Scotland v Denmark

Scary Bear

Didn't twig it during the game but having watched the highlights despite Adams giving him a torrid time Kjaer has really had a cracking game for the Danes.  Stopped last night turning into a right tanking for them.

Top player and seems a top guy. Don't think many folk will ever forget what he, Schmeichel and the rest of the Denmark squad did at the Euros.

I don't watch the English Premiership, but if John McGinn plays like that for Aston Villa every week, then it won't be a surprise if he finds himself at a much bigger club soon. 

Villa signed a bunch of attackers in the summer to replace Grealish so McGinn has been much more reserved this season. He definitely doesn't get the same freedom for them as he does for us, and I'll be interested to see how Gerrard uses McGinn if he sticks with the same system that he used at Rangers considering Kamara and Jack's roles at times.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Well thanks for that It won't be a popular sentiment on here.

Triumph can be ugly I suppose (see George Square in May).

It's the strangest experience though.  You're jumping around the house, hugging family when that second goal goes in.  A couple of posters have a dig about you having criticised the scorer much earlier.  You respond by saying it was a great goal, but you thought there were flaws in aspects of his performance, and the place goes mad. 

People are calling you the worst names we've got and being showered in green dots for it.  You amass dozens of the red ones yourself and not just from Marshmallo.  It's probably a study in group psychology.  When vicious aggression is widespread enough to acquire legitimacy, it becomes terribly attractive.  

It's a strange direction to have a great night take.  

But a great night it was.  A brilliant team performance, with the midfield exceptional.  Our capacity these days for tight, neat passing which leads to openings is quite something and takes a bit of getting used to from a Scotland team.

Roll on March, when I'll be sure to criticise nobody, especially if we win.

It's just tiring. We're on a very good run of form right now with clear improvements in our shape and organisation happening in every camp, yet after every single game on here we've got weirdos posting 10 second clips of Billy Gilmour losing the ball or criticising Che Adams after 10 minutes of football. As I said after the last round of games, too many folk love to concentrate on the negative in this country and you reinforcing the fact that you thought Adams made mistakes last night, even after he had scored and bossed much of the game, encapsulates that. The boy's just ran his heart out and scored the goal that sealed the game for us, just lay off on the "aye but..." stuff and nobody would give a f**k.

God, what a performance. Gilmour, McGinn, Tierney, Adams...these lads are genuinely top-tier operators. 

It's amazing what a sniff of success can do for your appreciation of international football. I've been happy to dismiss it as irrelevant shite on various occasions over the last 25 years - as has a sizeable proportion of this forum. It's all a cover to mask continual disappointment. Caught up in the Hampden euphoria there's nowhere you'd rather be.

Seen some dark dark times as a scotland fan of over 40 years so this is just great to watch. Not the night to single out anyone, they were all superb.

Huge credit to Clarke, people will say he has a good group to work with but he's got them all turning up (something his predecessors struggled with) and he has them so well organised, he has brought younger ones in at the right time and is just getting everything right, its maybe just his nature but it was telling at the end when he lets the players take the adulation from the crowd and just steps back, he knows his role, has no ego whatsoever, doesn't get carried away. To think there were some muppets on here and on twitter etc wanting him sacked after the two draws. I even think Clarke has learned a lot from the euro games aswel, will be interesting to see if McTominay, Hanley, Patterson and Dykes come straight back in but confident Clarke will get it right.

Pleased to see plenty of people saying that's the best Scotland performance in decades and I know it's not just me getting carried away with an absolutely tremendous night: that was probably the best atmosphere I've experienced at Hampden as well (I've chosen my games to miss very well with not being at the Israel or England games in recent years).

We've all seen Scotland play well against good teams, be the better team against good teams, deserve a win and defend doggedly against good teams, but I'm 30 years old and I don't recall ever seeing us comprehensively outplay a good team the way we did last night, to the point that a 2-0 win flattered our opponents. The last game I think you could even debate being as good is Wembley in 99, but even that that there's the context of being 2-0 down from the first leg and also I was 8, I'm not really in a position to make a coherent tactical comparison.

I've been a critic of Clarke at times and doubted the back three for longer than a lot of people, but the way this group has played out is tremendous. We've only dropped seven points in the entire group which is a magnificent record and testament to how far we've come from the rabble Clarke inherited. There's going to be at least one very difficult tie to come, but that no team would be looking forward to getting Scotland says a lot about the job he's done.

5 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Seen some dark dark times as a scotland fan of over 40 years so this is just great to watch. Not the night to single out anyone, they were all superb.

Huge credit to Clarke, people will say he has a good group to work with but he's got them all turning up (something his predecessors struggled with) and he has them so well organised, he has brought younger ones in at the right time and is just getting everything right, its maybe just his nature but it was telling at the end when he lets the players take the adulation from the crowd and just steps back, he knows his role, has no ego whatsoever, doesn't get carried away. To think there were some muppets on here and on twitter etc wanting him sacked after the two draws. I even think Clarke has learned a lot from the euro games aswel, will be interesting to see if McTominay, Hanley, Patterson and Dykes come straight back in but confident Clarke will get it right.

Aye, it's been a painful birth, and there were times when it looked like we were repeating the same mistakes, but Clarke seems to have actually been learning, and it's hard to criticise his selection policy if it's led to this kind of performance. Having a group of players who know each other and are clearly becoming very comfortable with their positioning and tactics appears to have paid off big-style, even if if means there's no place for some other quality players we're yet to cap.

Knowing the SFA, it's still probably more luck than good judgement, but extending his contract early seems like it was remarkably prescient. He doesn't seem the type to go chasing glamour, but hopefully Clarke fancies a long-term stint with Scotland rather than using us as a stepping-stone to the lower reaches of the EPL. At least Rangers appears to be out of the question  :P

How long do iplayer give it before showing the previous day's programmes? Patiently awaiting Sportscene highlights and I'm pissed off that I might have to start doing something with my day soon until they;re available.
I'm just watching the Moldova highlights again instead.

Aye, that was a good laugh. Pretty much all bar a few of our squad have been either written off, chastised as being the manager's favourite or had horrendous luck with injury but at the moment you'd fancy us to give anyone a tough game at Hampden.

Even though it was a weaker Danish side they looked very slick but we never looked like we'd buckle under any pressure. On the ball, we were different class. You've got a core of players who will go out and run all night for their country. There were no passengers. Delighted for John Souttar - having seen Lewis Vaughan do his ACL four times at Rovers, it makes Souttar's situation very understandable.

The link up play with Adams and the midfield was fantastic. Armstrong's pass and Che's timing of his run for the second were ridiculous. On another night it might have been 3 or 4.

The atmosphere through the game was top class. It felt different to Israel where it was more a release of joy after they tried to shithouse a draw for 45 minutes. Everyone at the ground was 100% behind the team. Its refreshing to see so many younger fans going to games. With the lockdown and having a more consistent team, people want to get to games which surely benefits the players. Long may it continue.

18 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I don't recall ever seeing us comprehensively outplay a good team the way we did last night

One of the top sides in Europe & the world, m8y.

joco-smoking.gif

How long do iplayer give it before showing the previous day's programmes? Patiently awaiting Sportscene highlights and I'm pissed off that I might have to start doing something with my day soon until they;re available.

The goals and other chances are on YouTube if you need a fix for now.