Could you build a squad from this seasons other 10 and win the league.

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Boyce would not stroll in to the Aberdeen team ahead of Ramirez.

Souttar, Baningime and Gordon were the only players that looked like they'd threaten our line up on Saturday.

And yet that was Hearts first defeat in 12 and only Aberdeen's 4th win 

But aside from the questionable wisdom of basing our squad selection for "Rest of the SPFL FC" on players' form over the last  few days...

Given that Aberdeen were playing two up front wouldn't it be Watkins place that Boyce would be competing for as opposed to Ramirez?

Tony Watt has to be in the squad because he's Tony Watt 

The Great thing about Charlie Adam playing for "Rest of the SPFL FC"  is that unlike at Dundee he'll be a squad player as opposed to be expected to carry the whole operation. We're not  necessarily looking for 38 90 minute games out of his 36 year old legs.

33 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

And yet that was Hearts first defeat in 12 and only Aberdeen's 4th win 

But aside from the questionable wisdom of basing our squad selection for "Rest of the SPFL FC" on players' form over the last  few days...

Given that Aberdeen were playing two up front wouldn't it be Watkins place that Boyce would be competing for as opposed to Ramirez?

Watkins is the player who makes Ramirez or Boyce look better.

40 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

So he does what Craig Curran did for Boyce- Boyce was far better with Curran next to him than anyone else we tried.

15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

This is the problem in that we only see our own clubs players on a regular basis so we're all ill informed even by normal P&B stantdards

Apparently Hibs have some decent strikers but the derby was a drab 0-0 so I've seen no direct evidence of this. Dundee Fans, on the other hand, are presumably now under the impression that Ross county are some kind of unstoppable goal machine.

I've a suspicion that "Second Striker" might actually be Boyce's ideal role as well but given that he's so far ahead of anyone else that we've got it doesn't make sense for him to do that at Hearts.

I reckon you could put a team together that would do relatively well but ultimately fall short.

Obviously, the biggest difference between the rest of the SPFL and Rangers & Celtic, is the budget and that allows Rangers & Celtic to fill their squad with quality relative to the SPFL. It means when players are out of form, injured or suspended they have the luxury of brining in an X million pound rated player.

If there was an SPFL squad then it would mitigate that issue somewhat as there wouldn't be as big a drop off in quality from the first 11 compared to the squad that you often see so you'd see a more consistent challenger. I think it would then come down to the head to heads vs Rangers & Celtic though, and that's where it would still fall short more often than not.

9 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

This is the problem in that we only see our own clubs players on a regular basis so we're all ill informed even by normal P&B stantdards

Apparently Hibs have some decent strikers but the derby was a drab 0-0 so I've seen no direct evidence of this. Dundee Fans, on the other hand, are presumably now under the impression that Ross county are some kind of unstoppable goal machine.

I've a suspicion that "Second Striker" might actually be Boyce's ideal role as well but given that he's so far ahead of anyone else that we've got it doesn't make sense for him to do that at Hearts.

I'm not disputing Boyce being better than Ramirez. "Walking in to the team" suggests he's a much better striker which I don't see. 

I say this as someone who would have absolutely had Boyce last season.

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

I reckon you could put a team together that would do relatively well but ultimately fall short.

Obviously, the biggest difference between the rest of the SPFL and Rangers & Celtic, is the budget and that allows Rangers & Celtic to fill their squad with quality relative to the SPFL. It means when players are out of form, injured or suspended they have the luxury of brining in an X million pound rated player.

If there was an SPFL squad then it would mitigate that issue somewhat as there wouldn't be as big a drop off in quality from the first 11 compared to the squad that you often see so you'd see a more consistent challenger. I think it would then come down to the head to heads vs Rangers & Celtic though, and that's where it would still fall short more often than not.

Loads of players have the ability to play for the old firm but lack the consistency to do it each week. I knew Jack would be a success at Rangers whereas Wright is where I'd expect him to be. Will struggle to make the match day squad next season.

I don't think it would be difficult to put together a side that could win the league, I'm of an age that has seen non-OF teams win it (and, hilariously, one failed Hearts near miss), the problem is not the players.

The problem is you are fighting a duopoly, and both of them benefit greatly from the media and the officials.

8 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm not disputing Boyce being better than Ramirez. "Walking in to the team" suggests he's a much better striker which I don't see. 

I say this as someone who would have absolutely had Boyce last season.

It's a 38 game season so we're going to need a few different options anyway

It's invariably the old firm's strength in depth that middleweight clubs fail to match when they mount an early challenge

55 minutes ago, Ric said:

I don't think it would be difficult to put together a side that could win the league, I'm of an age that has seen non-OF teams win it (and, hilariously, one failed Hearts near miss), the problem is not the players.

The problem is you are fighting a duopoly, and both of them benefit greatly from the media and the officials.

When Aberdeen and United won the league, they had players who were better than what Celtic and Rangers had. 

Its also apples and large Hadron colliders comparison the two eras.   Budgets were much closer than they are now, if you had a good player he was basically a prisoner if you didn't want to sell him prior to Bosman and the OF were shopping in the same  market as everyone else, cause there were restrictions on movement between country.

And nearly every team in the league had at least a couple of players who could easily have played for Celtic or Rangers.

I'm also chuckling at the idea that the officials now are more of a problem than they were then

So, Gordon, Ramsey, Souttar and Boyle are pretty unanimous stick ons. The rest are a case of player that I like/plays for my team is better than player who plays for a team I don't like.
It would take a bad year by both OF sides for a best of the rest squad to even get within 6 points of the title.
In fact, take away the 1st choice XI of both arse cheeks, would a Best of the Rest finish ahead of an OF reserve side ? (I'll assume Julien, Jack, Kent and Helander are 1st choices when fit)
McLaughlin / Barkas
Patterson / Ralston
Bassey / Taylor
Starfelt / Welsh / Balogun/ Simpson
Bacuna / Arfield / Lundstram / Bitton
Mccarthy / Soro
Johnson / Forrest / Wright / Barker
Roofe / Ajeti
A bit light at centre back tbf.

Several of these guys are first choice players - for example who is left-back for Celtic if Taylor isn't? Likewise at least one of Lundstram, Arfield or Wright will play most weeks for Rangers, and Roofe will usually start.

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Several of these guys are first choice players - for example who is left-back for Celtic if Taylor isn't? Likewise at least one of Lundstram, Arfield or Wright will play most weeks for Rangers, and Roofe will usually start.

Celtic prefer the Croatian boy at left back no ? Lundstram and Arfield don't start ahead ahead of Jack, Kamara, Davis and Aribo. Likewise, Hagi and Kent play if fit over Wright. Morelos starts instead of Roofe.

18 hours ago, Ric said:

I'd assume that for this thought experiment the 10 teams would also be able to combine all of their "off field influence" as well which would help balance things out