Scotland v Denmark

Scary Bear

Stick with one up front, please. And that should be Adams after his performance last night. Harsh on Dykes after his recent goalscoring form, but I feel we look much better with one up front and Denmark's greatest strength is their midfield, we can't afford to surrender the middle of the pitch. Besides, Dykes is a pretty decent option to have on the bench if we need a goal.

Stick with one up front, please. And that should be Adams after his performance last night. Harsh on Dykes after his recent goalscoring form, but I feel we look much better with one up front and Denmark's greatest strength is their midfield, we can't afford to surrender the middle of the pitch. Besides, Dykes is a pretty decent option to have on the bench if we need a goal.
I'm not sure. Denmark stretched our midfield three so easily last time but we'll be more dangerous leaving Dykes and Adams up the park.

8 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
1 hour ago, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

I'm not sure. Denmark stretched our midfield three so easily last time but we'll be more dangerous leaving Dykes and Adams up the park.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least as it's potentially a good balance to have at home versus a strong opposition. Steve Clarke doesn't tend to play 3-4-1-2 in the home games even against the likes of Croatia, Czech Republic and possibly Austria where I think the shape was originally something like what we played last night. Not a lot of time between games, but he has basically got three variants of the 3-5-2 to choose from that won't require introduction to the team.

Edited by 2426255

10 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
1 hour ago, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

They can easily get isolated in a midfield battle. Robertson and, obviously, Patterson, also looked much more dangerous than usual in yesterday's formation. Admittedly Denmark are a lot better than Moldova.

The big risk here is suspensions going into the play-off. The team will be on a high and buzzing with a bouncing crowd behind them at the old dump. So I expect them to be snapping into tackles and getting right in about the Danes, which will be great to see but I'm expecting yellows.

Remains to be seen if Steve Clark can calm them down enough to limit the damage and still do enough to get that point or win. Cue another tartan nail biter, but of a different sort. 🤞

3 hours ago, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

Adams is on a booking, so I'd rather he was benched 

11 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Adams, Gilmour, Hendry, McGinn, McTominay, Nisbet, O’Donnell, Robertson are all on one booking.

Be interested to see if any of them are “rested”. I’d guess probably not but would people take a positive result from this if it meant e.g. Gilmour and Robertson being suspended for the play-off?

I’d rather have the semi at Hampden and be missing a couple of players than ending up away to Russia or something like that with a full squad

2 hours ago, Hibee_Hibernian said:

I’d rather have the semi at Hampden and be missing a couple of players than ending up away to Russia or something like that with a full squad

This is what a few players missing might look like for Denmark.

image.png.72db9e002969d0b2feaea1b1fd10a335.png

Thing is if you start with that team and things go badly then you might end up tempted to bring on McGinn or Robertson for example to try and sort it leaving you in a bit of a mess with an away trip to Russia missing a couple of key players so I think it's obvious we have to decide one way or another.

I'd also go strong against Denmark and see where the chips end up. You don't need to play McTominay and Hendry and potentially don't need to play Adams. March is quite far in the future and lots could happen in that time with the players. in terms of form, injury etc. 

Steve Clarke suggested 2 or 3 changes.

Edited by 2426255

53 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
3 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:
I don't think yellows carry into the playoffs, just suspensions.  I might be wrong though.

Is that right? If it is then that changes things a bit (for the better).

Hope that is the case as yellows carrying into play-offs would be ludicrous.  Think someone else pointed out that you only get suspended after three yellows in 6 champs league group games.  Theoretically, you would be suspended in the world cup qualifiers (including play offs) for two yellows in twelve matches.   Several teams will go into the play offs having played only 8 games whilst Scotland, and others, will have played ten - how can that be fair?

7 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I don't think yellows carry into the playoffs, just suspensions.  I might be wrong though.

Can’t find anything that confirms this. It looks like the group stage and the play-offs are all part of a single competition (the preliminary competition) and two yellow cards in either the group stage or the play-offs mean a suspension. Only thing I can find is that yellow cards (and any suspensions for 2 yellow cards in separate games) don’t carry over to the finals, but red cards do.

From the World Cup Regulation 15

“Single yellow cards and pending suspensions as a consequence of cautions received in different matches in the preliminary competition of the FIFA World Cup 2022TM are not carried over to the final competition. Pending match suspensions imposed as a result of a direct or an indirect red card in matches in the preliminary competition of the FIFA World Cup 2022TM are carried over to the final competition.

If a player receives two cautions in two different matches, he will be automatically suspended from his team’s subsequent match.”

So, I think if you got one yellow in the group stage and one yellow in the play-off semi-final, you’d miss the play-off final.

World Cup Regulations

1 minute ago, Flash said:

Can’t find anything that confirms this. It looks like the group stage and the play-offs are all part of a single competition (the preliminary competition) and two yellow cards in either the group stage or the play-offs mean a suspension. Only thing I can find is that yellow cards (and any suspensions for 2 yellow cards in separate games) don’t carry over to the finals, but red cards do.

From the World Cup Regulation 15

“Single yellow cards and pending suspensions as a consequence of cautions received in different matches in the preliminary competition of the FIFA World Cup 2022TM are not carried over to the final competition. Pending match suspensions imposed as a result of a direct or an indirect red card in matches in the preliminary competition of the FIFA World Cup 2022TM are carried over to the final competition.

If a player receives two cautions in two different matches, he will be automatically suspended from his team’s subsequent match.”

So, I think if you got one yellow in the group stage and one yellow in the play-off semi-final, you’d miss the play-off final.

World Cup Regulations

No, I'm definitely not 100% on it, I'm basing it on a sketchy memory of how they have done it previously.  It would be extremely unfair for teams who've played 2 more games to have to carry bookings into the playoffs though.  There's other teams in a worse position than us as well, Turkey have got a shitload of players on a yellow.