Scotland v Denmark

Scary Bear

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Jack will walk into the squad ahead of the likes of McLean and Ferguson. He was a crucial player for us very briefly and has been superb for Rangers in Europe - look how much they have missed him. We don't really have another grafter like him for those big games.

Campbell will need to focus on actually getting a game for the "unattractive" Luton Town before he can even think about a move or getting near a Scotland call-up.

I'll be honest with you, I haven't watched any of Jack's club games in Europe so can't comment on his form there.  I would never describe him as crucial for Scotland - has he been missed at all?  I would argue that Scotland's best games in years have been when he hasn't been in the squad due to his injuries.

I don't think he'd 'walk' into any squad - with those frail legs of his he's more likely to hobble!!

I'd be amazed if Allan Campbell gets capped. 

If he does it'll make me even more seething Scotland couldn't be arsed trying to tie down Ali McCann. 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Yeah, as soon as Jack is fully fit he's in the squad.

Allan Campbell ffs.

I don't have any club bias here - I watched Allan Campbell 3 or 4 times in his time in the SPFL and he was an absolute stand-out every time.  I have watched Jack quite a few more times than that - very rarely a stand-out.

I can only go on what I have seen - I am not going to clamber on a 'Ryan Jack is a great midfielder' bandwagon just because the Daily Record says so.  With what I have seen with my own eyes, he is an average midfielder.  He creates very little (I know this isn't his primary role, but surely a midfield requirement) and never seems to challenge the opposition when not on the ball.  He can keep possession well - mainly by passing to a defender - I'll give him that.

13 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Right there with you mate. Really hard times on the personal front. Monday was some release. Tears and snotters everywhere.

I hope things improve for you soon pal. DM is always open if you need a chat. 

I really rate and like Jack but I think Gilmour does a better job of breaking up play than him. He seems to intercept a lot and takes up good positions to do so. Is certainly less "get intae them" than Jack but rather than tackling players has more ability to stop the ball getting to them. Some statto can check the figures to see how wrong I am obviously. This is just a hunch. 

ETA: If Jack doesn't make it back into the next squad it's because the players playing now are doing so well. Not because Allan Campbell is gonna get in ahead of him. That's daft. 

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

Gilmour, McGregor and possibly McTominay are ahead of Jack for CM spots in our team (assuming we consider McGinn’s free role not to be part of a 5 man midfield) but Jack should be back in the squad at least as soon as he’s fit enough to do so. He’s a far better player than Kenny McLean for starters. 

14 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Gilmour, McGregor and possibly McTominay are ahead of Jack for CM spots in our team (assuming we consider McGinn’s free role not to be part of a 5 man midfield) but Jack should be back in the squad at least as soon as he’s fit enough to do so. He’s a far better player than Kenny McLean for starters. 

Jack would never get back into that first 11 if Gilmour and McGregor are fit

29 minutes ago, StinkyGarth said:

I don't have any club bias here - I watched Allan Campbell 3 or 4 times in his time in the SPFL and he was an absolute stand-out every time.  I have watched Jack quite a few more times than that - very rarely a stand-out.

I can only go on what I have seen - I am not going to clamber on a 'Ryan Jack is a great midfielder' bandwagon just because the Daily Record says so.  With what I have seen with my own eyes, he is an average midfielder.  He creates very little (I know this isn't his primary role, but surely a midfield requirement) and never seems to challenge the opposition when not on the ball.  He can keep possession well - mainly by passing to a defender - I'll give him that.

I never accused you of club bias. It's all about opinions but I must say I think the opinion that Ryan Jack is only good at keeping possession by passing to a defender is an utterly awful take on a very important player for both his club and his country, albeit his importance for his country has reduced slightly with the other options who have come through. There's a reason Ryan Jack plays for a team looking to do well in Europe and Allan Campbell struggles to get a game for Luton Town.

I liked Campbell when he was at Motherwell, haven’t seen a single minute of him playing for Luton, but the idea that he’ll be ahead of a fit Ryan Jack is nonsense. I can see Campbell getting capped, but I think he’ll end his career with single figure caps. 

Jack was a fantastic player for a while for us, and deserves to get back into the squad once he’s proven his fitness.

