Scotland v Denmark

Scary Bear

Were you once mugged in Liverpool?

Yeah a clear nonsense.
Hansen and Souness were first choice centre back and centre mid of the best side in Europe - as their European cup medals show.
Dalglish was their Centre Forward too.
Despite having the spine of the best side in Europe (the world?), we still couldn’t get out the group.
The underachievement of the 80’s side is on an industrial scale

55 minutes ago, Lex said:

Yeah a clear nonsense.
Hansen and Souness were first choice centre back and centre mid of the best side in Europe - as their European cup medals show.
Dalglish was their Centre Forward too.
Despite having the spine of the best side in Europe (the world?), we still couldn’t get out the group.
The underachievement of the 80’s side is on an industrial scale

It really is. I think almost 50% of the 1986 side had a European medal and we had one of the best managers the game has seen to boot.

Edited by Enigma

2 hours ago, Enigma said:

It really is. I think almost 50% of the 1986 side had a European medal and we had one of the best managers the game has seen to boot.

In the eighties we had two of the best managers the game has ever seen.

Stein in 82 and Ferguson in 86.

We also had a multitude of world class players in both those eighties WC squads....and throughout our sixties and seventies teams.

We very much underachieved in those decades. Disgracefully so.

4 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

In the eighties we had two of the best managers the game has ever seen.

Stein in 82 and Ferguson in 86.

We also had a multitude of world class players in both those eighties WC squads....and throughout our sixties and seventies teams.

We very much underachieved in those decades. Disgracefully so.

In the 66 qualifying we had Italy and the 70 qualifying was West Germany. Undefeated in Germany 74. Allys army in 78 where no scouting was done on Peru and Iran. 82 was the Miller Hansen crash that cost us and 86 big Roy Aitken had a legit goal against Denmark called offside. Fine margins. Even in 90 we wasted a barrowload of chances v Costa Rica. 

Depressing really if we factor in the Euros campaigns as well

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think there's any reason to doubt the legitimacy of Hanley's or McTominay's absences (particular the latter who actually met up with the squad for a few days but was ill), and Fraser's was already picked up as being dodgy.

I like the fact mctominay's inclusion is being called to question it says a lot about the strength in depth of our squad now and no doubt will make that young man hungrier . I dont see much of a deserter in mcsauce .

Wee fraser on the other hand... hope im wrang on that one . 

Edited by greenockraver

14 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think there's any reason to doubt the legitimacy of Hanley's or McTominay's absences (particular the latter who actually met up with the squad for a few days but was ill), and Fraser's was already picked up as being dodgy.

I saw the Norwich game against Brentford that Hanley was injured in and it was definitely an injury. Got hurt first half and the commentators were remarking on being surprised he came out for the second half.

I was quite annoyed that they played him with an injury (it was fairly clear he wasn’t 100%) and not at all surprised he wasn’t fit for the squad.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Austria being above us in the rankings is wild.  I'd imagine we'll overtake them soon enough.

They did better than us at the Euros and that's also why the Czech Republic improvement in the rankings is so good despite them finishing 3rd in WCQ.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

They did better than us at the Euros and that's also why the Czech Republic improvement in the rankings is so good despite them finishing 3rd in WCQ.

Yeah, I know how the world rankings work, I just know we're better than Austria and I have no doubt we will overtake them.

Edited by TheScarf

11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Sort of comment that's not in any way going to come back to haunt us when we get drawn against Austria in the playoff. 🙄

You'd take it TBH. Barring a sudden change in form, they'll be anybody's in the play-offs. Some of their defending against Israel was hilarious.

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Sort of comment that's not in any way going to come back to haunt us when we get drawn against Austria in the playoff. 🙄

Well I mean you could say that about any prediction in the history of football.