Scotland v Denmark

Scary Bear

Just now, The Moonster said:

Totally agree. Still think we can beat them in a one off game.

If we were playing them next week at Hampden I'd agree, but it's a long time until a potential meeting now.

23 minutes ago, Rugbyroader said:

We don’t want any of the big teams if possible. Remember what happened the last time we played Italy in a playoff. We were allegedly robbed as FIFA wanted Italy in the finals rather than us. 

1) it wasn't a play off it was a regular group game at the end of a qualifying 

2) go and watch the game again, Italy had a perfectly good goal chopped off for offside, our equaliser actually was offside yet stood. the free kick at the end that everyone cried about, it was only a free kick, not a penalty and we stood about baw watching instead of defending it -

- in any case it was 1-1 in the 89th minuet &  a draw was no good to us, we had to win to qualify

not exactly robbed 

we needed 3 points from our last 2 games against Georgia and Italy to be assured of qualification

we got 0

Aw man, that was utterly delightful.
The hangover in work right now is 100% worth it and so was spending my lunch reading 53 wonderful pages.
I honestly just love this team, the euros apart we just constantly seem to exceed expectations, such a truly loveable group of players, every Scottish footballer (Ryan Fraser apart) must just want to be part of that group of absolute ballers.
Praying for North Macedonia or Finland and for Italy and Portugals play off final route to draw them against eachother but even to be in this position is some going and the person who rightly gets most of the credit is Steve Clarke, what a man he is, to go from the shambles we were under Alex McLeish with him picking the likes of Scott Bain, Graeme Shinnie, David Bates, Marc McNulty etc to genuinely being a force to be reckoned with over just 3 years is way above our wildest expectations of him.
Tonight every man was superb, Gordon made a couple of saves but what I felt was most important was the number of cross and high balls that he just plucked from the air and killed all the pressure.
O’Donnell was his usual self, lots of running and hard work, a man I have so much respect for and have never once doubted, man is a total hero.
John Souttar I had worries about him starting but he totally shut me up, fair play.
Liam Cooper won absolutely everything in the air, a total brick wall, first time we’ve really seen why he plays at such a high level consistently but by god it was totally clear, a rock.
Kieran Tierney, just every time he gets the ball you know he’s gonna do something good, I posted a joke BBC starting line up earlier in the thread with him as a number 10 but if he was asked to no doubt he could bloody play there.
Andy Robertson has gone from a target for abuse because his international form isn’t as good as his club form to one of the most loved men in the country.
Calum McGregor, what the f**k? I honestly hated him about 12 months ago,  prior to that Serbia game I don’t think he’d had a good game for us once, since then he’s hardly had a bad one, faultless and thought he was our best player in the first half.
Speaking of our best player, I know he went off early but man of the match for me was between Gilmour and McGinn, both of them, absolutely trojans, all that running, clever touches, the passes they had for the move where Christie played Robertson/Adams in, if that had gone in I don’t think I’d have ever seen a better goal in my life.
Ryan Christie is one I’ve not seen many comments about but I thought again he was brilliant, he used the ball so well, often found in the second half he was an outball and the way he used possession was not only useful in keeping the ball but very positive and it allowed for plenty counter attacks, gets a bad wrap if you ask me but another great performer tonight.
And Adams, we’ll I don’t think I have anything more to add than what’s already been said, so often he won 50/50’s that weren’t even 50/50’s, can I call them 80/20’s? Where he had no right to be winning things, picking it up and bringing us up the park, I was already celebrating when Armstrong played the pass through to him, you had total confidence he would stick it away and he did it so well.
Just imagine how good we would be if we called up all the English Championship and MLS players with Scottish great uncles.
How far can this team go? Well I don’t want to get carried away but who’s going to stop us winning the World Cup?

Outstanding post [emoji122][emoji122]

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It's just tiring. We're on a very good run of form right now with clear improvements in our shape and organisation happening in every camp, yet after every single game on here we've got weirdos posting 10 second clips of Billy Gilmour losing the ball or criticising Che Adams after 10 minutes of football. As I said after the last round of games, too many folk love to concentrate on the negative in this country and you reinforcing the fact that you thought Adams made mistakes last night, even after he had scored and bossed much of the game, encapsulates that. The boy's just ran his heart out and scored the goal that sealed the game for us, just lay off on the "aye but..." stuff and nobody would give a f**k.

Aye fair enough.  It's all a bit disproportionate though.

It really should be possible to declare a slightly critical stance amid the jubilation without inciting quite such a feeding frenzy.

Lesson learned though.  Under no circumstances, depart even by a letter from the orthodoxy when Scotland win.

In the cold light of day, it was a stunningly good performance, just about as complete as can be.

6 hours ago, buchan30 said:

1st game I remember was costa rica in italia 90. That should have prepared me for what was to come over the years. It’s great that the fans have that hope and there will certainly, on last nights performances be competition for places. We are starting to have strength in depth. I (probably like everyone else) have said for years we needed to be more solid defensively, and we are becoming a more solid side.

Mine is Uruguay in 1986. I know I saw at least one of the other games, but Uruguay sticks in the memory. 0-0 against an utterly mediocre bunch of cloggers who played with ten men for everything bar the opening twenty seconds. Welcome to supporting Scotland, son.

5 hours ago, Ken Deans said:

Last night was sexy as f**k

I'm still walking like John Wayne.

20 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

This is the best thread ever in the history of P & B

So far.

Wait 'til March.

19 hours ago, Jute said:

Think I may have damaged my vocal cords after 2nd. I can hardly speak now. Fantastic performance by the entire team tonight. 

515EAE90-AEBD-4BE1-98FD-2E68131A2377.jpeg

You'll get over it.

Back in the 'good old days' of 70,000 plus crowds, ( with alcohol allowed  🥳) it was a common occurrence. 

Glad to see it make a return, long may it continue.  Hoarse Scotland fans are a good sign.

Late to the party but that was tremendous last night. Easily the best 90 minute performance I've seen from Scotland in the flesh.

Right from the start we got after Denmark and played some tremendous stuff at times. The tactic of popping SOD on Schmeichel at every corner and watching him have a meltdown, credit to SOD for pulling it off and Austin MacPhee for coming up for it.

The Souttar redemption story, brilliant. I cannot claim to be his biggest fan as a defender but you'd have to have a heart of stone not to appreciate what he's gone through to get back to the peak of last night. Thoroughly deserved his goal, well done to him.

Easily the best performances Adams and Cooper have put in for Scotland. Both were magnificent.

What a team we have right now, pleasure to watch them. March cannot come around quickly enough.

52 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Mine is Uruguay in 1986. I know I saw at least one of the other games, but Uruguay sticks in the memory. 0-0 against an utterly mediocre bunch of cloggers who played with ten men for everything bar the opening twenty seconds. Welcome to supporting Scotland, son.

I'm still walking like John Wayne.

So far.

Wait 'til March.

The Uruguay game was the same day I was born. I think my Dad must have been shitfaced watching it in the pub.