Scotland v Denmark

Scary Bear

there's more to come from this side as well, I mean robertson who had a  pretty good euros IMO, has been a mixed bag recently israel he was excellent, last night had some good and bad , and the faroes he had a bit of a stinker but if he finds his club form too , thats another bonus.

one other  thing I will give credit to clarke ,tierney and robertson for , is the lack of chances that are being created from our defensive left hand side, at the start of this we did look a bit suspect defensively on that side and a bit unsure but we really do look solid down that side now.

Italy are by far the best team in the playoffs and I would happily avoid them completely.

Everyone else, including Portugal who seem like a collection of highly talented individuals but eminently beatable as a team, I'd give us a good chance of beating at Hampden.

No away games please.

Let’s be real. I know that Denmark didn’t have much to play for last night, but they would have undoubtedly been hoping to maintain that unbeaten record. With the exception of Italy, they’re a better side than all of the play-off teams right now. To summarise, we’re going to Qatar.

Still buzzing.

We started last night with three of our back five not being first choice. SOD is now second choice, Cooper has bided his time waiting for a chance and Souttar has had his injury problems but none of them looked like they shouldn't be there. When I saw the line up and Dykes was missing, I was a bit concerned for our chances but step forward Che Adams who was sublime. Even when we started tiring, the subs come on and fit in seamlessly to the set up. That is enormous credit to Stevie Clarke. The strength in depth we have is frightening. Some of the passages of play were fabulous. The intricate passing out of defence for the Adams/Robbo chance, Adams goal and the McGinn/Adams/Armstrong which was only prevented from going in by a great stop from Kjaer. Some What a time to be a Scotland fan.

When the draw is made, I think our opponents will wince when they see thereselves up against us at Hampden. 

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I mean, are they not one of those sides who always half arse qualifiers but take it up a level when it's needed?

Just now I think we could scare them but it's not a fixture I'd be holding much hope for.

A win last night would've avoided any need for play-offs for them and they fucked it. I wouldn't expect us to win it, but I would have hope that we could. 

4 hours ago, Rugbyroader said:

Can somebody tell me why everyone turned their mobile phone light on in the 65th minute? Noticed the same thing happening at Moldova and Israel matches. Must have missed the memo. 

It was in conjunction with one or other song being sung by the crowd, I forget which (probably Flower of Scotland).

It shouldn’t be forgotten that Italy failed to beat not just any Northern Ireland side, but a Northern Ireland side managed by Ian Baraclough who’s only victories have been against Malta, Lithuania (x2) and Estonia.

I wouldn’t want to face them - North Macedonia followed by Finland please - but that’s a pretty embarrassing feat for them. 

What a night that was! Hampden was amazing, and reading through this thread today has fair soothed my hangover. I thought that was a real "coming of age" game for this team. I know we shouldn't get too carried away, but that was such a fantastic, mature performance for a team that know exactly what's expected of them, have confidence in the system and each other and they are so fucking brave on the ball as well.

I don't think it can be overstated just how well they controlled that match. The whole game was played on Scotland's terms. When we needed to score in the first we put the foot on their throat till the pressure broke them, with Schmeichael flapping at crosses, screaming at the ref and his defenders because he couldn't cope being a glorious sight. When we needed to defend we did so on our terms, with Denmark only really being allowed to play where Scotland let them, and during that period we counted brilliantly, always looked dangerous, and in reality, always looked way more likely to score a second than Denmark did to equalise. Everyone played their part, everyone was brilliant. I'm just gutted we now have to wait so long to see this team again. I wish the playoffs were tomorrow!

4 hours ago, StinkyGarth said:

I don't watch the English Premiership, but if John McGinn plays like that for Aston Villa every week, then it won't be a surprise if he finds himself at a much bigger club soon.  Would be great to have a Scottish player at one of the Italian or Spanish giants - that hasn't happened for many years.  I remember no-one batting an eyelid when Archibald got his move to Barca!!

Just for clarity, would they need to make a separate bid for John McGinn's arse or do they come as a job lot?

John McGinn's arse is an outstanding player for Scotland.

11 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

It shouldn’t be forgotten that Italy failed to beat not just any Northern Ireland side, but a Northern Ireland side managed by Ian Baraclough who’s only victories have been against Malta, Lithuania (x2) and Estonia.

I wouldn’t want to face them - North Macedonia followed by Finland please - but that’s a pretty embarrassing feat for them. 

It should probably also be remembered that this Italy team have played 19 matches since March and are likely absolutely knackered.

13 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Wonder if we'll be due any significant push up the rankings for the last year or so's efforts. We've only moved up 8 places or something in the last 2-3 years.

The ones for November are out of the 22nd I think.  Currently 42nd but we should break the top 40 easy.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Boys in my work claiming it was Denmark's reserve team and folk are getting ahead of themselves. What a country we are. 

Aye i've seen a few folk saying similar online, conveniently ignoring the fact that we were without 4 nailed on starters too, including the player our system has effectively been built around in Dykes. 

Edited by Fratelli

33 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

It was in conjunction with one or other song being sung by the crowd, I forget which (probably Flower of Scotland).

When and why did this suddenly become a thing though? First I noticed it was Moldova or Israel. 

As for Clarke leaving for something else it would have to be a job at a club in the South. He came to Killie due to family links. His brother played for Killie and he is a Killie fan. 

I doubt that Middlesbrough, Sheffield Utd etc would interest him.

Personally, I think the Scotland position suits him as it allows him to spend time with his family and grandchildren who live in the South.

He is also a loyal person so I don’t think he’ll leave mid contract. I could see him at the likes of Fulham but his stock is currently higher than being Fulham manager IMO.

44 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

A win last night would've avoided any need for play-offs for them and they fucked it. I wouldn't expect us to win it, but I would have hope that we could. 

I don't see the point in looking at one off results tbh, Spain are the only side to beat them since 2018. We're playing well and that just now, but we're still levels behind nations like Italy.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't see the point in looking at one off results tbh, Spain are the only side to beat them since 2018. We're playing well and that just now, but we're still levels behind nations like Italy.

Totally agree. Still think we can beat them in a one off game.