Are Killie starting to move up gears?

34 minutes ago, Ott said:

Sorry. They are efficient but absolutely howfing to watch. They remind one of Wimbledon without Vinnie Jones 

I wasn't comparing them to Barcelona in their pomp but when you consider that they're a part time team with probably one of the smaller budgets who's goal for the season was just to stay up I'd say that so far they've been brilliant, they play decent stuff at times but also know how to grind it out.

It's night and day compared with the big budget shambles at Killie.

As mentioned previously Raith have played the best football so far.

47 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

I wasn't comparing them to Barcelona in their pomp but when you consider that they're a part time team with probably one of the smaller budgets who's goal for the season was just to stay up I'd say that so far they've been brilliant, they play decent stuff at times but also know how to grind it out.

It's night and day compared with the big budget shambles at Killie.

As mentioned previously Raith have played the best football so far.

I have never really bought into the belief that because you are a part time player you are not as good as a full time player. There may be other reasons why a part time team isn’t expected to compete for the full season in a full time league.

34 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I have never really bought into the belief that because you are a part time player you are not as good as a full time player. There may be other reasons why a part time team isn’t expected to compete for the full season in a full time league.

It’s a complete fallacy. Arbroath have far better players than the likes of Hamilton and Ayr.

54 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Are we actually chanting dirty *********** at our own manager here or was it big Kirk?

Mmmm, I wonder.... considering the chant was Tommy, Tommy get to f**k just prior to it.....

29 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It’s a complete fallacy. Arbroath have far better players than the likes of Hamilton and Ayr.

I’d add “some” to that.

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

Part-time, these days, is a only slight impact on the quality of player. There is less training with the team, but often near similar workout rates, and this can be offset when players have spent more time together or when the system is less complex. The complexities and frills that a full-time squad can toss out don’t mean s**t in the heat of the match if the players aren’t motivated and capable, and a part-time teams can certainly match that these days. With the ability to attract the best part-time players, due to the playing level, Arbroath have done well to chose players who suit their style and plans.

That execution by Arbroath results in a team that offers an interesting option for teams to loan players to, as those teams can still have the lads train with them a couple of days a week, while getting playing time they wouldn’t get otherwise, example Nouble. The next interesting event will be seeing who replaces Nouble after the window, as Livi should be right chuft with how Arbroath have developed him for them, and it would seem likely they would want to offer a replacement for him, for the remainder of the year, as a thanks.

Arbroath part time? hmmm, they have four loan players from full time clubs who play for Arbroath weekly, no doubt they attend the two weekly Arbroath training sessions but would it be a surprise if they attended full time training at their own clubs facilities, Nouble does.

Edited by SandyCromarty

12 hours ago, TxRover said:

I’d add “some” to that.

Part-time, these days, is a only slight impact on the quality of player. There is less training with the team, but often near similar workout rates, and this can be offset when players have spent more time together or when the system is less complex. The complexities and frills that a full-time squad can toss out don’t mean s**t in the heat of the match if the players aren’t motivated and capable, and a part-time teams can certainly match that these days. With the ability to attract the best part-time players, due to the playing level, Arbroath have done well to chose players who suit their style and plans.

That execution by Arbroath results in a team that offers an interesting option for teams to loan players to, as those teams can still have the lads train with them a couple of days a week, while getting playing time they wouldn’t get otherwise, example Nouble. The next interesting event will be seeing who replaces Nouble after the window, as Livi should be right chuft with how Arbroath have developed him for them, and it would seem likely they would want to offer a replacement for him, for the remainder of the year, as a thanks.

Think the worst kept secret is that they're getting Jack Hamilton on loan again, he scored quite a few for them last season too. Looks utterly shit for us though, Championship could be his level for now

17 hours ago, TheScarf said:

It’s a complete fallacy. 

It's not "a complete fallacy", is it?

As a general rule it holds true.  Champions' League players tend not to be electricians on the side.

It's just that when you get closer to the cusp of the FT/PT divide, the gap is less pronounced.

10 hours ago, yorkshirepud said:

Anyway, back to the thread. Whose gearbox is that lying in the middle of the road? 

Wright getting found out here. A large part of his success at St Johnson was down to having a ready made core, guys like Steven Anderson, Stephen McLean, Murray Davidson - building a side from near scratch doesn’t appear to be his forte.

13 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's not "a complete fallacy", is it?

As a general rule it holds true.  Champions' League players tend not to be electricians on the side.

It's just that when you get closer to the cusp of the FT/PT divide, the gap is less pronounced.

With Arbroath, the subject of the discussion, it is.

