Are Killie starting to move up gears?

5 minutes ago, DuntoiRab said:

Arbroath maybe at their ceiling but Killie are nowhere near the floor yet, still a long way to fall. Depressing , ach, it is whit it is.

Nah you’re no exactly going to end up in League 1 or anything. Maybe not get up this year but within 2-3 surely.

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Nah you’re no exactly going to end up in League 1 or anything. Maybe not get up this year but within 2-3 surely.

I mean, they might. They obviously aren’t going down this year, but if they stay down this season then Wright will (presumably) go and they’re just one ‘Gary Caldwell’ style appointment away from being a laughing stock. 

You really have to go straight back up like Hearts and County did (outspending the division of course).  United were stuck here for 4 years until they signed Shankland, Dundee would still be here without Cummings and Adam.  Do Killie have the money to sign players of that quality in January?

5 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That’s what Falkirk though about dropping to League One.

5 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I mean, they might. They obviously aren’t going down this year, but if they stay down this season then Wright will (presumably) go and they’re just one ‘Gary Caldwell’ style appointment away from being a laughing stock. 

That’s the corrosive effect of not getting back immediately. There’s always at least one new team in the Premiership, and that team will always look at the Championship rosters to seek players with the ability to help them. Conversely, the players want that top level chance, and are often hesitant to sign for more than a year of so for a team that isn’t a “sure thing” if they feel they have what it takes to get the top level deal.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

You really have to go straight back up like Hearts and County did (outspending the division of course).  United were stuck here for 4 years until they signed Shankland, Dundee would still be here without Cummings and Adam.  Do Killie have the money to sign players of that quality in January?

The question may be more “do they dare spend it”. There is still a little of the stimulus payments floating about the Championship, and Killie didn’t get a handout, just an offer of loans. Yes, they likely have funds from their top level stay, but this is very much an all in bet. With no clear lead coming up to the halfway point, no real indication that the Killie team is that much stronger than anyone else, and the knowledge that it’s almost certain at least two of the four other top half teams will put money down to improve, is it a sure thing that Killie can take first?

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

We don't have the limitless funds they did.

If you didn't get up this season, but finished (say) third, what is the difference in funds available for the playing squad next season? I did a quick search and it seemed that the parachute payment was a decent sum and I presume you've already budgeted to spend it all this season?

28 minutes ago, rgreig said:

If you didn't get up this season, but finished (say) third, what is the difference in funds available for the playing squad next season? I did a quick search and it seemed that the parachute payment was a decent sum and I presume you've already budgeted to spend it all this season?

No idea to be honest. I'm sure we'd have to cut back a bit.