Scotland v Denmark

Scary Bear

Simon Kjaer is one of the world's best centre backs and he barely put a foot wrong the other night. If anything, watching the highlights, he might have been the Dane's best player. Yet he was still absolutely fucking owned by Ché Adams. This wisnae a case of an off-night for Denmark. They were jist fucking telt. Magic.

Finally!
Sportscene, 2021/22: Highlights: Scotland v Denmark: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0011qfg via @bbciplayer

I've been "spinning the plates" since Mon night waiting to rewatch this!

Never noticed at the time (obviously) but there is a steward going apeshit after the Adams goal at the top of the screen. I know they're there to do a job but thought that was quality - his emotions clearly getting the better of him [emoji38]

Just watched the Sportscene highlights too. Wonderful stuff, although a wee bit more Billy Gilmour wouldn't have hurt. 

Are broadcasters just giving up on the co-commentators being impartial analysts now? McCann and McCoist both just behaved as I would in the commentary box, making all sorts of noises and cheering when we score. 

I'm being a curmudgeon, I know, but I don't particularly like that. I don't want us to have those Brazil type commentators who yell Gooooooooool!! at even the shitiest netbound sclaff.

Anyway, delighted to have the analysis of that game and a chance to see the performance again. I had no idea that the Danes were without 9 players though. 4 through suspension and 5 through injury. That does check my euphoria a wee bit.

16 minutes ago, velo army said:

Just watched the Sportscene highlights too. Wonderful stuff, although a wee bit more Billy Gilmour wouldn't have hurt. 

Are broadcasters just giving up on the co-commentators being impartial analysts now? McCann and McCoist both just behaved as I would in the commentary box, making all sorts of noises and cheering when we score. 

I'm being a curmudgeon, I know, but I don't particularly like that. I don't want us to have those Brazil type commentators who yell Gooooooooool!! at even the shitiest netbound sclaff.

Anyway, delighted to have the analysis of that game and a chance to see the performance again. I had no idea that the Danes were without 9 players though. 4 through suspension and 5 through injury. That does check my euphoria a wee bit.

McCoist almost makes Sky tv's coverage of Scotland games tolerable.  I detest Crocker and his incredibly boring and predictable commentaries.  I just love McCoist's passion....he cares, we care, this is a shared experience.

Please don't tell me you want the return of Andy Walker or Davie Provan?

To emphasise Sky's disdain for Scottish football they had a tiny wee snippet of the scotland game on yesterday morning and the focus seemed to be on Robertson going off with a knock and he has "a massive game v Arsenal on Saturday"  I doubt Robertson or Tierney could give a stuff about their next club game on Monday night.

14 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I got one of the soakings of my life at that France game and I think it was in the old enclosure (more family friendly) in front of the main stand - worm's eye view but right in line with Dalglish's belteremoji7.png

Dalglish's belter was v Spain surely.

Mo Johnston got both goals in the France game IIRC.

To be clear what I'm noticing is a recent phenomenon. McCoist has enthusiasm in abundance and I love him. I don't want another co-commentator. What I'm wondering, genuinely, is if the producers have decided to do away with objective, but enthusiastic, analysis of the game and are encouraging the co-comms to let their "supporter" personas have free rein.

I see that as a further step down the road of dumbing down football coverage, which I don't see as a positive. 

Ian Crocker is the worst of commentators. He's lazy and hackneyed, giving it the same "hope of a nation" pish or whatever that was at McTominay's goal against Israel. I always want a scottish commentator for our games and Rob McClean, Liam McLeod or any other suitable teuchter would be far far better than Crocker.

E.T.A forgot to quote @Caledonian1

Edited by velo army
Forgot to quote Caledonian1

4 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Simon Kjaer is one of the world's best centre backs and he barely put a foot wrong the other night. If anything, watching the highlights, he might have been the Dane's best player. Yet he was still absolutely fucking owned by Ché Adams. This wisnae a case of an off-night for Denmark. They were jist fucking telt. Magic.

I think Kjaer was there best player on the night and that block at the end was world class defending from an outstanding player.  He was already going across to block it before Adams had even headed it back across goal.  Brilliant defending. 

11 minutes ago, Derryboy62 said:

I think Kjaer was there best player on the night and that block at the end was world class defending from an outstanding player.  He was already going across to block it before Adams had even headed it back across goal.  Brilliant defending. 

Bringing it back to McCoist's commentating... yes he loses it a bit and goes mental at Scotland goals but, after that move, he spent just as much time lauding Kjaer as he did the pass and header. Same with Schmeichal's stop in the first half. I can forgive the "unprofessionalism" in the heat of the moment because he still calls it down the middle afterward. 

Aye, McCoist celebrated like a fan at the goal, but he remains neutral when describing the action.  During the Euros, Lee Dixon, Jermaine Jenas etc were clearly showing biased towards England.  For example every foul on an England player was a booking, and whenever an England player would foul someone it 'wasn't even a foul'.  There's a clear difference.

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

I've finally stopped jizzing. 

I may have seen better performances but i don't remember them. 

That was the best Scotland performance i can remember. 

Outstanding. 

Remember to rehydrate.

5 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Bringing it back to McCoist's commentating... yes he loses it a bit and goes mental at Scotland goals but, after that move, he spent just as much time lauding Kjaer as he did the pass and header. Same with Schmeichal's stop in the first half. I can forgive the "unprofessionalism" in the heat of the moment because he still calls it down the middle afterward. 

Yep, this. There were quite a few times where either McGinn or Adams went down fairly easy and McCoist was quick to side with the ref and say: “yeah, no foul”.

I think some of the problem with Crocker can be a bit of: “who’re you to talk us down? That’s our job..” but he also comes across as patronising fairly frequently - after about half an hour on Monday, Scotland had been well on top and looked the much better team but Crocker came out with: “Scotland playing admirably” as if we’d been backs to the wall that whole time.

Again, though, I wonder if it was a Scottish commentator saying exactly the same thing, we’d get so bothered by it. I’m sure Italians would get hacked off with having to listen to French commentators commentating in Italian for all of their games too.

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye, McCoist celebrated like a fan at the goal, but he remains neutral when describing the action.  During the Euros, Lee Dixon, Jermaine Jenas etc were clearly showing biased towards England.  For example every foul on an England player was a booking, and whenever an England player would foul someone it 'wasn't even a foul'.  There's a clear difference.

Jenas, who I liked as a MoTD pundit, shocked me with his jingoistic guff which alternated between fanboy gushing to North Korean like propaganda. It was almost as like he was advised or encouraged to be as biased as f**k in the belief it is what the viewers wanted from their co-commentators. Non English viewers in the UK are really shafted at these times. 

ETA - McCoist called out Tierney and a couple of other Scotland players for over-reacting to contact from the opposition. McCoist said a number of times he didn't think that was a foul for Scotland and agreed with the ref's call (where was the ref from - I liked the way he bossed the game). There is no way in hell Dixon et all would have called something out like that against England. Not in a million years. 

ETA x 2 - I now see bleeding gums has made the v same point earlier. Am having a nightmare here

Edited by KingRocketman II

1 minute ago, KingRocketman II said:

Jenas, who I liked as a MoTD pundit, shocked me with his jingoistic guff which alternated between fanboy gushing to North Korean like propaganda. It was almost as like he was advised or encouraged to be as biased as f**k in the belief it is what the viewers wanted from their co-commentators. Non English viewers in the UK are really shafted at these times. 

Yeah.  These guys won't care that they're being broadcast to the whole of the UK.  He will only care about catering for the English audience, who make up the vast majority of the audience to be fair, but that's not the point.