The competition has been devalued with the withdrawal of Cambuslang and Darvel. 

Think it reflects worse on the two clubs who pulled out in all honesty, especially Darvel whose inability to maintain a playing surface is one reason why the league got dragged out so long.

7 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Think it reflects worse on the two clubs who pulled out in all honesty, especially Darvel whose inability to maintain a playing surface is one reason why the league got dragged out so long.

Agree and yeah a final of Kilwinning Vs either Pollok or Hurlford should be an exciting game.  I think the cup should be in a good place next year and not be affected by a league that has the top division where the teams playing 38 league games so if only playing 30 league games then enough scope to fit the WEST cup in easily and not at the end or games keep being moved back.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

It's basically the West of Scotland Cup (continuing) so not quite the SJC or SCC depending on what you regard as being the main cup competition at the moment but still a significant piece of silverware.

Agree, in all forms of football, traditionally you usually have the main cup, (Scottish cup) and then the main regional cup (East, West, South cup) and then smaller cups and the Scottish is deemed more important and then the regional.  Now we have teams joining the main Scottish cup thus more important games taken precedent over the other cups.  This is another season and quite well founded why more and more teams I expect will pull out of the Junior cup, well i mean not register for it but I coudl be wrong

The West is now a bigger tournament than the Junior Cup. Harder to win as the quality of opposition is higher. 

It is the 2nd most prestigious trophy behind the Challenge Cup and represents a chance for Pollok, Hurlford or Kilwinning to win a first piece of silverware as a “senior” club. 

Like Cambuslang, Darvel should be fined and barred from playing in the West of Scotland cup the next time they are in tier 6, be that next season or if whenever they are relegated back to tier 6. The three clubs still in have plenty of injury problems. We had 13/24 first team players for the Clydebank game. 

[emoji1782][emoji1782][emoji1782][emoji1782][emoji1782][emoji1782][emoji1782][emoji1782][emoji1782][emoji1782][emoji1782][emoji1782][emoji1782][emoji1782]

Are you seriously suggesting the Junior Cup is more prestigious? Did you see Yoker's run to the final?

28 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Are you seriously suggesting the Junior Cup is more prestigious? Did you see Yoker's run to the final?

Yoker Athletic (Junior Cup)

Rd 1 Coupar Angus (a) 3-0, abandoned HT, 2-0

Rd 2 Girvan (a) 3-2

Rd 3 East Kilbride Thistle (h) 3-1

Rd 4 Ashfield (h) 3-1

Q/Final Dyce (a) 1-0

S/Final Petershill (n) 2-1

Kilwinning Rangers (Killie Pie Cup)

Rd 1 Royal Albert (h) 5-0

Rd 2 Greenock (a) 1-0

Rd 3 Glenafton Athletic (a) 4-1

Q/Final Thorniewood United (a) 0-0, 4p3

S/Final BYE

I would say that Yoker had it tougher than Kilwinning.

Incidentally, I had to go to an external site to find penalty result for Thorniewood game. Compare that to the SJFA site that has teamlines, substitutions, bookings and goalscorers with times for every game.

So Yoker got to the final having played no top flight teams, while Kilwinning faced one and would have faced another in the semi. That's the conclusion I'm drawing from your research.

Quarter final line-up in the West Cup was Pollok, Clydebank, Darvel, Arthurlie, Hurlford, Kilwinning, Darvel and Thorniewood. Only one of whom definitely will not be Premier Division next season (one of them will likely be Lowland League).

Quarter final of the Junior Cup was Talbot, Yoker, Petershill, Dyce, Kirkintilloch, Shotts, Largs and Arthurlie.

We all know which one is stronger and when you compare the list of participants in the two respective competitions next season then that will be even clearer.

20 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Or Dyce's run as the only non-WOS club in the quarter finals - they played three teams from basically tier 8/9 and got a bye against Armadale.

39 minutes ago, 3point4win said:

Have you noticed the awful crowd for a south final.  With zero media coverage and only promotion of it a day before the games and final. 

Pretty good if a final with no promotion can manage almost 1000. 🤡 Only way is up next season then. 

Just a hunch or in the know?

The first one. With more clubs going for licensing, the junior cup will fall down the priority list and will presumably be the 4th priority competition for scheduling purposes. Each club will make their own mind up but the numbers will be down next year I would imagine.

Shame to see it end up that way, but it's been going that way for years and the SJFA being asleep at the wheel for years made it inevitable.

6 hours ago, 3point4win said:

A fantastic regional cup this should be like it was in the juniors.  Just needs to be planned better which hopefully it will be next season and for the love of god get rid of that old fool as a sponsor who strong rumour has it even his own team are pulling out at the semi final stage. 

This is what happens when you ditch having a committee and give free reign to two individuals. 

Obsessed… their is a management committee so not sure why you think just 2 folk…. Your getting as bad as Rob Roy Guy did 

On 01/05/2022 at 14:19, wow-wee said:

I'm a bit disappointed that the new West of Scotland cup is being treated the same as the old junior West cup no set dates and being played like an end of season tournament most teams season are finished and are still waiting to play ties in the cup and the final is away into June a lot of players contracts are finished at the beginning of June as they were told the season would be finished by then so teams progressing in the tournament won't be able to field a team and will have to forfeit their tie due to having insufficient amount of signed players.

I did say teams would be struggling to field a team for the tournament and surprise it's happened it was away back at the beginning of may that teams seen this coming but the fixture man wouldn't listen ! Darren Henderson said it back then I got told from someone at darvel back then they would be pulling out too these teams and cambuslang told them did they listen no they didn't now look at the mess .