Scotland v Denmark

Scary Bear

10 hours ago, Delicate Flower said:

The other thing here is the utter dismissal of Kenny McLean by most. I think that’s unfair. Never  let us down. I’m happy with him as backup.

Folk, including me, are just saying he isnt as good as Jack. Which he isnt. Dont see how that constitutes 'utter dismissal'. If everyone's fit McLean's 6th choice midfielder at best behind McGinn (& his arse), McGregor, Gilmour, McTominay and Jack. And thats still considering him ahead of the likes of Ferguson, Fleck and Turnbull. And without even considering the likes of Christie, Armstrong, Fraser, Forrest, etc as midfielders as they tend to play more as support strikers.

I know we have periods when the likes of Bremner or Souness ruled midfield, and a time when we had the likes of Collins, McStay, McAllister and McCall at the same time but I'm not sure we've ever had the great depth of midfielders that we do currently. We could miss our entire first choice midfield and still field a midfield as good as any in the last 30 years plus! 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I'm quite happy to support SD here and say it's very cut and dried that Ryan Jack is better than Kenny McLean. 

I’d disagree. They’re on a similar level but are also fairly different players. Jack is good at sitting deep and breaking up play, intercepting the ball and keeping it moving in midfield. He has played higher for Rangers at times but I think he’s best in front of the defence as he does so well in Europe.

McLean often starts from deep as well but is much more progressive, has a better eye for a pass over a longer range and can carry the ball forward.

Both performed to a fairly equal standard for Aberdeen until Jack left. McLean really kicked on at that point and was probably the top performing midfielder in the league in the months before moving to Norwich. Jack has since improved whilst McLean has kept his place in the Premier League in a poor Norwich team, without necessarily setting the heather alight.

1 minute ago, lubo_blaha said:

I’d disagree. They’re on a similar level but are also fairly different players. Jack is good at sitting deep and breaking up play, intercepting the ball and keeping it moving in midfield. He has played higher for Rangers at times but I think he’s best in front of the defence as he does so well in Europe.

McLean often starts from deep as well but is much more progressive, has a better eye for a pass over a longer range and can carry the ball forward.

Both performed to a fairly equal standard for Aberdeen until Jack left. McLean really kicked on at that point and was probably the top performing midfielder in the league in the months before moving to Norwich. Jack has since improved whilst McLean has kept his place in the Premier League in a poor Norwich team, without necessarily setting the heather alight.

I've highlighted the bit that I think sets them apart. Ryan Jack has been one of the best players on the pitch in European matches for Rangers and in International matches for Scotland. Kenny McLean has been dependable and I value him as a squad player, but I don't think he can quite boss a game in the way Jack can - I concede the fact they are slightly different players plays it's part in this but I still think Jack is a better all round player than McLean. 

On 17/11/2021 at 20:51, Ewan8472 said:

I expected him to play in 1986 world cup but he threw his toys out the pram because h*ns*n was not in squad

As he was right to do. McLeish instead of Hansen is like Gerry & The Pacemakers instead of The Beatles, Friends instead of Seinfeld, Walter Smith instead of Alex Ferguson, Tony Blair instead of Clement Atlee, Andy Cameron instead of Billy Connolly etcetera etcetera etbloddycetera. So there ! And same goes twice over if it was Willie Miller picked over Hansen. ........on reflection maybe Walter Smith instead of Ferguson for Mexico 86 only.

I thought after the Cyprus and Belgium games in 2019 that McLean might actually kick on and become a fairly regular starter for us, as he played well in those two games and Norwich had just been promoted.

Everyone else - except Fleck maybe - has kicked on while he's sort of stayed the same though.

Jack will get back in the squad but will be understudy to Gilmour now. 

Kenny McLean is a different type of midfielder to Jack. Kenny is more likely to be understudy to McGregor as they are more similar. 

Lewis Ferguson would most likely be the one to sit out if Jack came back into the squad. 

6 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Different types of midfielders for sure. 

Personally I think McLean has a far superior range of passing to Jack. Jack better defensively. 

23 hours ago, General dissaray said:

Campbell was doing really well for Luton before his injury and is back playing for them now

Luton might be a smaller club but the football they play isn't unattractive and they play in the same 352 as the bonnie boys do

Campbell will break into the squad soon enough possibly for a nations league game,because there isn't a lot off his type around at the moment 

Lots off people liken him to John McGinn meaning that he can attack or sit

He is on Sky tonight so a good chance to see how he is getting on

7 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

As he was right to do. McLeish instead of Hansen is like Gerry & The Pacemakers instead of The Beatles, Friends instead of Seinfeld, Walter Smith instead of Alex Ferguson, Tony Blair instead of Clement Atlee, Andy Cameron instead of Billy Connolly etcetera etcetera etbloddycetera. So there ! And same goes twice over if it was Willie Miller picked over Hansen. ........on reflection maybe Walter Smith instead of Ferguson for Mexico 86 only.

Garbage !

Hansen cost us as much as Souness failure wise They were overrated and deserved each other !

The Rutles were mince as well

Edited by Ewan8472