On an unrelated note, I still love that first goal against Austria at home. SOD stood not really knowing what anyone’s wanting him to do, and then just floats it in to exactly where Hanley’s going. Still unsure why the Austrian keeper didn’t come for it, but it hardly matters now. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

How bad is Ian Crocker

Crocker just needs to be telt to bring it down a notch or 7.

Not everything needs to be a line for the ages, the strain in the voice doesn't lend itself to that sorta thing. 

Aye fair enough (aside from Jack, who hasn't been in the team since before the Euros, but I put that down to your particular bias [emoji4] ).

I can assure you that no Aberdeen fan is biased towards Ryan Jack. He’s one that would have been in every squad if not for injury.

Realised I missed Ryan Fraser from that list as well.

2 hours ago, StinkyGarth said:

I'm not sure how Jack could find himself back in the current side - or even squad.  He'd have a lot of impressing to do - and have to get beyond the level he's ever been at before.

When Allan Campbell gets a move to a more attractive team than Luton Town I can see him being more likely to be pushing for a place.  Was always very impressed with him in the few times I saw him at Motherwell, and I believe he's doing well down South

On 14/11/2021 at 23:08, red23 said:

17 hours ago, craigkillie said:

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Yeah, as soon as Jack is fully fit he's in the squad.

Allan Campbell ffs.

Oooh , I think there is a great admirer of Mr Campbell posts here

Edited by Ewan8472

I'll be honest with you, I haven't watched any of Jack's club games in Europe so can't comment on his form there.  I would never describe him as crucial for Scotland - has he been missed at all?  I would argue that Scotland's best games in years have been when he hasn't been in the squad due to his injuries.
I don't think he'd 'walk' into any squad - with those frail legs of his he's more likely to hobble!!

I feel really sorry for you that you missed the Serbia game, I hope whatever prior engagement caused you to miss our nation's biggest footballing moment in the last 20 years was worth it.

In terms of never missing Jack, he would very clearly have been an improvement on Armstrong against both the Czechs and Croatia in the summer.

Happy to be told if I have just missed all of Jack's stand-out games - I can only judge with what I have seen.  The consensus seems to be that he is a crucial player for Scotland - the statistics however seem to show that the team are better without him.

The Allan Campbell shout was on the basis of the 3 or 4 games that I have seen him play, there will be Motherwell fans who have a better idea of what he is all about.  In one of the games I watched him he absolutely bossed a current Scotland squad midfielder, leaving him entirely anonymous.   I believe he got injured at Luton Town which is the reason behind him missing games - now that he is back I think he'll become a name mentioned more and more.

Once again, I am judging him on the limited times I have seen him - it could be that he had the best 3 or 4 games of his life on those occasions, and he's actually bang average.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I feel really sorry for you that you missed the Serbia game, I hope whatever prior engagement caused you to miss our nation's biggest footballing moment in the last 20 years was worth it.

In terms of never missing Jack, he would very clearly have been an improvement on Armstrong against both the Czechs and Croatia in the summer.

I think you are confusing great performances with great results.

Just now, StinkyGarth said:

Happy to be told if I have just missed all of Jack's stand-out games - I can only judge with what I have seen.  The consensus seems to be that he is a crucial player for Scotland - the statistics however seem to show that the team are better without him.

The Allan Campbell shout was on the basis of the 3 or 4 games that I have seen him play, there will be Motherwell fans who have a better idea of what he is all about.  In one of the games I watched him he absolutely bossed a current Scotland squad midfielder, leaving him entirely anonymous.   I believe he got injured at Luton Town which is the reason behind him missing games - now that he is back I think he'll become a name mentioned more and more.

Once again, I am judging him on the limited times I have seen him - it could be that he had the best 3 or 4 games of his life on those occasions, and he's actually bang average.

I wasn't convinced on jack when he first came in, but his performances for Scotland certainly won me over.

Hes always in the right place and much better on the ball than I thought. Good range of passing and his first touch passing is excellent.

Hes been unlucky with the timing of his injuries, he would be struggling now to go back in as a first pick. But he's definitely a guy I would take in every squad. Probably at the expense of McLean, who's also done well for us.

We have a wealth of midfield options and for me Jack is certainly part of that.