Scotland v Denmark

Scary Bear

1 minute ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I love Scotland winning and I love going to watch them....

... however, I wish we'd give that "We'll be coming down the road" ditty a miss, I find it grating..

Probably an unpopular viewpoint but just my grumpy old man musings.

Yep.

That's a grumpy old man musing.

My wee boy's second game after Moldova and what a fucking experience for him. I waited 30 years for a performance and result like that! 

Gordon massive when called upon. SOD, christ I remember him running 50 yards in the first half to make a tackle on the 18 yard line! Cooper, Souttar, Tierney, three giants at the back. Second half Souttar cleared the ball out our box three times in a row in the same period of play! Robertson, one of his best performances in a Scotland jersey for me!

Gilmour, how is this boy 20 years old? Much made of Denmark's form before the game and he ran the show against them. McGinn with another performance that shows why he is the new fans' favourite. In the mad crush to get in the bogs at half time the wee man says to me "we should use the old John McGinn move" 🤣 Take ball in, shove giant arse in to opposition player, and either win a foul or proceed to burst past three players and play a worldie pass. I love everything about the way he plays the game. Mcgregor, hardly put a foot wrong. Christie, that quick 1-2 passing move he started at the edge of our own box that resulted in Adams shooting instead of squaring to Robbo... one of the best moves I've seen from a scotland team!

As for Adams, led the line fantastically well and what a finish!

I just cant help but rave about that performance. An absolute privilege to be there tonight. 

Edited by deadasdillinger

19 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

It would be funny reading the match thread from our last home game pre-Covid and compare it to this one. I've always loved watching Scotland but it hadn't been a proper national team for so long. It absolutely is now.

Something i've really noticed recently too. I've been going to games for years, but was often met with the  'what you bothering with that lot for?' type of stuff from pals etc, particularly during the Levein/early Strachan era. I think the general mood towards the national team was at a real low during McLeish's second spell, to the point where you couldn't give tickets away. Folk simply weren't arsed and at some points your average punter probably couldn't tell you who we were playing that week. Since the Euros i've seen a drastic increase in kids kicking about in Scotland strips, folk going to games and folk who completely ignored the national team or were apathetic at best previously, now taking a real interest on social media etc. It's great to see, and it's actually a positive that it's a wee bit harder to get tickets now. From some of the crowd shots tonight, the place was rammed with folk taking their kids and teenagers, which is what it's all about really. A few years ago Scotland games were generally attended by the die hard, slightly masochistic bunch like myself who went almost out of habit. Amongst the achievements on the park, creating a bit of a buzz around the national team and getting folk engaged again has been one of Clarke and this squad's biggest achievements so far. 

Ace that, for years, we've bemoaned the lack of a "freak" player like Bale, Ibrahimovic or Ronaldo, then we finally hit exceptional form with no one player being the key. I know some people might argue Billy Gilmour, but McLean was excellent when he came on. McGregor and Jack fill out that position and you get the feeling Amy of those 4 would play it brilliantly any time SC played them.
In that respect Scotland remind me of - ironically - Denmark - with their broad depth of talent, without relying on any one player.

In the rush to give players and Clarke a lot of credit (all due) I want to give some props to Austin McPhee. Since he's come in to specifically work on set plays we've played four games and in two of those games we've scored absolutely vital goals from well worked set plays. Our defending from corners etc looks much better too.

A very shrewd appointment by Sir Steve.

My last game at Hampden was the 4-0 spanking from Belgium in September 2019. That game tonight was different class. Great performance from the team. Adams was excellent at holding the ball up and took his goal well. Could have had a hat trick on another night. Gilmour had a great game too. The whole team played well.

He took his goal brilliantly after a frustrating overall performance.
It was a good header for Armstrong a minute later too.
Tell me you know absolutely nothing about Association Football, without telling me you know absolutely nothing about Association Football.

What a night, absolutely buzzing.

They were rattled AF in that first half, what sight to see, genuinely great teams getting the fear at Hampden.

Che edges Souttar for MOTM for me. Him and WBG have been the real difference makers in us kicking on to another level. All the usual suspects brilliant but some of the unsung heroes were incredible. SoD solid as a truck. Souttar, immense she what a fairytale. McGregor possibly best I've ever seen him, seems to love playing with WBG. Even Christie was decent. Did get the fear when I saw McKenna coming on but we, and Che, finished with aplomb.

This team FFS, didn't imagine I'd ever not be relentlessly pessimistic and cynical about the national team again, but it's happened! [emoji3590][emoji1316][emoji1022]󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Now’s probably a good time to say I once saw John Souttar in Tesco Dalkeith circa 2017. He had a red face. He looked at me from a distance and smiled when he saw me. Like he knew me. Like I knew him. Like he knew one day we would fall in love. 
:wub:

Just back from Hampden and that was some experience and some atmosphere. I am wondering what Steve Clarke has done with the real Scotland National Football team though. Is he feeding them slops in a basement in darkest Ayrshire?

Edited by Aim Here