalry to speak of - most clubs gain from having one, and it’s obviously box-office.. I still see our rivals to hate as the Old Firm, but obviously for many years now they just ignore us mostly. It was never Clyde or Queens Park, though we had a thing back in the day with Clydebank and The Airdrie Section B , till they literally died on us. Right now we just need someone to hate us.

Sorry Stan, but it's not us. As you said we have our less fortunate county cousins to laugh at/hate.

Over the past few years we even had to invent the Meh Derby with St Johnstone which was absolutely vicious on P&B

The 70s and 80s were mental tho'.

If it helps, we'll hate you on Saturday. 🤕

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

I dont get the 'hate Killie' thing with them. I know there's history going back to the 70s and 80s but surely by now they would have found someone else to hate. Are we really their closest geographical relevant rivals, apart from the obvious arsecheeks?

I'm personally a bit meh about them although there's always a good crowd and great atmosphere wherever we play them, home or away.

Looking forward to a decent game of footy.

No hatred at all and personally find the Killie lads alright. Fits nicely into a song though. 

Meeting up with a Killie supporting lad on the day, looking forward to it without much expectation, been ages since I was last at Killie away, I've also never seen us lose there 👀

Would just be nice to see us score a goal again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my 60s and Killie rivalry was only a thing in the mid 70s as Thistle Bonnet says. Wouldn't have called it hatred though. The tractor song was good.

Took my boy to his first ever game at Rugby Park so it's got good memories for me.

Killie might run away with it now so get them back in the fray please Jags. If we don't score here we're getting sweet fa from this game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As always, @The Thistle Archive comes up trumps with some of these streaks mentioned. Always a bit wary of "team X hasn't won vs team Y in 43 years" when they've only played 5 times in that span but:

http://thethistlearchive.wikidot.com/versus-kilmarnock

Thistle went 19 games unbeaten vs Killie in the 70s and 16 unbeaten at RP between 72-84. 

Killie then went 10 unbeaten at RP from 1994-2013 including 7 wins in a row, and are currently unbeaten at Firhill in 12 games dating back to 2002, with Thistle failing to score in the last 5. 

Edited by Fuctifano
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

As always, @The Thistle Archive comes up trumps with some of these streaks mentioned. Always a bit wary of "team X hasn't won vs team Y in 43 years" when they've only played 5 times in that span but:

http://thethistlearchive.wikidot.com/versus-kilmarnock

Thistle went 19 games unbeaten vs Killie in the 70s and 16 unbeaten at RP between 72-84. 

Killie then went 10 unbeaten at RP from 1994-2013 including 7 wins in a row, and are currently unbeaten at Firhill in 12 games dating back to 2002, with Thistle failing to score in the last 5. 

Rugby Park 1 0 Jags. Donald Park usually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...