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

With Arbroath, the subject of the discussion, it is.

Well of course Arbroath are bucking that trend, as are Falkirk, equally emphatically.

The trend itself is undeniable though, despite what often gets written on here.

Being full-time doesn't make you a better player, but it suggests you probably already are one.

Few things. Some good praise for us in here 

We will be breaking 1000 season tickets. Average crowd 1500 odd. Hospitality has been expanded and sells out regularly. We are getting good support and backing from local business. The boards done an unreal job. Have a full time commercial director now bringing in funds and adding events. We are bringing in good money, obviously even the league position money is supposed to be for FT clubs. It’s so much higher than L1 level. Our players will be getting paid well. 

On the loans. All the loans are training FT with their clubs and PT with us. I’m not sure if we are getting Jack Hamilton but if we are plus the other player I’ve heard mentioned as a replacement for big Nouble I’ll be very chuffed. 

Dick Campbell will be a massive loss when he retires. The appointment after will be a big one. We have a core of a squad. Older regulars and a new core of younger regulars. I’d hope we could continue with the trend after DC leaves. I hope Mo end up messing it up and I hope we are still in this league and we could steal SP back. 

We will see how it goes. We’re at our ceiling we obviously aren’t going to go into the Prem. But I think the last 5/6 years has put foundations in place for us to be a top of L1 / bottom championship team regularly. 

Some good praise in here and it’s good to read that because the board have done some excellent work. Couldn’t ask for any more from them.

11 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Few things. Some good praise for us in here 

We will be breaking 1000 season tickets. Average crowd 1500 odd. Hospitality has been expanded and sells out regularly. We are getting good support and backing from local business. The boards done an unreal job. Have a full time commercial director now bringing in funds and adding events. We are bringing in good money, obviously even the league position money is supposed to be for FT clubs. It’s so much higher than L1 level. Our players will be getting paid well. 

On the loans. All the loans are training FT with their clubs and PT with us. I’m not sure if we are getting Jack Hamilton but if we are plus the other player I’ve heard mentioned as a replacement for big Nouble I’ll be very chuffed. 

Dick Campbell will be a massive loss when he retires. The appointment after will be a big one. We have a core of a squad. Older regulars and a new core of younger regulars. I’d hope we could continue with the trend after DC leaves. I hope Mo end up messing it up and I hope we are still in this league and we could steal SP back. 

We will see how it goes. We’re at our ceiling we obviously aren’t going to go into the Prem. But I think the last 5/6 years has put foundations in place for us to be a top of L1 / bottom championship team regularly. 

Some good praise in here and it’s good to read that because the board have done some excellent work. Couldn’t ask for any more from them.

How does this compare with years gone by?  Does this feel like a sustainable increase in the local area, and do you think there's an appetite for the club to stay PT and continue with what has been a successful model?

Like most others I've been so impressed with Arbroath - admittedly I didn't know a great deal about them until they were promoted to this level, but have seen them a couple of times on TV now in the last few years and the "plucky part-timers" tag couldn't be further from the truth.  A very effective, and dangerous football side - and one that could have been out of sight at RP at HT last month.

1 hour ago, Estragon said:

How does this compare with years gone by?  Does this feel like a sustainable increase in the local area, and do you think there's an appetite for the club to stay PT and continue with what has been a successful model?

Like most others I've been so impressed with Arbroath - admittedly I didn't know a great deal about them until they were promoted to this level, but have seen them a couple of times on TV now in the last few years and the "plucky part-timers" tag couldn't be further from the truth.  A very effective, and dangerous football side - and one that could have been out of sight at RP at HT last month.

I think so yeah. Always had the better PT crowds even when we have been terrible. Not sure on what the usual is but I would guess 500/600 season tickets. Would say it’s doubled. It’s really noticeable too there is AFC stuff everywhere now, with bairns, in the summer, even when I’ve turned up to 5s or whatever I’ve been surprised at some of the boys I’ve seen come out the woodwork.

I think getting them down and enjoying Gayfield is all you need to do. Gayfields a great place to watch games. I always thought that when I was growing up if I was from a Dumbarton or Methil or whatever I’m not sure I would’ve ended up supporting EF or Dumbarton cause it’s a miserable experience watching games in a lot of these grounds.

I loved Gayfield as a kid for reasons other than football and that’s why I got hooked on going. Spent more time running round the terracing playing hunt. There’s so many kids going to games now. A community trust that’s started and is flying helps that. Reasonably sized place Arbroath. 

We’re at our ceiling but what has been put in place by the board has set us up so well going forward to always be the best PT club atleast. In my opinion 

Edited by 1320Lichtie