Scotland v Denmark

Scary Bear

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I'm totally amazed that Shaun Rooney hasn't been called up a after being such a part of the double cup winning season yet and after playing well for a month or so Ralston has been called up, baffling. :rolleyes:

Any Takers?

FIFA have already warned us about picking a St.Johnstone player don’t want to risk a ban by picking two.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Pleased for Ralston. I got it wrong about him, same as Hendry tbh. 
Must be hard to still pretend he’s absolutely shite when he’s nearly hit double figures already for goals/assists this season.

celtic fans that I know have said similar, that's he's a completely different player this season after previously slaughtering his performances.

The only other options would be Ramsey at Aberdeen and Rooney at StJ..., Clarke has probably made the most sensible choice here.

4 minutes ago, bennett said:

celtic fans that I know have said similar, that's he's a completely different player this season after previously slaughtering his performances.

The only other options would be Ramsey at Aberdeen and Rooney at StJ..., Clarke has probably made the most sensible choice here.

To be fair I never really thought he was that bad, he was never the quickest for his position and seemed to be a fair bit slower again when he came back from his bad knee injury. But he seems to getting a fair bit fitter now and positioning much better to compensate for lack of pace.

I think Ralston shades the other options as he is more used to playing at a higher level and under more scrutiny.

I'm totally amazed that Shaun Rooney hasn't been called up a after being such a part of the double cup winning season yet and after playing well for a month or so Ralston has been called up, baffling. :rolleyes:
Any Takers?

1) Rooney is just back from a 4 week injury
2) Ralston has been involved in youth squads which will help with making a quick decision.

It’s not rocket science. And that’s coming from a Saints fan.

Worth remembering that a heavily depleted Scotland squad pretty much matched them in Copenhagen for the last 75 minutes of the match. Unfortunately we were already 2-0 down by that point.

Now we have a close to full strength Scotland squad at a packed out Hampden where the stadium is going to be going absolutely nuts against a Denmark side who have already qualified.

I think we have a very good chance to avoid defeat and at least a puncher’s chance of the win. 

11 minutes ago, mizfit said:

2) Ralston has been involved in youth squads which will help with making a quick decision.

I was being funny. :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Worth remembering that a heavily depleted Scotland squad pretty much matched them in Copenhagen for the last 75 minutes of the match. Unfortunately we were already 2-0 down by that point.

Now we have a close to full strength Scotland squad at a packed out Hampden where the stadium is going to be going absolutely nuts against a Denmark side who have already qualified.

I think we have a very good chance to avoid defeat and at least a puncher’s chance of the win. 

It could have been five or six by half time.  Denmark eased off.  It’s been a long time since Scotland were outclassed to the extent Denmark did.  

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It could have been five or six by half time.  Denmark eased off.  It’s been a long time since Scotland were outclassed to the extent Denmark did.  

Aye, this is still a big test for us. There aren’t really dead rubbers in international football because everyone is playing to keep their place.

I don’t think our chances are as good as the bookies do. Especially since we won’t have Prime Time Patterson in the side.

43 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Fair points, well made.

Ralston deserves his call up but Clarke is a very smart coach, defensively. The style Celtic play means Ralston doesn’t have to focus on the defensive side of his game too much domestically. In Europe, when he does Celtic have conceded a lot of goals and he’s made some individual errors.

Ralston will really struggle if he started vs Denmark and Clarke knows this. He won’t start.

Fair points, well made.
Ralston deserves his call up but Clarke is a very smart coach, defensively. The style Celtic play means Ralston doesn’t have to focus on the defensive side of his game too much domestically. In Europe, when he does Celtic have conceded a lot of goals and he’s made some individual errors.
Ralston will really struggle if he started vs Denmark and Clarke knows this. He won’t start.

Our wing-backs don't have to do loads of defending either, it's why our RWBs in recent games have all been predominantly attack-minded players like O'Donnell, Fraser and Patterson. Palmer was the odd one out and really didn't work.