Next Pars manager poll

Next manager of Dunfermline Athletic Football Club  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Billy Davies was once a great manager who performed brilliantly with Forest, Derby, Preston etc.

Sadly, he has twisted into a bit of a lunatic who talks about himself in the third person and believes there’s a conspiracy against him to keep him out of football.

From The Athletic piece about him in Nov 2019:

“I will not jump back in to a St Mirren, a Dundee United, a Hearts, with all due respect to these clubs,” Davies said in that 2017 interview. “I know I am a very good football manager. I will not jump back into football and take a job that is beneath me. A smear campaign has driven me away. For whatever reason, they have decided to take away from me something that I love. They have put my career on pause. But I’ll be back soon. I don’t think there is any doubt that one day I will be back at the top of football.”

8 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Billy Davies was once a great manager who performed brilliantly with Forest, Derby, Preston etc.

Sadly, he has twisted into a bit of a lunatic who talks about himself in the third person and believes there’s a conspiracy against him to keep him out of football.

He applied for the Dundee job after we punted Alex Rae. He wanted to form a dream team with Dundee fan Craig Brown and be co-manager. This was before Brown got the Motherwell job.

We then sat down to have talks and he apparently wanted a wage that we couldn't get near. He was still apparently interested though despite us telling him we couldn't get anywhere near his demands. He was meant to be absolutely seething when we went with fan choice Jocky Scott and it led to Dave MacKinnon's resignation./ 

9 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Apparently him talking about himself in third person is a joke.

21 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

“I will not jump back in to an Alloa, a Montrose, an Airdrie, with all due respect to these clubs, I know I am a very good football manager. I will not jump back into football and take a job that is beneath me. A smear campaign has driven me away. For whatever reason, they have decided to take away from me something that I love. They have put my career on pause. But I’ll be back soon. I don’t think there is any doubt that one day I will be back at the top of football.”

-Peter Grant

FTFY

Petrie or Robertson for me, but both of them are attached in different ways. We might have to think of a different option if those guys don't come to fruition.

The more that I review the different potential candidates I think Yogi looks a decent option. He's had some blunders and the Rovers gig is similar to our situation when he failed badly.

Still think winning the Scottish cup and getting ICT 3rd in the Premiership is pretty impressive. Got Falkirk promoted from this division, saved Ross County recently when they were in a position like ours in his most recent gig. 

He's certainly done a lot  more than Peter Grant or Stevie Crawford.

Third choice for me.

53 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I don't get the appeal with Yogi at all, at best he's a stop gap option. The longer he's at a club the worse he makes the squad. 

I think he begins to look more appealing if the competition is Kenny Miller, Brian Rice etc.

That being said I’m not sure how relevant getting Falkirk promoted over 15 years ago is.

Edited by Cardle is Magic

2 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

Petrie or Robertson for me, but both of them are attached in different ways. We might have to think of a different option if those guys don't come to fruition.

The more that I review the different potential candidates I think Yogi looks a decent option. He's had some blunders and the Rovers gig is similar to our situation when he failed badly.

Still think winning the Scottish cup and getting ICT 3rd in the Premiership is pretty impressive. Got Falkirk promoted from this division, saved Ross County recently when they were in a position like ours in his most recent gig. 

He's certainly done a lot  more than Peter Grant or Stevie Crawford.

Third choice for me.

This is pretty much what I thought of Yogi before he arrived at Starks. The man will save us from relegation and win us the Scottish Cup.

If John Robertson wanted to be a manager he'd still be one in Inverness. He's clearly not going to be your next manager.

Your league position probably rules out Petrie and Hughes for differing reasons. Petrie won't risk his reputation by, finally, taking the plunge to full time for a club who look destined for a relegation battle and have that stain on his CV. You're more likely to get him after relegation.

Hughes won't join a club in your situation after the Raith debacle. Having a second relegation to League One on his CV would be a career ender considering he still sees himself as a top flight manager. I'd imagine Levein would think similarly.

You'll end up with either a rookie, or someone completely desperate, or probably both.

As been mentioned I don't think Yogi would like a second relegation from the Championship on his C.V if he can't turn yous around, which I think he would tbh , you've have a decent squad,
He might though bide his time and wait and see what develops at Falkirk over next month or so,, I know Falkirk are league 1 but he has an obvious affection for Falkirk and would love the role of being our "savour" and getting us out that league

6 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

This is pretty much what I thought of Yogi before he arrived at Starks. The man will save us from relegation and win us the Scottish Cup.

Yeah everybody was pretty unanimous in their relief and delight when Yogi was appointed. We all thought he'd save us from going down no bother (after all we weren’t even in the relegation spots when he joined). I’d still be a bit worried about him getting the Pars job though, he’s got it in him to be a success given their squad is about 5 times better than that rovers team.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If John Robertson wanted to be a manager he'd still be one in Inverness. He's clearly not going to be your next manager.

Your league position probably rules out Petrie and Hughes for differing reasons. Petrie won't risk his reputation by, finally, taking the plunge to full time for a club who look destined for a relegation battle and have that stain on his CV. You're more likely to get him after relegation.

Hughes won't join a club in your situation after the Raith debacle. Having a second relegation to League One on his CV would be a career ender considering he still sees himself as a top flight manager. I'd imagine Levein would think similarly.

You'll end up with either a rookie, or someone completely desperate, or probably both.

Plus, if he gets sacked after 3 months like Grant, he won't have a bank manager job to walk back into.  

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Good points but I think Hughes would take it if Dunfermline waved a big enough contract his way, which they’re probably well capable of doing.