Centenary matches

HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'm impressed they bothered having a penalty shootout to decide a centenary friendly, especially as neither the programme or match report indicate a cup at stake.

it was a full on competitive game with saints giving the european champions one hell of a game 

Edinburgh City are mere striplings but we did play Manchester United for our 75th anniversary in 2003.

It was made a Fringe show too!

Tadg Moriarty opened the scoring so there is a photo of the Meadowbank scoreboard reading "Edinburgh City 1 Manchester United 0"

The only famous sort of player who appeared for a young Red Devils team was Sylvan Ebanks-Blake who played for Wolves.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

I'm certain a local jeweller put up a trophy or shield for the winners.

we played arsenal in the provans the jeweller cup in 1981. this game was played because we lost to dumbarton in 3rd round of scottish cup and arsenal lost to everton in fa cup giving us a blank saturday.the dodgers put in a complaint to sfa as they were at home to aberdeen in cup on same day and were worried our game would affect their crowd

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1980&GameID=198102150

Edited by Buddie Holly

3 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

we played arsenal in the provans the jeweller cup in 1981. this game was played because we lost to dumbarton in 3rd round of scottish cup and arsenal lost to everton in fa cup giving us a blank saturday.the dodgers put in a complaint to sfa as they were at home to aberdeen in cup and thought our game would affect their crowd.just under 10000 attended  the game at love street

Yeah, knew all that. The Arsenal game was on a Sunday for the reason you've given.

Still sure Liverpool were presented with a shield.

On 30/10/2021 at 14:14, HibeeJibee said:

Were any centenary matches arranged by Airdrie, Albion Rovers, Alloa, Ayr United, Clyde, Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton, Dundee, East Stirlingshire, Falkirk, Greenock Morton, Hamilton, Partick, Queen of the South, Raith, St Johnstone, Stenhousemuir or Stranraer? Are any other matches missing from this list?

We attempted to have a (two years late) centenary match against Zaire in 1974 but they declined as they were off to play Scotland at the world cup. No match took place to mark the occasion in the end.

On 07/11/2021 at 04:53, sfha said:

"New pence" was still on coins right up to the 80s, I seem to remember, and you could still use the pre-decimalisation 2 shilling coin as a 10p til around then. 

In 1982 they dropped the “New Pence”, but a small number of 1983 2p coins were minted with “New Pence” on them and are now somewhat valuable.

The shilling (5p) was usable until 1991 and the florin (10p) until 1993…and the sixpence was valid as 2 1/2p until only 1980.

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/10/2021 at 14:14, HibeeJibee said:

Down the decades most Scottish league clubs have celebrated their centenary - and often marked them with special games and occasions against many glamorous (or not so glamorous) opponents. Some clubs like Berwick, Celtic and Queen's Park even had multiple such matches. However when trying to put a list together a lot of clubs don't look to feature.

Were any centenary matches arranged by Airdrie, Albion Rovers, Alloa, Ayr United, Clyde, Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton, Dundee, East Stirlingshire, Falkirk, Greenock Morton, Hamilton, Partick, Queen of the South, Raith, St Johnstone, Stenhousemuir or Stranraer? Are any other matches missing from this list?

Queen of the South     ?? (2019)

Nope, no centenary match. We tried but it's harder and harder these days to fit a friendly into a schedule. We did speak to Leeds United tentatively, whose centenary it also was, about sending a side up here for a game but it didn't get very far.

We did have a 75th Anniversary match back in 1994 against Rangers.

13 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Never knew this, and I certainly don't remember ever using one.

I read old Oor Wullie cartoons in the late 70s and Wullie was always getting tanners from the tooth fairy

Mentioned this to my dad when I lost a tooth. I thought I might get a 10p (a fortune then) but he'd sourced a sixpence for me which I found under my pillow. I was a bit disappointed as being a decimal kid I didn't think sixpence was proper money.

On 05/12/2021 at 10:31, Lurkst said:

Never knew this, and I certainly don't remember ever using one.

We would drop our tooth in a glass of water and if a sixpence wasn't available you got a 5p piece instead.

• 4 weeks later...