Could you build a squad from this seasons other 10 and win the league.

Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I'd assume that for this thought experiment the 10 teams would also be able to combine all of their "off field influence" as well which would help balance things out

Does the thought experiment include the officials? That's a key element.

Do this the proper way - max two players from each, squad of 20 players.

In a 3-5-2

Gordon

H Clarke Edwards McCart
Ramsay Doig

Baningime Adam
McGrath

Watkins Watt

Subs/reserves
Kelly
Shaughnessy
Charles-Cooke
Fuchs
Omeonga
Wotherspoon
Boyle
Cummings

Manager: David Martindale

Reckon if you slot that team in the league it still finishes 4th behind the Hearts players that are left

18 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

When Aberdeen and United won the league, they had players who were better than what Celtic and Rangers had. 

Its also apples and large Hadron colliders comparison the two eras.   Budgets were much closer than they are now, if you had a good player he was basically a prisoner if you didn't want to sell him prior to Bosman and the OF were shopping in the same  market as everyone else, cause there were restrictions on movement between country.

And nearly every team in the league had at least a couple of players who could easily have played for Celtic or Rangers.

I'm also chuckling at the idea that the officials now are more of a problem than they were then

I agree this analysis but the missing part of the jig-saw is Europe.

Back in the 80s Ranger's income was close to the equivalent of every other Scottish club combined.  In those days Celtic were significantly less well off at little more than half Rangers income, but this still left every other club in the Scottish professional game's aggregate equal to Celtic's and half of Ranger's (source: The Scotsman, which ran a very detailed analysis of the finances of Scottish football, several articles over a period of a week).

One reason budgets were much closer than they are now is that although Rangers had massive financial muscle they chose not to flex it.  Yes, they still significantly outspent their rivals but not by enough to guarantee they'd win the league (the proof being that they didn't: in fact for several seasons they were the fourth best team in Scotland).

Why?  Ordinary business prudence.  You look at how much you'd need to spend to absolutely guarantee domestic success, and you compare the extra income that would generate.  You conclude that it makes sense to spend enough to give you a solid probability of winning the league but not to spend the much higher amounts you'd need to turn a probability into a certainty.  

That changed when the major source of potential income in the Scottish game became TV money routed through European competition.  The amounts involved became so huge that it was no longer good business practice  for the OF to restrict spending to, say, only double Aberdeen's budget: that left too much to chance. You had to maximise your chances of being in the top European competition every season.  The result was that the OF upped their playing budgets to the level that ensured that no other Scottish club was ever likely to win the league again.

On 01/11/2021 at 15:20, Tommy Carcetti said:

Who's coaching and picking this team of jobbers ?

Neilson ? Glass ? Ross ? 

Malky McKay ?  

Martindale has a good track record of getting the better of the Old Firm, I'd give it to him :D 

Think Nicky Devlin is getting overlooked a bit for RB, Holt at CDM as well possibly as he's been our best player this season. I'd imagine there would be some space for some younger loaned in wildcards like Hungbo and Odin Bailey as well. 

Depends on the tactics as well, I'd imagine the pace of Hungbo and Bailey at LW/RW swinging crosses into Ramirez would get you plenty of goals every season.

Edited by ATLIS

10 hours ago, Ric said:

Is there another Adam playing in this league? As I see lots of people putting him down in their midfield and I don't understand why, it's not the same Charlie Adam, it's someone else isn't it?

Wasn’t in my team but can understand why others have opted for him. His limitations are there to see, can lose the ball in possession a lot, and not mobile, but his quality is still class. His left foot will have been the difference if we stay up.