Scotland v Denmark

Scary Bear

Given what was at stake and the quality of the opposition (absentees notwithstanding), that was easily the best Scotland performance I've seen in the flesh. Our big wins in the last couple of decades have usually been defined by desperate defending and a bit of luck, but we showed last night that we're a proper team who can keep calm, soak up pressure and make intelligent decisions on the ball. Even at 2-0 I wasn't completely sure we'd win the game, but that's probably my own neurosis - objectively it was a very comfortable win which was never really under much threat.

The fact Souttar came in and put in that performance just makes it even sweeter. Only a few months ago, one poster on here claimed he was comfortably the worst defender we've capped in the last 5 years and he wouldn't get a game for a top 6 club. It was a dreadful take even at the time and he's still got a bit to go before he proves himself as an international defender, but what a brilliant turnaround in that time.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Mine is Uruguay in 1986. I know I saw at least one of the other games, but Uruguay sticks in the memory. 0-0 against an utterly mediocre bunch of cloggers who played with ten men for everything bar the opening twenty seconds. Welcome to supporting Scotland, son.

Mine as well. I mostly remember my old man and his pals going mental about the challenge and making lots of GIRUY gestures when Batista walked. For years and years afterwards he held a hate boner for Uruguay, Argentina and Italy for cynicism - it’s only the recent Euros final that’s shaken it out of him. Shockingly enough. 

17 minutes ago, DC92 said:

The fact Souttar came in and put in that performance just makes it even sweeter. Only a few months ago, one poster on here claimed he was comfortably the worst defender we've capped in the last 5 years and he wouldn't get a game for a top 6 club. It was a dreadful take even at the time and he's still got a bit to go before he proves himself as an international defender, but what a brilliant turnaround in that time.

I've been banging the drum for Souttar ever since he broke into the United team. He was a regular at centre back at 16, but the crazy brigade thought that he would be a better midfielder because he was 'comfortable on the ball' and not strong enough!

It might've taken 9 years, but I for one am fucking delighted to see him put in a performance like that for Scotland - always knew he had it in him.

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

Mine as well. I mostly remember my old man and his pals going mental about the challenge and making lots of GIRUY gestures when Batista walked. For years and years afterwards he held a hate boner for Uruguay, Argentina and Italy for cynicism - it’s only the recent Euros final that’s shaken it out of him. Shockingly enough. 

To be fair, all three were utterly grim in the days when you could get away with virtually anything on a football field. Uruguay in particular were very keen on the old ultraviolence.

Italy still maintain a streak of gamesmanship that occasionally proves most amusing.

Spoiler

c39.gif

2 minutes ago, Tartan Blood said:

I know, right?! The best highlights I've found is the 5min Sky Sports one. If anyone knows where to watch extended highlights, or even the whole game, I'd love to know.

I’ve learned over time that I need to record actual Sportcene on my Sky Q box and then I can watch it on any device in the house. 
The iPlayer thing is inexplicable. 

There will be under 21 and womens highlights on there but not the actual Scotland team.

I'm absolutely exhausted after that. Got in at about 1am but took hours to get to sleep due to the adrenaline running through me. It's been a while since I was at a packed Hampden and what a game to return for.

Those last few minutes after Adams scored were some of the most enjoyable moments I've had as a football fan. We'd played so well I honestly thought we were gonna score one or two more.

All 11 starters were brilliant, and none of the subs put a foot wrong. It seems unfair to pick anyone out but Adams was utterly sensational. As others have said, he consistently won battles where he was second favourite, against really good, physical defenders, then managed to hold it and link up with team mates. That goal will go down as one of my all time favourites, it reminded me of McFadden v Ukraine, a late sealer in an outstanding team performance where I had full confidence he'd finish it.

I could easily go through every player but need to get to bed. A quick word for Souttar though, who seemed to clear everything when we were under pressure mid way through the second half. Hopefully he's over the horrendous injuries and can fulfill some of the potential he showed at such a young age. 25 is fairly young for a centre-half, Hendry and Hanley are evidence of that.

I'm still not sure how good we actually are, we have had some poor performances in recent times. We've steadily improved under Clarke though, are building real depth in almost every position and regular sellouts at Hampden are going to give us a huge boost. I fucking love this team and can't wait to see where they go from here.

5 hours ago, the snudge said:

As it stands John McGinn is the most fouled player in European qualifying.

Adams was caught offside the most.

Kenny McLean is 3rd for passing accuracy.

KT is 4th for balls recovered.

Adamzaghi