Queens v Raith

43 minutes ago, Wardy said:

There’s no argument. We have the best goalkeeper in the division. 

He is good and he's obviously well regarded at Queens.

I don't quite get the raving about him today though.  I didn't actually think he was called on to do that much of note.  He should have been, but wasn't really.

Not much to add to everyone else’s take. Well done to Queens today, unlucky not to take the three points. Much as I hate to say it, Willie Gibson still has a great turn and some trickery. Clancy was rotten. Thankfully it seemed to even itself out on the second half with some bizarre goal kick decisions going in our favour. 

Off the field, the farce of fans having to walk across the red zone and into the home end to get to the pie stand. What’s that about? Also the group of ten year olds at the end taunting the Rovers bus then scarpering when some folk pretended to run at them was hilarious. 

The chance to recover from that below par performance on the drive back from Dumfries has me reflecting that we’ve had two away games where we played incredibly poorly and didn’t lose either. Today and Dunfermline. Also pleasing to be a point closer to the top of the League.    Maybe this might be our year…

For once we were set up in a way that had players playing in their best positions (with the possible exception of Paton) and after 2 games where we sat back and basically let our opponents do what they wanted to we actually pressed Raith into mistakes and hemmed them in.

Then we scored.

After that, it was straight back to the old failing of sitting (too) deep and inviting pressure onto ourselves while we try to hang onto a one goal lead.  We are not good enough at defending to park the bus for half an hour and we discovered that after 15 minutes when Raith scored.  Then, we suddenly were back on the front foot and looked the more likely winners.

I'm not too critical regarding the majority of our missed chances as we at least created opportunities this afternoon.  Cameron and Paton should maybe have done better with their headers but to be fair Jamie Mac was virtually unbeatable today.

Lots of positives, Gibson was much more at it back at right back, Paton worked hard and cancelled out Tumulty for large parts of the game, Max was a revelation in central midfield, Brynn made one absolutely fantastic save and it was great to see McGrory back in the side doing the simple stuff so effectively.

The negatives?  Liddle - struggled to make a pass or control the ball - I'm not sure what he brings to the team if anything.  Hopefully Todd is restored next week.  Debayo - still rash and unconvincing.  The substitutions - as others have said, they were baffling.  Maybe AJ thought young Max would receive a standing ovation if he took him off early?  The instant negative tactics once we went in front - if it was working, why not carry on as we were doing?  Totally ridiculous to stop pressing and try to sit on a one goal lead with half an hour to play.

All in all, a decent result, but I'm left feeling flat.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The two headers were comfortable saves, especially the second one which was basically cushioned.  What was the other save again?

From our match updates.

88     Ball smacked into the Rovers box. Could go to anyone… it falls at Lang’s feet and spins towards his own goal… MacDonald for the gazillionth time today makes a crazy good save

15 minutes ago, embow said:

From our match updates.

88     Ball smacked into the Rovers box. Could go to anyone… it falls at Lang’s feet and spins towards his own goal… MacDonald for the gazillionth time today makes a crazy good save

Sorry, but that's just nonsense.  The ball did nearly squirm in, but it went right down the goalkeeper's throat when anywhere else was a goal.  He did well to hold it, but it wasn't an exceptional save at all, and it certainly hadn't been preceded by many others.

I'm really not having a go at him at all - I like him a lot.  I just didn't think he was especially good today, because he wasn't required to be.

2 minutes ago, pantene proV said:

I'd be disappointed if he let any in tbh

Yes, that's about the size of it.  He performed perfectly competently and wasn't at fault for our goal.

However, every save he did make, he should have made.  Obviously, he can't do more than that, but that doesn't make his performance remarkable.

I can't comment to be honest as I wasn't at the game and didn't have the stream to watch for a couple of reasons but reading the updates and other comments I just assumed that he'd had one of those inspirational afternoons. 

Edited by embow

Yeah, we didn’t get going at all today. Spencer/Tait as the base of midfield was necessity at Dunfermline and we looked open at times without really getting punished. Queens missed a sitter in the first half with a basic counter attack and scored their goal from the same move early in the second. Matthews just has to play away from home, we can probably get away with it at Starks but he’s needed in away games. No coincidence we got a grip of the game for a while when he came on.

Having said that, while we wouldn’t have deserved it Ethan Ross could’ve sent us in at half time ahead, I’ve no idea how Zanatta didn’t equalise shortly after we went behind, and Tom Lang’s best interception of the game came at 1-1 when Ross Matthews was about to blast the ball at goal from ten yards out.

Also don’t want to be too critical as I know from experience Dumfries can be a messy day out. But some of the support were on the verge of embarrassing themselves at 1-0 down, no need at all for booing mistakes or sarcastic cheers when Tait was subbed off. Aside from those 10 mins, the usual great support away from Starks.

11 minutes ago, embow said:

Not very often you hear John McG complaining about the officiating of games but he's having a pop at them in his post match interview. after the Ethon Varian booking today

Lang's booking was deserved, but neither Varian nor Cameron did anything to warrant their cards.  The number of throw-ins, corners and goal-kicks seemed to be given the wrong way today was pretty laughable too.  I've always had Clancy down as the type of clown who always seems to find ways of making himself the centre of attention and today did nothing to change my mind.

Not very often you hear John McG complaining about the officiating of games but he's having a pop at them in his post match interview. after the Ethon Varian booking today

Not sure why he's complaining about that. I thought he went in high. Would need to see it again but any contact with the face is taking a big chance. The new stand side linesman was the only one who showed consistent incompetence today. Though he did get one tight offside decision right and got absolute pelters for it. I suppose they can't do right for wrong.

Lang's booking was deserved, but neither Varian nor Cameron did anything to warrant their cards.  The number of throw-ins, corners and goal-kicks seemed to be given the wrong way today was pretty laughable too.  I've always had Clancy down as the type of clown who always seems to find ways of making himself the centre of attention and today did nothing to change my mind.

Tbf, Cameron was at the ref shortly before his booking and I didn't have any complaints when he was booked for dissent. Having said that, he was booked after the linesman and ref somehow awarded Raith a goal kick when it was clearly a corner so you could see his frustration I suppose.