Scotland v Denmark

Scary Bear

Happy to be told if I have just missed all of Jack's stand-out games - I can only judge with what I have seen.  The consensus seems to be that he is a crucial player for Scotland - the statistics however seem to show that the team are better without him.

What statistics are you looking at?

Ryan Jack has played 8 competitive games for Scotland and we’ve won 6 of them [emoji28]

45 minutes ago, Streets of Raith said:

Jack was magnificent in the Serbia game. He had earned his shirt in the XI for the Euros at that point.

Whether he can break up the Gilmour-McGregor pairing remains to be seen. No reason to make a change at the moment.

If Jack becomes a regular for Rangers again then you'd have to assume he'd take Lewis Ferguson's spot. 

Getting back in the first 11? I think the consensus at the moment is firmly in favour of keeping Gilmour and McGregor together. Next in line would almost certainly be a fit McTominay, especially with the amount of CBs we have at the moment. Then Premier League player, Kenny McLean, would be next. Jack might be 5th in the pecking order. Possibly 6th if Clarke was willing to drop McGinn deep again. (I'm not in favour of this)

I think he is a great player, and it wasn't so long ago I'd have preferred him to McGregor, but a lot has changed in a year.

1 hour ago, StinkyGarth said:

I think you are confusing great performances with great results.

Whilst the rest of us think you've set out the result you want at the start (Ryan Jack = not good enough for Scotland) and have subsequently set about finding bizarre reasons to try to back your desire up.

Nobody's saying he's a vitally important automatic starter for Scotland, though he probably was before his injury. The emergence of Gilmour makes it less likely he'd come straight back into the starting eleven if fit now, but the notion he wouldn't be a crucial part of the squad is nonsense. He'd certainly be first back up for Gilmour. He, along with McTominay, would also be first cover for McGregor, and probably also for McGinn. He'd certainly be ahead of people like McLean and Ferguson, possibly Turnbull though I accept he's playing a different midfield role. And for now at least, miles ahead of Allan Campbell.

Jack's absence at the Euros definitely feels like an underrated contributor to our early exit. He'd probably have started every game and, even if you don't rate him that highly, the balance of the midfield in the Hampden matches was way off without two passers in the middle.

On the other hand, he might have delayed Gilmour's emergence otherwise, so maybe it worked out for the best. He's still a really good option to have and he'd have been my first choice replacement if Gilmour had picked up a suspension the other night.

Ryan Jack was a huge miss v the Czechs at Hampden. He would have been the answer to the Czechs high pressing game. As would have young Billy who imho is nailed on to start every game.

He would be a valuable addition to a squad that has improved leaps and bounds. 

Jack was excellent versus Serbia. Possibly other games, I can’t remember analysing his performance to any extent. He doesn’t get in the team now unless an injury to McGregor or Gilmour. The other thing here is the utter dismissal of Kenny McLean by most. I think that’s unfair. Never  let us down. I’m happy with him as backup.

21 minutes ago, Delicate Flower said:

Jack was excellent versus Serbia. Possibly other games, I can’t remember analysing his performance to any extent. He doesn’t get in the team now unless an injury to McGregor or Gilmour. The other thing here is the utter dismissal of Kenny McLean by most. I think that’s unfair. Never  let us down. I’m happy with him as backup.

and a good man to have on the pitch with the prospect of penalties.

I think the semi will be the first time there has ever been a Scotland game at Hampden that has the prospect of extra-time and penalties (with fans allowed in that is - I realise the Israel semi had the same scenario) Previous play-offs had that prospect at the end of the second leg and both were away. 

Edited by Caledonian1

Jack played in both systems I'd say - in the semi against Israel we had Dykes and McBurnie up front and in the final we had Dykes on his own with Christie and McGinn in behind.
He didn't play in a Scotland team that had 1 defensive midfielder with two ahead of him like we saw during the summer and beyond. Jack would've slotted into that 1 quite nicely but I'm not sure if it was to compensate for missing him.

2 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

I think the semi will be the first time there has ever been a Scotland game at Hampden that has the prospect of extra-time and penalties (with fans allowed in that is - I realise the Israel semi had the same scenario) Previous play-offs had that prospect at the end of the second leg and both were away. 

Would the Rous Cup in 1985 have gone to penalties had there not been a winner?

10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Jack will walk into the squad ahead of the likes of McLean and Ferguson. He was a crucial player for us very briefly and has been superb for Rangers in Europe - look how much they have missed him. We don't really have another grafter like him for those big games.

Campbell will need to focus on actually getting a game for the "unattractive" Luton Town before he can even think about a move or getting near a Scotland call-up.

Campbell was doing really well for Luton before his injury and is back playing for them now

Luton might be a smaller club but the football they play isn't unattractive and they play in the same 352 as the bonnie boys do

Campbell will break into the squad soon enough possibly for a nations league game,because there isn't a lot off his type around at the moment 

Lots off people liken him to John McGinn meaning that he can attack or sit

4 hours ago, General dissaray said:

Campbell was doing really well for Luton before his injury and is back playing for them now

Luton might be a smaller club but the football they play isn't unattractive and they play in the same 352 as the bonnie boys do

Campbell will break into the squad soon enough possibly for a nations league game,because there isn't a lot off his type around at the moment 

Lots off people liken him to John McGinn meaning that he can attack or sit

Absolutely no one in Britain bar you has ever likened him to John McGinn